Cartridge Pen Contest Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the winner is 'clear':biggrin: My final entry, back to work tomorrow:frown:

Something a little different, a dipper casing pen and ink well.
100% USA material too!!!! No Oriental kit bits here!!!:biggrin:
Clear resin from Wisconsin ( PR Princess )
30.06 Casing via Wisconsin ( PR Princess and Ed )
Dip nib from Washington ( DC Bluesman.)
Ink well brass band from K & N Metals Chicago:biggrin:

Edited; Changed the base and put some grooves in the lip of the well to hold the pen:biggrin:

Mrs cat says that pen is the "Cats Meow" :)

seamus7227

First 30-06 Rifle shell pen

Many of you have similar designs, I found it funny when i made this that other penturners think the same. I never really knew how i should design this and did so before i really delved into this site. But it is my first. The antler was taken from a young buck that was roadkill and taken with permission from the local texas game warden. If you will notice where the antler meets the shell, there is a red line. For those of you who may not know, that is the shed line where the antlers fall off. that is usually only noticeable between january and march depending on when they shed. I intentionally cut the antlers off below that line so that it would show up in the pen. The finial is also antler. The color tone is probably due to the fact that this buck was only a 4 point.

Attachments

• woodworks 020.jpg
    woodworks 020.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 30-06 rifle shell antler Euro twist gold.JPG
    30-06 rifle shell antler Euro twist gold.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 193

seamus7227

2nd 30-06 Rifle shell Pen

This is my latest attempt during the month of july, to create a better looking pen using the shell and deer antler. eventually i will go 100% kitless, but for now, here is my 2nd attempt and I am definitely a nubie! The finish is CA on the antler, and the second photo on the antler i was able to obtain the outside edge of the antler even after turning, all while keeping it round, very tricky, for me anyway. As a personal opinion, I prefer using a European pen kit finial so that the upper barrel isnt going from skinny to fat, rather a smooth transition from the finial to the shell. But again, that's just me.

Attachments

• 30-06 True shell with Deer Antler.JPG
    30-06 True shell with Deer Antler.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 190
  • 30-06 True shell with Deer Antler2.JPG
    30-06 True shell with Deer Antler2.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

workinforwood

Thanks Seamus. We need more beginners to post pens. You know, beginners often have a different take than the rest of us on how things are because they have not been ...oh, can't think of the right word, sorta like peer pressure or something..you see so many pens the same shape and style that you start to conform to those same rules. Beginners help wake us up!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Second Prize Package

I think this prize should go well with this contest. This is the second place prize (or first loser) and it consists of 10 Dayacom Titanium Gold Slimline kits along with 10 .308 cartridges. The winner (or loser) has their choice of predrilled or non drilled cartridges. Good luck with your entry.

Attachments

• IMG_3078.jpg
    IMG_3078.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 189

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Noobie attempt at cartridge pen and picture. Please forgive my lack of ability to take a picture, for some reason my thumb is always in the way. The pen is much nicer than the picture shows, so please judge it on the way I see it. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3082.jpg
    IMG_3082.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 222

bitshird

Noobie attempt at cartridge pen and picture. Please forgive my lack of ability to take a picture, for some reason my thumb is always in the way. The pen is much nicer than the picture shows, so please judge it on the way I see it. Thanks

Neil, How much have you imbibed? or how many cubic yards of CA fumes have you inhaled this afternoon? :eek: that would give a yardstick to judge the way you see the pen!!!:rolleyes:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Neil, How much have you imbibed? or how many cubic yards of CA fumes have you inhaled this afternoon? :eek: that would give a yardstick to judge the way you see the pen!!!:rolleyes:
I haven't had a drink in almost 6 years, it always made my hands hurt. No CA fumes either, but I have been up for more hours than anyone should stay awake but I'm finally back home.

Rollerbob

Neil, welcome home. For a split second I thought you had impaled yourself with a pen. Metal lathe accident or just feeling frisky!!

bitshird

I haven't had a drink in almost 6 years, it always made my hands hurt. No CA fumes either, but I have been up for more hours than anyone should stay awake but I'm finally back home.

I used to get teeth marks on my knuckles and knuckle marks on my nose and eyebrows, Isn't that strange. I still enjoy an occasional sip of shine every now and again, but I learned my lessons quite a while ago. A wise old oriental gentleman explained to me it is better to make love than trouble, one feels so much better and is a lot more fun!!

workinforwood

I used to get teeth marks on my knuckles and knuckle marks on my nose and eyebrows, Isn't that strange. I still enjoy an occasional sip of shine every now and again, but I learned my lessons quite a while ago. A wise old oriental gentleman explained to me it is better to make love than trouble, one feels so much better and is a lot more fun!!

There's a million ways I can respond to your post Ken. Fortunately, it's a family site! :redface:

David M

This pen in keeping with the theme of the contest , being patriotioc ( 4 th of July / Independence Day ) and a Cartridge Pen ( keeping size and shape of a bullet ) . This one is made of 30.06 brass and aluminum , using a Parker style refill . Made as a trubite , this one I am going to name " Crying Eagle Pen " .
DSC00548-1.jpg
DSC00517-1.jpg
DSC00560-1.jpg
http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/7330/1_DSC00548.jpg

This is my humble entry , I hope you like it .Thanks for looking .
I hope you will over look my photo skills and look at the pen . In remembrance of 911 .
David

Last edited:

THarvey

This pen in keeping with the theme of the contest , being patriotioc ( 4 th of July / Independence Day ) and a Cartridge Pen ( keeping size and shape of a bullet ) . This one is made of 30.06 brass and aluminum , using a Parker style refill . Made as a trubite , this one I am going to name " Crying Eagle Pen " .
DSC00548.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

This is my humble entry , I hope you like it .Thanks for looking .
I hope you will over look my photo skills and look at the pen . In remembrance of 911 .
David

I am sure it looks great. I cannot see the pics.:glasses-nerdy:

PR_Princess

Third Place Prize Package

There are so many good entries in Jeff's contest, Neil and I had to help out! So in addition to the great prize that Neil has now put up for second place,:tongue: Exotics is offering a $40.00 GC to the third place winner. :cool:

There is still a few days left in this contest, so if you have been sitting on the fence.....

GET THOSE ENTRIES IN!!!!!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There are so many good entries in Jeff's contest, Neil and I had to help out! So in addition to the great prize that Neil has now put up for second place,:tongue: Exotics is offering a $40.00 GC to the third place winner. :cool:

There is still a few days left in this contest, so if you have been sitting on the fence.....

GET THOSE ENTRIES IN!!!!!
Bless you Princess!!! Now I have to hope I don't get first place:)

tim self

There has been soooo much work here and some truly beautiful pens. However, there are so many producing monkey adn pig pens trying to win an ugly pen prize. How trite. There ain't an ugly pen prize, can't you folks get it in your thick skulls?

Rollerbob

There has been soooo much work here and some truly beautiful pens. However, there are so many producing monkey adn pig pens trying to win an ugly pen prize. How trite. There ain't an ugly pen prize, can't you folks get it in your thick skulls?
WOW!:confused::rain:

wudnhed

I would be happy to donate one:biggrin:

bitshird

Tim, although it sort of looks like a pen, Watch out, it very well might be a tiny little rocket outfitted with a pig at the stick.

hewunch

ok now that I have entered, I would like to throw in another (albeit small) prize. This would be a totally random drawing of participants who have not won another prize.
4 sets of delrin bushings or sleeves (or combination there of).

workinforwood

ok now that I have entered, I would like to throw in another (albeit small) prize. This would be a totally random drawing of participants who have not won another prize.
4 sets of delrin bushings or sleeves (or combination there of).

WHOOHOOO!!! Thank you HANS ! :biggrin: Now Steve has something to look forward to as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom