Volunteer sign in thread.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Scott, who has chaired the Ugly pen contest in the past years on and off will not be able to chair the contest this year. If any of you wish to take it on this year let me know.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I'll take whatever no one else wants to chair, even if it is the Ugly Pen Contest, which I have never liked. :cool:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Last years "ugly not gross" kept it under control from prior years.

Last edited:

Brooks803

Present and now accounted for!

Since I ran the advanced kit contest for the summer extravaganza I can do that again since I have the rules already laid out. Just need to change the dates.

I know you don't want to add more contests, but what about exchanging one for a segmented contest? Those always seem to push peoples pens to the top of the votes on the majority of the contests. Maybe they could have their own?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You have the advanced contest. I have added "segmenting" as a possibility. The question becomes does it need its own contest since its usually part of a great many of the pens entered in the other contests. Restricted to kit pens with minimal or no custom parts?

Brooks803

Honestly, that's what I'd love to see. A segmenting contest on its own and then a restricted kit contest. Like a wood only restriction (no segmenting of course).

bobleibo

Present and now accounted for!

Since I ran the advanced kit contest for the summer extravaganza I can do that again since I have the rules already laid out. Just need to change the dates.

I know you don't want to add more contests, but what about exchanging one for a segmented contest? Those always seem to push peoples pens to the top of the votes on the majority of the contests. Maybe they could have their own?

I think this has some merit to it. Even with the "simple Ball Point Pen" contest, the ones who submitted segmented pens received the most votes which begs the question...did they win for their simple BP pen or their segmenting?
Just my 2 cents worth

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I dont think that dictating the amount of pieces or different contrasting pieces will matter. If its a good design it will be recognized regardless. Will having a segmented contest take entries away from the other contests that they would have entered?

Brooks803

I don't think it will. Especially if there's a restricted contest. I'm thinking it'll spread them out more than anything else and hopefully not take over some contests like they typically do.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you have chosen a contest go ahead and start a thread with the rules. The first of Feb. is a Monday so contest should finish on Sunday evenings either the 14th or 21st. Polls will only run 71 hours or 3 days from posting. You will need to upload all pictures to the site for posting, no off site hosting. You will need to post the winning pens , one picture and the names of the winners along side the pen after the winners have been decided along with what they won.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Is anyone specifically interested in running the Trivia Contest? It is one of the hardest contests to run. It would be limited to 14 days but that means you have to generate 14 questions and answers That can be found on the website, do a drawing every day after the first day, award Prizes and do follow up. There are several years of trivia you can borrow the questions from and rewrite them or to get an idea of what is expected. THis is a great contest to help the new people find information about IAP.
Let me know if you want to tackle this contest.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great point on sharing the work for the trivia.
I believe that Edgar and Curtis will be working together on the puzzles again this year.
I know the crossword and picture puzzles are well liked.

bobleibo

Just a note:
In both of the Ball Point pen contests that I ran for the 2015 BASH and Summer Extravaganza, about 1/2 of the entries were segmented pens. I don't know how or if we would want to create some sort of restrictions to separate other contests from the segmented contests.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would allow segmenting in your contests. Jonathon has agreed to run it this year to see how it goes. Of course the pens can be only entered into one contest. We will see if it takes away from our other contests or just adds to the overall entries.

lyonsacc

The "Get it Done" contest that lasts just 1 week is also a segmenting contest.

Speaking of the "Get it Done' contest - Mike - would you like it to run the 1st week of February (Something like the 1st through the 7th) or the 2nd week of the month (8th through the 14th)? Or that can be decided later . . .

bobleibo

Mike,
The last couple of events like the Bash and S.E., a number of folks including me had a problem with the polls showing the results to the entire membership from the very start until either you, Mike B. or Jeff went in and corrected it. Is there a way we can create our polls and give them a test run for one of you folks with admin authority to insure this doesn't happen again?

Mr Vic

Made it in Mike, Hi all! Be happy to run either of these contests:

Casting 2 tube on, embedded objects, etc
Horn/casing combo

Happy to have the "Pen photo contest". Helped run the Trivia 2 years ago. Would be willing to help out with the Trivia contest as well but don't have the time to run it on my own.

Looking forward to the 2016 Bash!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Thank you Doug, if you and Robert Sherlock will get together Im sure Robert can help get you on the right track. If you need help with formulating questions you can always ask here for any help someone might have.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would like all contest rules posted by 11-15-15. This will give everyone time to have them reviewed for spelling and dates etc. Each contest will need the link to the Universal Contest Rules included in them. The link is at the bottom of the list of Contests.

We have several new members helping this year and its great to have you join with us.

If you need to you can review the 2015 bash contests for the rules that were used and tweak them as necessary.

Mr Vic

Vic why dont you take the Casting 2 Contest.

I'll get right on it boss;

Rules: must include a tube some sort of liquid that will harden and an inanimate object either attached to the tube or suspended in the hardened liquid?

Top Bottom