Inserting a small part into a finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Let me be more precise here. I'm assembling a cartridge bullet click pen from WC, #151303. The instructions say to insert a small tube into the clip/retainer/cap assembly. There is to be 9/16 inch left in the assembly. I have the tube almost in with about i/32 left to go. My pen press has a part in the lever end of only about 3/4 inch diameter and the stationary/adjustable end is about 1-1/4 inch diameter. Putting the parts into the press has the whole assembly off center. I called WC tech and was given one way- mark the tube and put it into a bench vise. Tried this with pieces of inner tube to pad it but all it did was press into the rubber. Next I tried an L-shaped wood part that I can't remember what it was for. Same thing- just made imprints in the wood and still short a smidgen. Any help from pen makers here is appreciated.
Thought of using a screw or bolt, washers, and a wingnut.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF I follow you correctly, you could sand off a bit of the protruding part until you reach the desired length.

magpens

I looked up the instructions online and they are not at all clear in the last two stages.

I think you should contact Woodcraft technical support.

The length of tube F and the amount you have to press it into the clip retainer H must have something to do with the positioning of the click mechanism M.

I would think that this is quite critical.

It is confusing that they refer to "twist holder" when this is a click pen.

When they say to "Thread the Upper Barrel Assembly onto the Twist Holder (C)" that must mean that part E has internal threads which thread onto the end of part C which appears to have some external threading on its right end.

Good luck, and let us know how you work this all out, please.

Woodchipper

Ed has a good idea- trim to fit. I referred to WC tech support earlier and got one tip. Didn't work. Tried the bolt/washer/wing nut idea- didn't work, either.

Woodchipper

Tried some other methods that didn't work plus the tube went in crooked and couldn't straighten it. Had to destroy it to get it out. I have an idea that might work- need to confer with my engineer son. Should be simple to make as he has lots of friends in the machine shop at work. Will let you know. Now, where to find the tube! Will call WC in Chattanooga to see if they have some left-over parts. BTW, tried a Slimline tube but it's too small.

Top Bottom