Cast Away Box Part II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

My blanks are Western Diamondback snake skin blanks, and there are a few air bubbles near the seams on them, but all in all i think i did quite well:biggrin: can hardly see the seams if it werent for the bubbles. Whoever gets the sierra blank will have to be careful when they get close to size. The seam is pretty thick, not sure how to make it smaller, so you might just hit the skin a little bit, but just at the seam. Just take it easy and cover with CA. Wish i had time to do more, but...................

Thanks Guys

Justin

Hey Justin, I turned the Jr. Gent set of snakeskins I pulled from the box. You were right, the seam was just a hair thick and did hit one scale at the end of the barrels where it tapers down to meet the kit. I soaked it good with thin CA and sanded smooth. Overall they look terrific. Only someone who was looking for imperfections would notice. I put it on a Black TI kit and it really goes well with the dark grey scales. I wish I had pics to post, but my wife has our good camera with her in Honduras. I'll try to get some decent shots at work tomorrow with the company camera and post them up tomorrow night.

BTW, a question for all, especially Jonathon...Everyone has said they want to see pics of pens made from the blanks in this trade. Do we post the pics in this tread or should we post them in SOYP and post a link here?

Last edited:

Crickett

Thought I would give you boys an update on the swap box ... it hasn't arrived yet! :eek: :wink:
Figured a teaser photo would be fun for whoever gets the box after me. :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03492.JPG
    DSC03492.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 142

Timebandit

Thought I would give you boys an update on the swap box ... it hasn't arrived yet! :eek: :wink:
Figured a teaser photo would be fun for whoever gets the box after me. :biggrin:

That would be ME!!!! You should have my address already, if not PM me:biggrin:

Timebandit

My blanks are Western Diamondback snake skin blanks, and there are a few air bubbles near the seams on them, but all in all i think i did quite well:biggrin: can hardly see the seams if it werent for the bubbles. Whoever gets the sierra blank will have to be careful when they get close to size. The seam is pretty thick, not sure how to make it smaller, so you might just hit the skin a little bit, but just at the seam. Just take it easy and cover with CA. Wish i had time to do more, but...................

Thanks Guys

Justin

Hey Justin, I turned the Jr. Gent set of snakeskins I pulled from the box. You were right, the seam was just a hair thick and did hit one scale at the end of the barrels where it tapers down to meet the kit. I soaked it good with thin CA and sanded smooth. Overall they look terrific. Only someone who was looking for imperfections would notice. I put it on a Black TI kit and it really goes well with the dark grey scales. I wish I had pics to post, but my wife has our good camera with her in Honduras. I'll try to get some decent shots at work tomorrow with the company camera and post them up tomorrow night.

BTW, a question for all, especially Jonathon...Everyone has said they want to see pics of pens made from the blanks in this trade. Do we post the pics in this tread or should we post them in SOYP and post a link here?

Excellent. Thanks Warren. I would love it if you started a thread in the SOYP, then you could just post the link here so everyone here would know where to look for it. Thanks again and i look forward to seeing it.

Justin

Crickett

Brooks803 said:
Nope Warren, didn't die. Just takes time for the shipping to reach Canada.

The box didn't arrive yesterday and won't be able to check the mailbox until tonight ... all this waiting is killin' me!!;o)

Sent from my iPhone because it's smarter than Ron's

Phunky_2003

Again I apologize too for not posting pics of what was sent. It was entirely my evil plan to keep Marla in suspense.:biggrin::eek::biggrin:

Just kidding, I've been super busy finishing up my parents move from Virginia to Oklahoma. All this going on while my dad is in Chile on a business trip. I have my iPod and able to get online a few times a day, however when I get back home sometimes 2-3 in the morning I don't have the energy to sit at the computer. Hopefully I will have most of this wrapped up in the next week.

glycerine

Phunky_2003 said:
Again I apologize too for not posting pics of what was sent. It was entirely my evil plan to keep Marla in suspense.:biggrin::eek::biggrin:

Just kidding, I've been super busy finishing up my parents move from Virginia to Oklahoma. All this going on while my dad is in Chile on a business trip. I have my iPod and able to get online a few times a day, however when I get back home sometimes 2-3 in the morning I don't have the energy to sit at the computer. Hopefully I will have most of this wrapped up in the next week.

Not to take the thread off course, but where did your parents live in Virginia?

Phunky_2003

Phunky_2003 said:

Not to take the thread off course, but where did your parents live in Virginia?

Hampton. I did get to visit Virginia Beach and a few other places while there. Really nice. Although I did not like driving thru those tunnels under the ocean to get to most places...

There is rust inside those tunnels on the tiles... And what looks like damp spots...needless to say they didn't appear too safe. Nope didn't like that at all.

glycerine

Phunky_2003 said:
Hampton. I did get to visit Virginia Beach and a few other places while there. Really nice. Although I did not like driving thru those tunnels under the ocean to get to most places...

There is rust inside those tunnels on the tiles... And what looks like damp spots...needless to say they didn't appear too safe. Nope didn't like that at all.

Cool, my brother-in-law and his family are in Virginia Beach, so I make it down there from time to time. I'm just west of D.C.
That rust is probably from last weekend when Irene came through!! :biggrin:
I've always been a little leery of those tunnels as well. There's one like that in Mobile (AL) as well that goes under the bay.

Crickett

I checked the mailbox yesterday and it was empty, not even a piece of junk mail. I'll check again tonight when I head home from work.

Crickett

I checked the mailbox and there was a postal slip in it, I can pick up a package tomorrow!! There is a chance it might be supplies I've ordered and not the swap box because I have to pay almost $23 for it, I know $5 will be duty and the rest taxes.

PTownSubbie

Well.....it has been over 3 weeks and still no box?

Was there any tracking associated with it? I didn't see any posted in the thread......

At what point is it going to be considered dead?

Brooks803

Sad to say yes, still no box. Marla and I have been emailing back and forth about this for some time now as well as how to handle the situation if it is considered "Dead". With the 1st cast away box this same thing happend with shipping to Canada. It didn't show for weeks and I later found out that it was returned to the US bc of a customs issue about a month later. Other issues complicated that situation making it lost for about a year, but that's a whole other story and not pertinent really. I was being patient and hoping the same thing might have happened here. I've sent Phunky a PM asking if it might have gotten returned. After I hear back I'll make a decision on what to do. Marla has volunteered to restart a new box to be sent out if it comes to it. What I'll probably do if it comes to it is that Marla will send a box to the next person and I'll send them one myself. That way Marla isn't giving up a full box of blanks. We'll know in a day or so what will be the next move.

Last edited:

Crickett

Don't call it dead yet!! :biggrin: Look what arrived today! Now the impossible task of picking ...
:) This is the best shopping trip ever and I don't even have to leave the house!!!

attachment.php

I will have the box ready to ship Thursday so go ahead and pick those next 3 names. Do I post a picture before I package it up?

Attachments

• DSC03560.JPG
    DSC03560.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 241

Brooks803

WOOHOO! I guess we just needed to give it some motivation to show up! Big sigh of relief. I you could post a pic of the leaving box that'd be great. If you want to keep what you put in a surprise feel free to cover them up :wink:

Here are the next three possible participants!

Truckfixr

Scrollsawwoodart

Tom W

Remember, the FIRST person to respond IN THIS THREAD saying they want the box next will be the one to get it. Thanks and good luck!

Phunky_2003

Well for one I am happy it arrived.

I heard what yall were thinking lol.

Jonathon I did go to the post office today, they told me it was being held in customs and should be delivered in next day or two.... lol.

PTownSubbie

I am happy it arrived! Too many times in the past these boxes have died somewhere....Just really happy it still made it.

I see I still have a few blanks in there.....:cool:

glycerine

What are the two on the far right (the one in the bag and the one below it)?

the lower one is a trout fly blank...surface reflected the flash

What are the two on the far right (the one in the bag and the one below it)?

the lower one is a trout fly blank...surface reflected the flash

I was keeping that a surprise!! :wink: I did take 4 blanks from the box, one from each person who had blanks left in.

How long do we wait before a new set of names get pulled? 24 hours?

Thanks... sorry to ruin the surprise!
Yeah, I can't believe no one has spoken up yet!!

Crickett

Thanks... sorry to ruin the surprise!
Yeah, I can't believe no one has spoken up yet!!

Don't worry, I was just giving you a hard time, I didn't cast the one in the baggie so if you really want to know then I'll tell you.

I saw one of the guys on another forum, should I tell him his name was pulled?
Wanna see what went into the box? :wink:

Brooks803

Lol...I wanna see what went in the box!:biggrin:

Yeah they have 24hrs so at 10:40pm tonight I'll post new names if noone says anything until then.

They probably have been on here just didn't check the thread. It was kinda silent for a few weeks:rolleyes:

Crickett

Ok, here's the picture ... I might need to take out another blank to get everything back in the box as I'm assuming everyone wants it to stay in the small flat-rate box?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC03584.JPG
    DSC03584.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 187
Top Bottom