Cartridge Pen Contest Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

THarvey

Hey Skip,

Just send me that dip pen and we will call it even. :biggrin::rolleyes::wink::cool::redface::):tongue::worship::glasses-cool::angel::giggle::alien::glasses-nerdy::cowboy::beauty::party::bashful::laugh::embarrassed::highfive::handshake::smile-big::music::monkey::rotfl:

BTW: Hope I got enought smilies in for you.

workinforwood

Wow!!!:eek: I wish some folks would learn to use the smilies cos I can't tell if some people are really upset and taking things far too seriously. :confused:

When I saw some of the replies I almost wanted to just withdraw my entries and be done with it. But that would be silly and childish.
I also feel a bit bad about being the only Brit. ( or non American ) and I just gate crashed a private party. But hey:biggrin: You buggers wouldn't have had anything to celebrate if we didn't let you kick our butts in the first place!!:biggrin:
I don't really have anything worthy as a prize ( peace offering? ) to offer either, so.............

...........IF by any chance any of my entries should happen to win one of the wonderful prizes offered, then I will pass them on to someone that doesn't quite make it, but I think should have.

I only enter our contests for fun and to take the 'P' out of my buddies. I only compete with myself. When it stops being fun then I lose interest.:wink:

LOL Jeff, I guess you will think twice next time before dreaming up a contest like this:biggrin:

Steve..I lose site of whether some people are being serious or not too. But I have not lost site of what the contest is all about and obviously you and most others have not as well. I already know that you won't win first place, because that is me:smile-big:. If you do win a prize..heck any prize <fat chance>, then it would be a real shame for you not to keep it. That would make me feel bad, and many others too. You do not need to have a prize to offer. I prefer you don't offer a prize. I, and many others, want you to simply take your best shot at winning. You compete against yourself, well so do we. If we do not beat you, it steps up our game. If you lose to us, it steps up your game. It's all inter-related, and at the same time not at all about who is the best, which is in many ways subjective to opinions anyhow. If some of these people are serious about what they are saying...well, lets get over it. There's one in every crowd. I'm not going to let it spoil my fun. I am going to win my own prizes and ribbons and when I do, I am not going to pass them down to the second prize winner! Instead I'll be doing a happy dance and feel great about it, because it'll be legit! :banana:

maxman400

Quick Change!!!

Does this Qualify it is a 30 30 Winchester, Slim Line with Gun Metal Black trim and silver tip. With a home brew Red PR. :monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

It was a 30/30, now it is a 308, it can be a 30.06 in a few seconds, that is what so great about this design. You can mix and match for a special person.
NOTE the .45 ACP that it is resting on!!!:smile-big:

Attachments

• 30 30 WIN 002.jpg
    30 30 WIN 002.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 308 005.jpg
    308 005.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 208

David M

ill help you out jeff , if you win your blanks in fisrt place ... ill chip in and help with the shipping ....... or if you dont take first i will send a little to iap for donation

bitshird

I'll sweeten the pot, I just drilled a handle for the baby Woodchuck, I think it should go to the biggest whiner :eek: Lets see who would be eligible for it Hummmmmm, lets see oh I know Waah Waah Waah :crying::crying: these rules suck, they are confusing, they require thought ,they are unfair to just, me some guys have more creativity than me ,they have more pictures, they have prettier pens they have things and animals on their pens, their pens don't look like pens :monkey: if you fit this criteria you might get
[size=+6] GEEZ
[/size]
This was supposed to be about fun, not moaning because some one has a better idea, and we are supposed to talk some trash but lets not whine about the rules and or changes that were made by the intelligentsia, that's what they are here for, Heck yes I slam the Cat, and why not, he's posted some of the most outrageous writing instruments I've ever seen, and done it in the spirit of the contest, same with the little English guy that had to post a dip pen, probably cause the Bruts used up all the bic refills. And smileys I doan need no stinkin smileys:tongue:
I
d like to stay around but we are about to get hammered with high wind, hail and possible Tornadoes
Y'all be good

Crayman

Red White and Blue Bullet

Sticking with the July Independence, I did powder coated pens, there were my first powder coating multiple colors. I also had to drive to Maine for bullets as nobody will ship to MA. So below are my 2nd and 3rd bullet pens.

Attachments

• 1 BWR.jpg
    1 BWR.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 178
  • 1 RWB pen.jpg
    1 RWB pen.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 2 RWB bullet pens.jpg
    2 RWB bullet pens.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 194

wudnhed

Sticking with the July Independence, I did powder coated pens, there were my first powder coating multiple colors. I also had to drive to Maine for bullets as nobody will ship to MA. So below are my 2nd and 3rd bullet pens.

I'm not understanding the shipping thing, can you explain?

Chuck Key

If I quit now does that make me LAST!!!! I really like the cat's prize.

No, the top five as determined by the judges will be selected and voted on by the membership. Last place appears to be the fifth place Everyone else is an "also ran" :biggrin::biggrin::musical-note::musical-note::musical-note:. At least that is what the rules err guidelines say.

At this point, the second place penturner could also be last in this contest. If someone enters six pens he could be win first place, last place and be an also ran.

Chuckie

Last edited:

ESwindell

Ok I got one finished. I am not overly happy with the results,but is the first casing pen that I have made. bash away.
30/06 with flame box elder.
God Bless,
Eric

Attachments

• 341.JPG
    341.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

ngeb528

Hey ....who was joking !!! I think that I could win with that one ...just based on a well executed use of materials ... the pencil is easily replaced and the eraser works !!! and unlike Nancy's attempt , at least I put the pencil in the right end of the cartridge :tongue:

Hey!! Don't make fun of my use of artistic license.:mad: It took a long time to get that combo together.

And by the way, Jeff...who says my entry was a joke, huh?? You've really hurt my feelings:frown:.

I didn't say anything mean about your entry.

That's it!!!! I'm telling my hubby and he's going to come and beat you up:beat-up:

(sniff, sniff) I'm going to cry myself to sleep now. (sniff) I hhhhope yyyourrr hhhhapppyyy:crying::crying:

THarvey

I find it interesting that if you are in the elite crowd, you're just "trash talking" and even if you are commenting about individuals, that is okay.

If you are not, you are "whining" and chastised.

I thought this contest was about fun too. Talking about the rules and the pens were all in fun (at least I thought so). At no point did I or any of the other so called "whiners" EVER make personal comments about any individual pen maker. We kept ALL of our comments to the pens.

You elitists were the ones that made the personal attacks. If you look back through this thread, you will find this is the first "whiner" post to address individuals.

...Just my humble and accurate opinion (which I highly respect).

As for the prize for the "BIGGEST WHINER"... If I am considered the biggest whiner, raffle the prize and give the proceeds to IAP.

Last edited:

johncrane

Cartridge pen

The Brits have been given the ok, l will test the water too, and my first entry is 30.06 cases, the kit l used is the Americana and it has a hidden bullet clip and the blank is Alt ivory.
feel free trash away.:biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_6993 (Medium).JPG
    100_6993 (Medium).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 194

johncrane

Bullet pen Contest

Ok a Clicker bullet pen!this one is a bit different the bullet cap end is at the nib,the neck of the 308 bullet was removed too fit this kit which has a 3/8 tube,this is at the clicker end, l joined up three off cuts in the flag colors.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_7046 (Medium).JPG
    100_7046 (Medium).JPG
    27 KB · Views: 191
  • 100_7188 (Medium).JPG
    100_7188 (Medium).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 210

ldb2000

My real entry

This is a 308 Cartridge pen made with Paua Abalone shell cast in PR . For the whiners and wieners in the audience here's the winner . It has the much whined about Red , White and Blue , along with some silver and purple and gold and ...
I'm quite pleased about this one , it gives the cartridge pen some "Elegance" . I'm not as happy with the finish , it's not up the the standards I had originally planed but still very well polished , man , even new these cartridges are well textured .
This was a tough pen to build , I wish I could have spent a little more time on the details . This is actually the second design I was working on , the first was finial operated using a cigar transmission and Parker refill but would have taken way too much time to build so I used a 7mm transmission and a Cross refill .

1_pauacartridge2.jpg

1_pauacartridge.jpg

As always , comments are welcome .

Last edited:

workinforwood

I find it interesting that if you are in the elite crowd, you're just "trash talking" and even if you are commenting about individuals, that is okay.

If you are not, you are "whining" and chastised.

I thought this contest was about fun too. Talking about the rules and the pens were all in fun (at least I thought so). At no point did I or any of the other so called "whiners" EVER make personal comments about any individual pen maker. We kept ALL of our comments to the pens.

You elitists were the ones that made the personal attacks. If you look back through this thread, you will find this is the first "whiner" post to address individuals.

...Just my humble and accurate opinion (which I highly respect).

As for the prize for the "BIGGEST WHINER"... If I am considered the biggest whiner, raffle the prize and give the proceeds to IAP.

There won't be a biggest whiner prize Tim. Nancy and Butch are kidding. Most and hopefully all the "whiner" posts where not serious. We are all human here. It does get a bit confusing figuring out if someone is serious or ribbing. We all have to understand that fact.

There won't be the same person taking all 5 top places either. there's way too much serious competition here for that to happen.

Lets get back to making and discussing pens, pencils and English Dip's. :)

johncrane

308 Bullet

This is my last entry its a Sierra Titanium Gold kit with a 308 case, which l used all the case, the blank is Python.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_7237 (Medium).JPG
    100_7237 (Medium).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_7229 (Medium).jpg
    100_7229 (Medium).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_7235 (Medium).JPG
    100_7235 (Medium).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 195

workinforwood

Wow..yea, that is sweet Butch! Those psychedelic abalone shells really go well with brass. It must have been challenging to get them inside that window casing too. I would have preferred the window section to be the top section though. I can't see what you are talking about with being not happy with the finish..it looks perfect to me, but I'll take your word on it and recommend the judges deduct 10 points! :tongue:

Doh..another entry as I type. Wow John, that is the first time I've seen a casing done like that too. Awesome!

ldb2000

Thank you Jeff . This is all about FUN . I have the up most respect for EVERYONE here and any negative comments are ALL meant in fun and should be taken as such .

ldb2000

Thanks again Jeff , I can ALWAYS count on you to STAB me in the back :biggrin: . Not to worry , even if they take the 10 points I'll still beat the tar out of your entry :tongue:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow, you guys like leaving things till the last minute!!!!! :eek::biggrin:
John and Butch, your abalone and Sierra entries are pretty damned cool!!!!
Lots of well crafted work in both!!
Neither will get beyond 'booby prize' stage even though they are stunning:mad:
The judges have really got their work cut out for them this time.
I think we have had even better entries in this contest than we had in the 'Freestyle' contest:biggrin:

I have a feeling that we will still see a rush of entries before the day is over:biggrin:

bitshird

WOW this last bunch of pens are sweet, I like the red white and blue powder coated pens. Butch, Shazaam and Johncrane, That click pen is a killer, and the Sierra isn't really that shabby either, I think Butch should be DQ :crying:the pen is made from a Crustacean that isn't indigenous to or eaten in the U.S.A.
Now if the GEBC would kindly aim that pig pen of his my way I could have me some pork chops and eggs for breakfast.

Rollerbob

Wow, some really nice last minute entries from John and Butch. Appears to be lots of work to create these beauties.:cool: But, I must admit I'm a little concerned about the timing of their post.:frown: Being that only 5 minutes seperates the two post, one of Johns' to Butch's entry, has all indications of a colabrative build. I would asked the judges, review this and verify that these two gentleman were in fact operating under the guidelines and that we all were playing on an even field!:biggrin: Do not mistake this as whinning, I am only trying to protect those that feel they deserve a larger prize than myself!! :tongue:

Crayman

I'm not understanding the shipping thing, can you explain?

Becca, Massachusett has very tough gun laws, last year I order empty 30-08 casing and they shipped them to me. They sat on a shelf in the to-do pile, I made one using the copper pen tip nib, did not like the look. So when this contest came along I wanted a real bullet, I tried to order some from 3 companies they would not ship to MA. So I drove an hour or so to The Kittery Trading Post, the closest place with 30 caliber bullets, and then picked up a bunch off spent casings

ngeb528

(major whiny voice)Awwwww....You mean I'm not going to win the whiny prize? But I really, really wanted it. I don't think that's fair. I've tried and tried to whine enough. I want a second opinion on that ruling. Can't I win it, please, please, pleeeeaaaasssseee?????

ngeb528

In all seriousness...The pens submitted for this contest are all amazing. Some really innovative & creative minds at work. I applaud you all.:highfive:

wudnhed

Becca, Massachusett has very tough gun laws, last year I order empty 30-08 casing and they shipped them to me. They sat on a shelf in the to-do pile, I made one using the copper pen tip nib, did not like the look. So when this contest came along I wanted a real bullet, I tried to order some from 3 companies they would not ship to MA. So I drove an hour or so to The Kittery Trading Post, the closest place with 30 caliber bullets, and then picked up a bunch off spent casings

OK, I get it. I thought maybe you ordered some completed cartridges set up with transmission and bullet nibs and they were held up at PO or something like that. I didn't realize you were trying to construct your own. Thanks for explaining.

wudnhed

In all seriousness...The pens submitted for this contest are all amazing. Some really innovative & creative minds at work. I applaud you all.:highfive:

I totally agree Nancy, every single pen in this contest has something special, even yours and Butch's.

On a side note: I guess I'm just an airhead because I didn't think there was any whinning or snipping going on :confused:. I thought it was all in fun :befuddled:, but most of the time I walk around in my own little world but I like it there because they know me :bulgy-eyes::doctor::hypnotized::rotfl:

Rollerbob

Gosh, you can feel the tension in the air!!!! Cannot wait to for the "Whiney Butt" award presentation. Oh I so hope it will be televised!:bananen_smilies104:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom