Cast Away Box Part II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Brooks803 said:
Richmond. I went to the meeting up there. Had alot of fun and got to meet alot of people I see on here all the time.

Cool, I didn't know about that meeting. I'm about an hour and a half north of Richmond, outside of D.C. I'll have to try to attend sometime...

truckfixr

Ok, I cast a few mammoth ivory blanks and added them to the mix. Here's the revised outgoing box

Outgoing 2_604x453.jpgcontents

I'll post tracking info after I drop it off at the post office tomorrow.

truckfixr

The blanks I made for the first swap were pre-ban elephant ivory. These are mammoth. I thought the elephant ivory smells bad when you cut it. This stuff makes regular ivory smell like daisys. Whoever ends up with them, I'd like to offer a little advice. I've found that PR doesn't get a really strong bond to ivory, so very sharp tools and very light cuts are important. I destroyed my first blank by drilling it too fast. If you notice any seperation of ivory from the resin, just glue it up with CA and let it cure. It's a good idea to put a good CA finish on it to seal the ivory .

Last edited:

Brooks803

Thanks Gary,
Only 3 left! Lets see who's gonna be next. The FIRST person to respong IN THIS THREAD saying they want it next will be the one to get it.

Louie

Scrollsawwoodart

Kevrob

kevrob

Well, I am hoping it gets here tomorrow as scheduled. If not, I am afraid it won't arrive on Monday before we are planning on leaving town for turkey day. If it does, I will get it out Monday morning! If it doesn't, i am afraid to say it will go out first thing on the Saturday after turkey day. :(

Brooks803

Lets go ahead and put a calling out to the last 2 then!

Louie

Scrollsawwoodart

Yall are the last 2! First one to respond gets the box! Kevin, I'll PM you both addresses that way if I'm away and they post you'll have it and be ready to ship out. Thanks for the heads up!

kevrob

Well, here is the box as it arrived - and the box before it left. Now, I just need to know to whom it shall go!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 137
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 139

Brooks803

Louie and Scrollsawwoodart, I need someone to accept the box next! I know yall want to take part in this but I don't want it to stall out. It's been 3 days already. I'm going to give it another 2 days. So if noone claims it on here by 11:59pm eastern time on 11-23-11 I'm going to have Kevin send it to me and that'll be the end of this cast away box. Either myself or someone will start another after the IAP birthday bash. I hope to hear from someone soon! I don't want to leave anyone out but I need yall's help.

PTownSubbie

Louie and Scrollsawwoodart, I need someone to accept the box next! I know yall want to take part in this but I don't want it to stall out. It's been 3 days already. I'm going to give it another 2 days. So if noone claims it on here by 11:59pm eastern time on 11-23-11 I'm going to have Kevin send it to me and that'll be the end of this cast away box. Either myself or someone will start another after the IAP birthday bash. I hope to hear from someone soon! I don't want to leave anyone out but I need yall's help.

I'll take it....I'll take it......:biggrin:

Brooks803

Thanks Kevin! One more to go! Btw...David, that's a VERY tempting offer but I'm just ready to have it all said and done. This one ran really smooth compared to last year but I'll still be extremely happy to have it all over.

Now with that being said....who says we can't work out a lil trade :wink::biggrin:

PTownSubbie

Thanks Kevin! One more to go! Btw...David, that's a VERY tempting offer but I'm just ready to have it all said and done. This one ran really smooth compared to last year but I'll still be extremely happy to have it all over.

Now with that being said....who says we can't work out a lil trade :wink::biggrin:

Now you have done it!! :eek:

Got the box today

Got the box today in the mail. Here is the before and after pics will post the tracking number monday as soon as I get back from the post office. Thanks again! The box was great when I got it. We have plenty of great casters here!

Attachments

• 2011-11-25_14-33-24_322.jpg
    2011-11-25_14-33-24_322.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 2011-11-26_13-18-41_381.jpg
    2011-11-26_13-18-41_381.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 134
The box has left Urbana heading towards

NJ

Tracking number: 0309 2880 0000 4242 9517

Again I just want to thank Brooks for putting this on, I will be a repeat offender when it comes time again. The blanks in the box are outstanding.

Now to wait for the castaway 3 box! Yippee!!! I sure do miss coaching football but time in the shop helps pass the time!

JW

louie

The box arrived today, :biggrin: thanks Jesse.

Jonathan, you will have it back before the holiday mail rush.

I will post a teaser pic soon. :wink:

Lou

sumterdad

I am not part of this box but I sure do like following it and I can't.wait for.the next one so I can sign up for it

grz5

Looking forward to joining the next one also! Finally ordered some PR and micas from coastal scents this week. Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have something to show.

louie

Jonathan,

My casts specifically made for this trade were 50/50 :frown:

I made a brick of shredded money blanks, which should yield 3 blanks. It appears to have come out fine.

I also tried to make 2 bottle cap blanks (for Sierra Vista), one with bottle caps from the Coke with real sugar (imported from Mexico). The 2nd was 3 Bud Light (BL) caps, one green (lime), one blue (regular) and one orange (wheat). I have made bottle cap blanks before, but this time I chose to use the Barry Gross method of 3 individual pours. It looks like I may have rushed (didn't' add extra cure time due to the cold) the 2nd pour, because when I put in the tubes, the bottom pour was not solid, and I could feel the resin move beneath the tunes. At this point I assumed the new resin for pour 2 would just fill in where I pressed in with the tube, as you can see in the pictures, this was not the case. :mad: And they looked so nice from the top too.

You can have them if you want them, let me know, otherwise, into the garbage.
I will include 3 of the Coca-Cola de Mexico caps so you make one yourself if you choose.

I will have my wife ship out the box Tuesday as I promised I'd have it back to you before the holidays. Once I get a chance to cast the caps again, I will send you a couple.

Sorry for the delay. I've been wanting to make these since the fall, but my two sons baseball and football took most of my time.

Lou

Attachments

• IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 95

Brooks803

Thanks for the update Lou! The cap blanks look cool! I'll give them a try for sure. When it gets here I'll be sure to post many pics of ALL the great blanks that I'll get to play with :biggrin:

Top Bottom