Cartridge Pen Contest Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

Hey...there's our first DQ. Billy! It's interesting, it's a cool pen, but you must have missed the rules. You must use at least the 1st 3/4 section of a 30/06 or 308, somewhere in the pen. sorry, please try again.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Hey...there's our first DQ. Billy! It's interesting, it's a cool pen, but you must have missed the rules. You must use at least the 1st 3/4 section of a 30/06 or 308, somewhere in the pen. sorry, please try again.
Lets not be too fast to DQ. Maybe he gound one up really fine and used it to make metallic ink.

alamocdc

Yep, I missed that part. A little narrow minded from my line of thinking, but thems the rules. And I always abides by the rules.:biggrin:

Afterall, how many casing pens do you see made using a cigar kit?:wink:

Rollerbob

Billy, since it doesn't qualify.................nice pen, good job!!:biggrin: I think Jeff likes this role playing, being the shot caller and all. But he knows the pressure is on because he thought he was going to be able to keep his bounty! But that one little indian boy pen has some REAL strong contenders at this point in the game!!:tongue:

bobindayton

Here is my entry into the pot. Antler and a complete 30.06 including the bullet nib.
Bob

Attachments

• 100_0383.jpg
    100_0383.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 172

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jeff and everyone, I have not been able to keep up with the posts on this thread!! It has succeeded in stimulating an amazing amount of interest.

Jeff, please correct me if I forget anything or get anything backwards.

First Prize - Workinfor wood blanks
Second Prize - Wolftat blanks
Third Prize - Exoticblanks.com gift certificate.

Newbie prize - JohnnyCNC prize package

Random drawing prize - Ribanett cartridge buffing mandrels

Please list any other prizes I may have overlooked.

Also, we need someone with some computer smarts (obviously NOT me) to set up a poll for voting. Ideally, a poll thread should include the photos of each pen labeled with the maker. Also, need another poll for "Newbie" pens. Any volunteers contact either Jeff (workinforwood or me.)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
As long as you are DQing people, someone posted a 4th picture of their rocket pen on a stand. The rules say something about 3 pictures. I guess it doesn't really matter, my thumb pen is going to be a clean sweep anyways, you guys should see how it looks in person.

maxman400

Slim Line Cartridge Pen

Does this Qualify it is a 30 30 Winchester, Slim Line with Gun Metal Black trim and silver tip. With a home brew Red PR. :monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

Attachments

• 30 30 WIN 001.jpg
    30 30 WIN 001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 166

Rollerbob

OK I'm also going to donate a prize, the prize will be a Woodchuck made just for pens, I don't have any pictures of this tool because it's really not a production model, the tool body is 6 inches long 8-1/2 over all it can use a square cutter or a radius, it will come with the radius cutter. I'll try and get a picture of one up in a few days,
Cav, this was mentioned also. Something may have changed, but thought you might need to know.

:thunder:
As long as you are DQing people, someone posted a 4th picture of their rocket pen on a stand. The rules say something about 3 pictures. I guess it doesn't really matter, my thumb pen is going to be a clean sweep anyways, you guys should see how it looks in person.

I changed it so I only have three now :tongue:

Last edited:

workinforwood

Does this Qualify it is a 30 30 Winchester, Slim Line with Gun Metal Black trim and silver tip. With a home brew Red PR. :monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

I don't know Max. I would call it good enough at let it slip, because the bullet is so close to being the same as a 308 or 30/06 and you used the tapered neck section. Cav would be the final decision maker.

Cav...you missed two other random prizes. We have a Woodchuck from Ken and we have some bushings or sleeves <up to the winner> from Hans.!

David M

well i think we should keep them all the pens but there are some rules .... rules are rules .........like posting pictures here in this Cartridge Pen Contest Thread .
sorry skip your dip pen is also in another thread , as nice as it is ......

Also to quote workingforwood in Three Cheers For The Red, White And Blue!! post # 18
"I"m no casing expert, but I will be attempting to defend my prizes. Not only should this be a lot of fun, but it should inspire people to think outside the box. I'm pretty sure if you just take a bullet and put an antler section on top..you have no chance. Thanks Cav..and thanks for clarifying the rules are what they are and not changing. The rules are very simple and clear.

also when the contest first started wasnt we to post at lest two pictures , no more than 3 ..... for the judging .... okay just dont judge the single pictured pens ....

next as the Activities Manager posted in Three Cheers For The Red, White And Blue!! post # 41
"What the heck, let's say you can have two entries. As far as photos, no more than three photos of the entry. I would consider posting two photos for sure to make sure the judges can get a good feel for the entry. The contest thread will be in my Activities Director forum. I will post in other fora, particularly Casual Conversation to guide people to the contest."

so no more than 2 pens .... take another out ......
leaving fewer and fewer ....
but there only rules

Last edited:
well i think we should keep them all the pens but there are some rules .... rules are rules .........like posting pictures here in this Cartridge Pen Contest Thread .
sorry skip your dip pen is also in another thread , as nice as it is ......

Also to quote workingforwood in Three Cheers For The Red, White And Blue!! post # 18
"I"m no casing expert, but I will be attempting to defend my prizes. Not only should this be a lot of fun, but it should inspire people to think outside the box. I'm pretty sure if you just take a bullet and put an antler section on top..you have no chance. Thanks Cav..and thanks for clarifying the rules are what they are and not changing. The rules are very simple and clear.

also when the contest first started wasnt we to post at lest two pictures , no more than 3 ..... for the judging .... okay just dont judge the single pictured pens ....

next as the Activities Manager posted in Three Cheers For The Red, White And Blue!! post # 41
"What the heck, let's say you can have two entries. As far as photos, no more than three photos of the entry. I would consider posting two photos for sure to make sure the judges can get a good feel for the entry. The contest thread will be in my Activities Director forum. I will post in other fora, particularly Casual Conversation to guide people to the contest."

so no more than 2 pens .... take another out ......
leaving fewer and fewer ....
but there only rules

Apparently you missed this post, http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49093&highlight=cartridge+pen+contest

You should realy know what your takling about before you speak junior :)

MUDPUPPIE, Maybe you should make another entry pen if your worried about the competition instead of nitpicking on skippy and me :)

OK, the cartridge pen contest, while it has some amazing/awesome/crazy wild entries, is in a bit of a slump, action-wise.

With the approval of our contest Godfather, Jeff Workinforwood Powell, we are changing some of the rules.

UNLIMITED ENTRIES - Enter as many pens as your little fingers can turn. Hey, maybe someone will contact me to offer a prize for most entries! (Hint, Hint!!)

UNLIMITED TRASH TALKING - Anyone and everyone can trash talk the entries, no matter whether you have an entry or not. Again, maybe someone will step up and PM me that they are offering a prize for the best trash talk post. If so, we will figure out a way to vote on the best "trash post"!!

Come on, guys and gals, get to turning and trash talking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

David M

no just the one pen , havent and cant say anything bad about anyones pen . they all have had alot of work put into them ..... and showes the talent of the maker.....

David M

and yes i did miss the post ..... but in the first post in the contest Cartridge Pen Contest Thread
"
This thread is ONLY for the posting of photos of your entry in the cartridge pen contest. Once you have posted your entry, you can trash talk the other entries. NO NPGJ posts will be allowed in this thread. I will be in this forum daily, and will delete any posts other than photos of your entry and trash talking between contestants. Refer to the Red, White and Blue Thread for rules. Entries will be accepted from July 1 until July 31. Let's see your best work!! "

so i wasnt looking there ......
looking for rules in red whit and blue

THarvey

and yes i did miss the post ..... but in the first post in the contest Cartridge Pen Contest Thread
"
This thread is ONLY for the posting of photos of your entry in the cartridge pen contest. Once you have posted your entry, you can trash talk the other entries. NO NPGJ posts will be allowed in this thread. I will be in this forum daily, and will delete any posts other than photos of your entry and trash talking between contestants. Refer to the Red, White and Blue Thread for rules. Entries will be accepted from July 1 until July 31. Let's see your best work!! "

so i wasnt looking there ......
looking for rules in red whit and blue

Hey Mudpuppie,

The Red, White and Blue contest rules seem to have been ignored by many of our contestents. Those of us who have pointed out this fact have been publicly chastised and berated.

Apparently, the rules meant nothing when the those who obviously think they will be winning the prizes blantingly ignore them and flaunt that fact in our faces.

I never expected to win with my post, but at least I know my entry is within the rules established in the Red, White and Blue thread.

David M

so if you was making a toy plane to enter in a contest called red , white and blue , would you refer to it as
The Russians SST(The TU-144LL)

At least make a toy of a usa space shuttle , or being the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11's first moon landing , the us apollo rocket .
Its a very nice looking toy plane / pen though.

RickW

Many firsts

This is my first post since my introduction in June. My first 2 cartridge pens and my first photo's of my pens. I figured since I don't have to compete against flying monkeys and pigs I might as well give it a try. Sorry about the poor picture quality. They both are 30-06, one with camo and the other with my first lamination. Camo and antler.

Attachments

• IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 147
OK people, here are my personal thoughts and a prize offer. First I think that Billy's pen should be allowed in the contest, it was built for this contest and the 45acp cartridge choice was an honest mistake. This is "The cartridge pen contest" it should not matter weather the entry pen is red, white ,blue,pink, purple, orange, green,monkeys,pigs, no pigs, etc, etc, etc, there is a huge amount of talent in this contest and it should all be eligible for the prizes. As to the comment about just wanting to win the prizes, I assure you that it is not a matter of the "Stuff" that is up for grabs, it is all for fun. Just to level the playing field I am offering a "last place prize", a GEBC original billet stainless steel atlas pen to the "Real Pen" with the least amount of votes. :cat:

2_contest_pen.jpg

Last edited:

David M

nice looking prize cat .... and yes its in fun of the contest .... and not just the prize , they are alot of talent here for all to take / learn from ......

workinforwood

That is extremely generous Mr Cat. Thank you.

I'm sure Cav is busy at work. I believe he will agree what I am going to say about the rules. First of all, this is the first ever casing competition. You can't expect everything to be perfect the first time around. Second of all, the basic rule of pen content has not changed and is not changing. It says nothing about the pen having to be red/white and blue. The spirit of the competition is only inspired by the red/white and blue, meaning Independence day. And Independence day exists for many countries, although not all this month..we can all agree that for the majority of us being Canadian or American, that it is this month. We invite other countries to celebrate theirs with us, or ours with them. The contest was to use the front 3/4" long length of a 30/06 or 308. This is the neck section. You could use more and as many of those sections, add kits, any materials, any bullet parts, as long as you have one of the initial pieces in your pen. That rule stands as stated and is not changing. The only changes we made was to allow you to make more than one pen, simply because we were having some slow times with participation. We also changed it so that anyone whether participating or not, can post any comments they want. That is a rule that should have stood from the start...we live and learn. You never had to post more than one picture, but 3 is the max for each pen, and it should be obvious that 3 pens will give your pen a better score from the judges.

There were really two goals for having this contest. The first and main goal was to stimulate activity while having fun at the same time. The second goal was to create a library of casing pen idea's. For many years to come, people will be able to come back and see dozens and dozens of different takes on what to do with a cartridge, thus this contest will be educational and inspirational to future pen makers.

As the contest grew, so did the prizes. It was always hoped this might happen, but never guaranteed. That is why it was expressed that you should enter a pen even if you know your pen stands no chance at being the best of the best. Fact is, even if you don't win one of the alternate prizes that were so gratiously donated by so many people, you have the prize of being part of the future inspiration of others. Because of this, if your pen was/is DQ'd because it didn't meet that single rule, you should still leave that pen in place for future generations to see. It's a fact, you messed up and didn't read the rule, but now you know better for next time, just like we are learning about creating rules for contests as we go.

I really appreciate all the people that participated with their pens and all the prize donors. Keep in mind, all of us donors are the same as you, the reader of this post. We are not corporations. Some of us can't even be considered any type of business at all, some of the donors recieve social security checks..yet here they stand firm with prizes to give. How amazing is that?!?!!

THarvey

OK people, here are my personal thoughts and a prize offer. First I think that Billy's pen should be allowed in the contest, it was built for this contest and the 45acp cartridge choice was an honest mistake. This is "The cartridge pen contest" it should not matter weather the entry pen is red, white ,blue,pink, purple, orange, green,monkeys,pigs, no pigs, etc, etc, etc, there is a huge amount of talent in this contest and it should all be eligible for the prizes. As to the comment about just wanting to win the prizes, I assure you that it is not a matter of the "Stuff" that is up for grabs, it is all for fun. Just to level the playing field I am offering a "last place prize", a GEBC original billet stainless steel atlas pen to the "Real Pen" with the least amount of votes. :cat:

2_contest_pen.jpg

Cat: Great looking pen.

Now you have started a whole new level of campaigning to get the LEAST votes.

Okay, I will jump first.

PLEASE, NOBODY VOTE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!

alamocdc

2_contest_pen.jpg

Actually, the pen was NOT built for this contest. It is one I did some time back just to see if I could. And I liked the end result.

Don't change the contest rules on my account. I didn't read them well, or I would not have added the pen to the mix. As I said before, the rules is the rules.:wink:

But thanks for the thought, Cat!

workinforwood

Hopefully Billy will keep his pen posted and will generate another new pen that does meet the prize requirements. He still has one more day after today. He does not have to work very hard to do so, and even if he submits a typical cartridge pen, he can feel extra good about all the work he did do the first time around. So it won't be like he's just tossing in a pen for a chance to win. He tried hard..he just messed up, that is clearly recognized by all.
The second pen..I forget the one as I type, but it was a 30/30...we'll be fair and DQ that as an official entry as well. If he had lied and said it was a 30/06..I never would have guessed! But he two can toss in another pen if he has not already done so, and should still keep his original pen in the thread for all to see.
These are the only two pens that I am aware of that missed the criteria...not counting the two jokers with the yellow pencil in a casing...obviously those are jokes not entries..and that is ok by me..we need to smile at some silliness. Right Butch!

maxman400

Can some one point me to the rules, I was just going of the other post that said 30 cal. and I have been searching all over for the official rules, every thing I find brings me back to the posting page.

ldb2000

Hey ....who was joking !!! I think that I could win with that one ...just based on a well executed use of materials ... the pencil is easily replaced and the eraser works !!! and unlike Nancy's attempt , at least I put the pencil in the right end of the cartridge :tongue:
That has become my "New" shop pencil and is giving me excellent service :rolleyes::wink::biggrin:

My real entry should be posted tonight . I have been real busy and wasn't sure if it would be done in time , but all that is left to do is to polish it up and add the clip . :bananen_smilies051: So start worrying all you wannabes

Last edited:

workinforwood

No problem...the rules.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48154

See paragraph #4. Those are the important rules.

Sorry if that was you with the 30/30. Now if a 30/30 is the same as a 30/06, then all is good. I am not a bullet expert. Problem is, I don't want to start a bullet debate. I would prefer to just stick with the exact rules, to be fair to all.

Last edited:

ESwindell

Ok everyone here you go try this on... it has a lovely carry strap unlike those planes and missiles it is 30/06. 1903 Springfield turned down with a spoterized grip for that modern sleeker look, has a well used antique pitted finish for that discriminating person, trigger lock so little ones don't go shooting their mouthes off half cocked.
Mounting on the lathe was a chore as well as the off center turning but you all are worth it.

Oh wait, you mean that I was only supposed to use the brass,.... great what am I supposed to do with this now?

Attachments

• 331.JPG
    331.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 332.jpg
    332.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow!!!:eek: I wish some folks would learn to use the smilies cos I can't tell if some people are really upset and taking things far too seriously. :confused:

When I saw some of the replies I almost wanted to just withdraw my entries and be done with it. But that would be silly and childish.
I also feel a bit bad about being the only Brit. ( or non American ) and I just gate crashed a private party. But hey:biggrin: You buggers wouldn't have had anything to celebrate if we didn't let you kick our butts in the first place!!:biggrin:
I don't really have anything worthy as a prize ( peace offering? ) to offer either, so.............

...........IF by any chance any of my entries should happen to win one of the wonderful prizes offered, then I will pass them on to someone that doesn't quite make it, but I think should have.

I only enter our contests for fun and to take the 'P' out of my buddies. I only compete with myself. When it stops being fun then I lose interest.:wink:

LOL Jeff, I guess you will think twice next time before dreaming up a contest like this:biggrin:

ldb2000

Skippy , please don't ever avoid joining in a contest here , your work is always amazing and should be seen by all here .

Besides if you don't join in I won't have anybodies butt to try and kick ... not that I ever will , but it gives me hope :tongue::rolleyes::biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom