Volunteer sign in thread.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I think this has some merit to it. Even with the "simple Ball Point Pen" contest, the ones who submitted segmented pens received the most votes which begs the question...did they win for their simple BP pen or their segmenting?

Which begs the question....Why did they enter the BP contest in the first place. Did they not realize there was a slimline contest?

D.Oliver

Where is Florida Ed? Poking fun at him is half the reason I do this. The other half is poking fun at Utah Bob.:biggrin:

alankulwicki7

I'm going to guess "alankulwicki7" everyday. I think this is the year that answer will finally work. __________________
Derek Oliver

Penturning - Its basically taxidermy for trees.

Hmmm. I may have to try one and see if I can trick anybody...

Last edited:

bobleibo

I think this has some merit to it. Even with the "simple Ball Point Pen" contest, the ones who submitted segmented pens received the most votes which begs the question...did they win for their simple BP pen or their segmenting?

Which begs the question....Why did they enter the BP contest in the first place. Did they not realize there was a slimline contest?

They did.....but it seemed that everyone was trying to get in on the BP pen contest no matter what type of pen they had. I even had a few people with slimlines try to enter my contest. Sadly I had to turn them away and point them in your direction, otherwise you would have been very lonely over there....kind of like the IAP membership list in S. Dakota. Geez, even Utah got a blue dot on the IAP map!

Where is Florida Ed? Poking fun at him is half the reason I do this. The other half is poking fun at Utah Bob.:biggrin:

Poke away Derek, poke away! You may be next......:eek:

Attachments

• poke old people.jpg
    poke old people.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

stonepecker

Hey Bob, back on post #28 you said you were slow with the witty come backs.

I really think you are doing just fine. Keep it up and Derek won't know which side the next shot is comming from.

Hey Derek, I make cheap tombstones also..........just incase you need one.

KEEP SMILING!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Vic that pretty well covers it other than you need to address whether or not you will allow cnc multi casting technics. Number of pictures to submit. Type of pen if there is one you allow. etc. Take a look at Bash 10 -2014 for the casting contests and rules.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
For those of you joining us for the first time this year. When setting up your contests for prizes put the placements, 1st, 2nd, etc and use TBD. To Be Determined.
I will add the prizes once I know what they are. I do not have that information at times until after the Bash actually starts. Most contests other than Trivia wont need them immediately. The prize list changes daily upto and even after the Bash starts. A late donation can change the allotment drastically.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Andrew, If nothing else we can have Ribbons printed up. Im sure we could get a good deal on left overs or over runs from some other organization. As long as it says First Place we can cover any thing else up with a Magic Marker!

CREID

I mean who would care if it was pink and had 5k run on it.:tongue::biggrin:

Ok, now I'm new to this, so to be clear, I am not running a 5K.:eek::biggrin:
I am a 57, still 56 year old for another week fat guy. And don't any of you forget to send cake on my birthday, I really like cake.

Seriously, after winning a few archery tournaments, the actual award meant a lot less than the experience of the contest itself, win or lose. Nice prizes are cool, don't get me wrong and they will get you more contestants, but if there was nothing more than ribbons, you would get the people that enjoyed the contest for the comradery and the challenge.

Curt

stonepecker

I mean who would care if it was pink and had 5k run on it.:tongue::biggrin:

Ok, now I'm new to this, so to be clear, I am not running a 5K.:eek::biggrin:
I am a 57, still 56 year old for another week fat guy. And don't any of you forget to send cake on my birthday, I really like cake.

Seriously, after winning a few archery tournaments, the actual award meant a lot less than the experience of the contest itself, win or lose. Nice prizes are cool, don't get me wrong and they will get you more contestants, but if there was nothing more than ribbons, you would get the people that enjoyed the contest for the comradery and the challenge.

Curt

And that is the way it should be Curt.
But the cold hard facts is that some people have complained when they recieved their prize.......some said it wasn't worth it.

Personally, I really don't care what I would win. For me it is the fun of doing the pen and seeing if anyone else liked it.

One thing though......when you do win, you should recieve what was posted.

Just my opinion
Wayne

Lady_Acoma

I volunteered just to be a part of this whole thing knowing I will not likely be able to participate in any of the competitions due to life circumstances but it is the ability to participate that had me vary enthusiastic about wanting to do so. IMHO we do this hobby because we love it and if we can get a chance to have a friendly competition with peers all the better regardless of prizes. The competition should be driving you to hone your art so saying the prize wasn't worth it is saying that your art isn't worth it either.

*steps down from soapbox*

I'm not running anywhere either Curt and I'm only 35...

CREID

I volunteered just to be a part of this whole thing knowing I will not likely be able to participate in any of the competitions due to life circumstances but it is the ability to participate that had me vary enthusiastic about wanting to do so. IMHO we do this hobby because we love it and if we can get a chance to have a friendly competition with peers all the better regardless of prizes. The competition should be driving you to hone your art so saying the prize wasn't worth it is saying that your art isn't worth it either.

*steps down from soapbox*

I'm not running anywhere either Curt and I'm only 35...

careful, I fell off my soapbox and now I'm volunteering. Doctor! Doctor! I need a Doctor.
Seriously. At this point in my life, I am just happy to be able to turn pens and enjoy a little life.
I am new to these contest even though I have been a member for a long time. So if what Stonepecker (there is something about that name) is saying that somewhere at sometime someone didn't get what was posted, then they would have a right to a small complaint, but knowing that this isn't IBM or Microsoft, if a donater pulls a prize they donated or there was a mistake in the advertisement of what the prize would be, I hope there would be some understanding from the winner. I have run over 50 archery tournaments and I can say from experience, You will never, repeat, never, please everyone. All anyone can do is the best they can. Having said that, with the number of members on the IAP, there is very few volunteering. I hope this will be a great experience for me (which is why I am doing this) and will want to do so again in the future.

Curt

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Most of your contests will start on Feb 1st. and should end the weekend of the Sunday the 22nd. Polls will need to be posted within 24 hours and last 72 hours 3 days. Get er done. Trivia, puzzles, and Youth contests will end at different times.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
New thread in the bash forum please, Stonepecker and Monty have already posted theirs. Things we post here in the planning forum dont show to the membership at large and we will make new Forums for each contest under the Bash Forum created just for the Bash.
Let me add in, You will see the threads from the Bash Planning forum on the front page or the other lists like new posts etc. The rest of the membership cannot see them.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We do have a little more time than I first anticipated. I was thinking we would have a public discussion on them in December, especially the new contests. It however wont be necessary, we can review them ourselves and Post them in January for previewing and comments. I expect casting, AHB and cartridge, and pen box to have the most discussions if any. Still its good to have them up and reviewed for errors before we get into the Holidays.

Brooks803

Lots of the current contest posts are saying that we're using entry forms. Is that the case? I don't remember reading anything about it. Is Curtis making them again?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have emailed Curtis to confirm it but I am pretty sure he will help again this year. If not we will know before the contests and can make preparations then.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have discussed this With Mike Broberg and we will be removing the Ugly pen contest from the line up and replacing it with the "Impracticable Pen" contest.
I like to have at least 1 pen contest that isnt as serious that anyone can enter. Mike will be drawing up the Rules shortly.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Because of Time constraints, (Jonathon got really busy) and because we have so many pens that utilize segmenting in their entries in other contests we will not be holding a segmenting contest this year.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I have discussed this With Mike Broberg and we will be removing the Ugly pen contest from the line up and replacing it with the "Impracticable Pen" contest.
I like to have at least 1 pen contest that isnt as serious that anyone can enter. Mike will be drawing up the Rules shortly.

Now I wish we hadn't sold my son's dumbbells - I could have drilled a hole in his 50 pounder to make a modified slimline for this contest - or entered it into Derek's contest. :)

CREID

Now I wish we hadn't sold my son's dumbbells - I could have drilled a hole in his 50 pounder to make a modified slimline for this contest - or entered it into Derek's contest. :)

You could always check out Goodwill. I think that is a great idea.:tongue:

curt

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

curt

I think I may have an old bowling ball somewhere in a closet. That might even work better - no handle. :biggrin:

CREID

curt

I think I may have an old bowling ball somewhere in a closet. That might even work better - no handle. :biggrin:

I like it. You could even make a his and hers, by adding a chain to one of them. :biggrin:
Uh oh, no flaming, right? :eek:

Curt

bobleibo

You were able to sell them? I just kicked my son's out the door and told them to go home, even the scrawny one. :biggrin: Sorry, couldn't resist~

Speaking of Derek, how come he hasn't posted his contest on here yet? C'mon Derek, don't be so shy, we're all friends here~

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
On the 1st of January 2016 we need to copy and paste your Contest and rules In a new thread in the Activities Manger Forum. You Can make any changes you need to and I can edit them as needed up to the start of the contests. On Feb 1st your contests will have their own forum and you will have moderation in that forum. If You havent set starting and ending dates we need to decide on those before or as you move them to the AM Forum. The Get it done contest will be announced but no specifics that would give away the requirements for the pen. Have a happy New Year.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Everyone needs to move/copy their contest rules with any changes and the dates to The Activities Manager Forum for public review and feedback. This allows us a month to make any adjustments from feedback and it allows the members time to start planning.

If you have any questions or need help let me know. I would like to have them moved by Monday the 4th. There will be more feedback on the newer or condensed contests than the well established ones.

Mike

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes but most contests will start accepting applications the 1st of Feb. you can decide the closing day but you should have at least 2 weekends to give people time to make something. There are lots of contests going on at the same time and if you live in cold weather country, Time can be a factor.

Mr Vic

Yes but most contests will start accepting applications the 1st of Feb. you can decide the closing day but you should have at least 2 weekends to give people time to make something. There are lots of contests going on at the same time and if you live in cold weather country, Time can be a factor.
Works for me...Thanks Mike and Happy New Year!

Top Bottom