Cartridge Pen Contest Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

Wow, you guys like leaving things till the last minute!!!!! :eek::biggrin:
John and Butch, your abalone and Sierra entries are pretty damned cool!!!!
Lots of well crafted work in both!!
Neither will get beyond 'booby prize' stage even though they are stunning:mad:
The judges have really got their work cut out for them this time.
I think we have had even better entries in this contest than we had in the 'Freestyle' contest:biggrin:

I have a feeling that we will still see a rush of entries before the day is over:biggrin:

Not only do I agree with that statement Steve, but there are some "Longshot" contestants big time. People you wouldn't expect that seem to have installed some nitro on their lathes! I don't know who the judges are, and am very happy not to be one of them. We could both very easily not even make it into the voting stage :eek:..and that's no joke!

workinforwood

Wow, some really nice last minute entries from John and Butch. Appears to be lots of work to create these beauties.:cool: But, I must admit I'm a little concerned about the timing of their post.:frown: Being that only 5 minutes seperates the two post, one of Johns' to Butch's entry, has all indications of a colabrative build. I would asked the judges, review this and verify that these two gentleman were in fact operating under the guidelines and that we all were playing on an even field!:biggrin: Do not mistake this as whinning, I am only trying to protect those that feel they deserve a larger prize than myself!! :tongue:

No worries. John and Butch are both disqualified because the contest ended on July 31 at 3am! New rule Cav and I worked out.

I think there never was any whining either.just a few of us getting a bit confused is all, which is easy to do. That's life.

Sorry John..Butch...maybe next time you'll work a bit faster!!!:rotfl:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I was able to get my thumb out of the picture finally. This one was made with Sierra parts along with some pieces from an American Retro.

Attachments

• IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_3050.jpg
    IMG_3050.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 173

bitshird

For all the Irish Americans

OK all you smack talkin ornery pen turning elitists, I am here by taking the official American Government stance on this contest!:eek: since I have no chance of winning it with sheer skill nor genius of my designs,:frown: like GEBC or Skip Or almost any one else I will do as our government does when faced with an insurmountable problem :usflag: no I'm not going to bail out Butch or Greeneyedblackcat however since Skiprat and Johncrane are aliens, I guess I'll have to assist them with a large endowment of some sort Heh Heh Heh :hammer:(Jeff you can interpret that as you wish)
I'm going to throw money at it Stand in Shock and Awe and behold, The Irish American Emperor. (hey in the old days they wanted to make GW king. No not him the real old time dude you know the first George as in Washington), any way it's fully functional, with a soldered in tube, a Series 2000 American double twist transmission with Parker refill, through a Bullet Nib and then that funky 5000year old piece of Irish Bog Oak top with 22kt Emperor trim.
I had to make a rather large drive nipple to go in the top of the Emperor cap to engage the transmission, this wasn't what I had intended but neither are most Government projects, So I think this more than qualifies to win , at least the dumbest pen award and notice only two pictures, (and small ones at that) I don't wish to offend any one that may be a judge and has a slow connection:)

Attachments

• Irish-casing-1.jpg
    Irish-casing-1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Irish-casing-2.jpg
    Irish-casing-2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 186

bitshird

Lil Chucky

And as promised here is a picture of the wee tiny Woodchuck that I'm donating for a prize of some kind It's a Lil Chucky

casing-contest-prize.jpg

Sporting a 10 inch long natural Ash handle featuring a beautiful 6 inch tool bar and a svelte brush finished copper ferrule complete with a 15mm insert with a 4 inch radius, just right for pen work and small box or bowls that don't require a lot of tool over hang, the handle is finished with 4 coats of wipe on gloss polyurethane. the little beast is ready to devour any thing that you put in front of it.

Gentlemen Start your lathes!

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mmmmmm............I smell a rat!!! And it ain't me!!!!:biggrin:
Even YOU aren't looney enough to trash an Emperor!!! I wanna see a pic of inside the cap!!!:biggrin:

OK all you smack talkin ornery pen turning elitists, I am here by taking the official American Government stance on this contest!:eek: since I have no chance of winning it with sheer skill nor genius of my designs,:frown: like GEBC or Skip Or almost any one else I will do as our government does when faced with an insurmountable problem :usflag: no I'm not going to bail out Butch or Greeneyedblackcat however since Skiprat and Johncrane are aliens, I guess I'll have to assist them with a large endowment of some sort Heh Heh Heh :hammer:(Jeff you can interpret that as you wish)
I'm going to throw money at it Stand in Shock and Awe and behold, The Irish American Emperor. (hey in the old days they wanted to make GW king. No not him the real old time dude you know the first George as in Washington), any way it's fully functional, with a soldered in tube, a Series 2000 American double twist transmission with Parker refill, through a Bullet Nib and then that funky 5000year old piece of Irish Bog Oak top with 22kt Emperor trim.
I had to make a rather large drive nipple to go in the top of the Emperor cap to engage the transmission, this wasn't what I had intended but neither are most Government projects, So I think this more than qualifies to win , at least the dumbest pen award and notice only two pictures, (and small ones at that) I don't wish to offend any one that may be a judge and has a slow connection:)

John M

This is a 308 Cartridge pen made with Paua Abalone shell cast in PR . For the whiners and wieners in the audience here's the winner . It has the much whined about Red , White and Blue , along with some silver and purple and gold and ...
I'm quite pleased about this one , it gives the cartridge pen some "Elegance" . I'm not as happy with the finish , it's not up the the standards I had originally planed but still very well polished , man , even new these cartridges are well textured .
This was a tough pen to build , I wish I could have spent a little more time on the details . This is actually the second design I was working on , the first was finial operated using a cigar transmission and Parker refill but would have taken way too much time to build so I used a 7mm transmission and a Cross refill .

1_pauacartridge2.jpg

1_pauacartridge.jpg

As always , comments are welcome .

As all the entries are nice, this one is the winner in my book. That is a pen that is out of this world nice, and I would consider a purchase.

bitshird

As all the entries are nice, this one is the winner in my book. That is a pen that is out of this world nice, and I would consider a purchase.

John, you shouldn't say things like that, now Butch is gonna have a hard time getting his head through the roll up door in his shop:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL Jeff, bitter till the bitter end heh?:biggrin:
As much as I hate to admit it, Butch's last pen is also the hot favourite by all of us in my house too.:biggrin:

Look closely at the window on the lower barrel. It is about 1/32 off center. Amateur I tell you, AMATEUR!!! :wink:

bitshird

Mmmmmm............I smell a rat!!! And it ain't me!!!!:biggrin:
Even YOU aren't looney enough to trash an Emperor!!! I wanna see a pic of inside the cap!!!:biggrin:

Well there went your endowment, Mr Rat, apparently you ain't familiar with us folks from the swamp lands of west Tennessee, we ain't particularly noted for our brilliance, just our audacity. I would love to show a picture of the inside of the cap However I can't figure out a way to do it with out trashing it, ya know it's dark inside the hole, and even though my connector is delrin, I'm afraid it wont photograph well, and Sir you are completely wrong, I am that nuts :bulgy-eyes: I hope you can see the drive, I tried my best to get a picture just so I could say Nanny Nanny Foo Foo on you :mad-tongue: you can almost see it in the one I'm holding in whats left of my left hand.

Attachments

• skiprat2.jpg
    skiprat2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Skiprat1.jpg
    Skiprat1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

bitshird

I thought it was just loose and flopping around in there!

I guess there's nothing in the rules about the parts actually fitting properly.

Don that's the way it looked to me also, but not wanting to hurt Butch's feelings I kindly stood back and let others validate my keen observation
:angel:
And I was appalled when our English friend questioned my integrity:befuddled: I don't remember seeing any tolerance and or fit criteria in the rules, all I saw was it had to be a 308 or 30-06 casing, EVEN THOUGH the contest was billed as the RED WHITE AND BLUE cartridge contest[size=-4]which I and several others complied with[/size]

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
My dear friend Ken. I never doubted your superb skill for one second and as a matter of fact I was so taken by your wonderful design that I just rushed to my shop and made one of my own. :biggrin:
Although not to your standard, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea:biggrin:
I even used your photo naming technique:eek::biggrin:

Attachments

• Birdshit1.jpg
    Birdshit1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
its going to be a long night .........

I agree:wink:

Hey, I just realised something!!!!:eek: This contest is UNFAIR !!!!:mad:

Poor old Mr Crane's time ran out yesterday and mine runs out in about 5 minutes. You guys still have a few hours left to come up with a worthy entry and we can't retaliate !!!!:mad:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I agree:wink:

Hey, I just realised something!!!!:eek: This contest is UNFAIR !!!!:mad:

Poor old Mr Crane's time ran out yesterday and mine runs out in about 5 minutes. You guys still have a few hours left to come up with a worthy entry and we can't retaliate !!!!:mad:
Yeah, but you guys got a head start.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Whoa, hold on a minute Brucey Baby!!!!:eek:

on rethinking that.....

if we were told at 8pm your time, then we only got the message at midnight our time.:biggrin:

so you lot had extra time on both ends:rolleyes:

jeesh, you nearly had me there:biggrin:

bitshird

My dear friend Ken. I never doubted your superb skill for one second and as a matter of fact I was so taken by your wonderful design that I just rushed to my shop and made one of my own. :biggrin:
Although not to your standard, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea:biggrin:
I even used your photo naming technique:eek::biggrin:

Listen up Mr. Rat I hope you're happy!,:clown: Now you gone an done it, you got me about ready to soil my self laughing,:rotfl: I literally have tears streaming down my eyes,:crying: How on earth were you British folks able to win in the Falkland Island thing a few years back??:island: Looks like your pen is coming up a bit short!:alien: Lets see the image of your transmission Hummmmm and besides: My spendy solution for the most worthy pen in this contest is solely based on American Government methods of cost per unit theory of economics,and just like them :usflag: I realized at the very inception that this was a horrible solution and that it's total lack of worth and usefulness were way over original intent but went ahead and did it any way, [size=-4](the Devil made me do it) [/size]:devil: And trust and believe that just lie we are it is only a visitor and has only has the moment in time in our world, in our time of being, right??:ghost: Ahhhh man can I get a hug???:peace:

Last edited:

bitshird

Jeff, Or to whom ever it may concern, please don't let me win, PLEASE[size=-7]Like there ever was a chance in hell![/size] I'm really begging now send the prize to Skiprat Honest he's a great guy and I wanna see him get the smelly package from Jeff and his pens are really [size=+4]OK[/size] not great but their OK.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Help Needed

OK, I am going to start a new thread that is for PHOTO POSTING ONLY. Please repost your pens with their names only, not ads or trash talking in the new thread. Also state if your pen is in the "Newbie" category. After all photos are posted, tomorrow I will (hopefully) set up a poll for voting on the top entries.

The photo thread is located here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49630

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK, dumb question please Cav....

if we have multiple entries, does only our first one count as a 'newbie':confused:

I need my beauty sleep and will repost my pics in the morning.

G'night folks, it's been fun:biggrin:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Your are right, it is a dumb question, Skippy! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

NO ONE IS GOING TO CONSIDER ANYTHING YOU DO TO BE NEWBIE IN ANY WAY!! :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Cav

OK, dumb question please Cav....

if we have multiple entries, does only our first one count as a 'newbie':confused:

I need my beauty sleep and will repost my pics in the morning.

G'night folks, it's been fun:biggrin:

bitshird

HEY, Im a NOOB too, I was wondering the same thing as Skippy :cool::rolleyes::biggrin::eek:

Jim, I don't think just being a noob to the PMG counts:Now that the trash is done, those were some excellent pieces of work.I just wish I could have actually competed with you and Steven and Bruce and Butch and John Crane and a bunch of other fine Craftsmen and Artists.
Ken Ferrell

kruger

that is my first attempt in a cartridge pen.

made with a French Army 7.65 mm cartridge and a slimline transmission with 7mm tube.

Wood is Crosscut Snakewood.
not simple to fit the 7.65mm with a 7mm tube.

Attachments

• bullet slimline1.jpg
    bullet slimline1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 162
  • bullet slimline2.jpg
    bullet slimline2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 161

kruger

The French are always a day late and a dollar short!!! :biggrin:
"Look at the French, trying to sneak in after hours!" Quote

Excuse me for having posted photographs after date,

I did not know that contest was ended.
My English being restricted I had not read everything the regulations.
I simply posted these photographs having read the answer of SKIPRAT, which I badly interpreted .

I thought that it was simply a question of showing its know-how.
I was not aimed at winning, but participating in a kind of Holiday.
On top of that the used model is not in requested norms. It is not a US cartridge.

I would never have taken the liberty of making fun of a foreigner not playing my language and which would have made an error of interpretation.

No worries, I take this for a joke,
heavy joke,
but for a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom