ULTIMATE PEN SEGMENTING SLED

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GDIS46

I have a question for you----- how are you making the angles that are the main part of the sled and how are you cutting them???
I am thinking (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) of squaring the fence first then using my Osborne EB-3 miter gauge (verified with a digital protractor) to cut the three jig angles I think I am going to need - 30°, 45°. and 60°.

Attachments

• 51VqJ9mcSuL.jpg
    51VqJ9mcSuL.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 51401_01-1000.jpg
    51401_01-1000.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 3768459225_499db46d3d_o.jpg
    3768459225_499db46d3d_o.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a question for you----- how are you making the angles that are the main part of the sled and how are you cutting them???
I am thinking (and feel free to correct me if I am wrong) of squaring the fence first then using my Osborne EB-3 miter gauge (verified with a digital protractor) to cut the three jig angles I think I am going to need - 30°, 45°. and 60°.

That is fine if you have it tuned in. Good luck with this project. Hope to see many segmented pens come out of your shop. Looking forward to them.

GDIS46

Updated copy of the plans

Here is an update to the plans. I have yet to include the detailed plans for the five jigs that sit on top of the sled but will post them as soon as they are available. A PDF version is available if you email me at gdis46(at)gmail(dot)com.

Attachments

• SALISBURY SLED.pdf
    970.4 KB · Views: 243

GDIS46

JPG files of the plans

Here are the JPG versions of the current plans.

Also, to clarify something. I have copyrighted the design so no one copies and sells this idea, however, I grant any individual the right to make one for their own use. Just don't sell it to make money on my design.

Attachments

• SALISBURY SLED_Page_1.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_1.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 226
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_2.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 246
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_3.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_3.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 243
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_4.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_4.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 248
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_6.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_6.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 271
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_5.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_5.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 239

Curly

Are the T tracks on the angled components across the front or above the jig so the blade doesn't touch? A SawStop won't like them if they are low enough to cut. I know you've put a lot into the sled system but I'll stick to simpler and more buckshee methods. Do you plan to make a protractor head/adjustable fence to allow for nonstandard cuts?

jttheclockman

I am sorry but I will once again refer back to my post #33. From what I see you are betting on a lot of things to be dead on and I am not willing to take that bet. You also say you copyrighted it but you also need to explain how accurate your fence needs to be in line with that blade and all the other things we talked about. I wish you luck. Happy segmenting.

GDIS46

1. Are the T tracks on the angled components across the front or above the jig so the blade doesn't touch? A SawStop won't like them if they are low enough to cut.

2. I know you've put a lot into the sled system but I'll stick to simpler and more buckshee methods.

3. Do you plan to make a protractor head/adjustable fence to allow for non-standard cuts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. They are across the front but can easily be moved an inch back. You make a good point about SawStop and anyone making this sled should keep that in mind. When I get to the stage of building each jig, I will re-evaluate that. The reason I put it up front is that I was going to use these Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking 1-Inch #13-MLFSTOP Flip Stops. They are nice and compact and lend themselves well to this project.

2. Each to his own, Curly.

3. I thought about that first but liked the repeatability and accuracy of a fixed jig. I was planning on using a digital protractor so I could get repeatable cuts somewhat like a Dubby. With all respect to those of you who are in love with their Dubby sleds, this is not that animal. You can't trim a pen blank lengthwise with a Dubby sled but you can with this one.

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 81LmdSp7sFL._SL1500_.jpg
    81LmdSp7sFL._SL1500_.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

GDIS46

Minor update to some of the drawings. Will post more as I progress. Also, here is an Excel file doing the math for Willian Ng's 5-Cut Method for squaring the rear fence.

Attachments

• SALISBURY SLED_Page_1.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_1.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 230
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_2.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_2.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 198
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_3.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_3.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 283
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_4.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_4.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 214
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_5.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_5.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 218
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_6.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_6.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 261
  • SALISBURY SLED_Page_7.jpg
    SALISBURY SLED_Page_7.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 245
  • William Ng's 5 Cut Method.xlsx
    13.8 KB · Views: 241

jttheclockman

1. Are the T tracks on the angled components across the front or above the jig so the blade doesn't touch? A SawStop won't like them if they are low enough to cut.

2. I know you've put a lot into the sled system but I'll stick to simpler and more buckshee methods.

3. Do you plan to make a protractor head/adjustable fence to allow for non-standard cuts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. They are across the front but can easily be moved an inch back. You make a good point about SawStop and anyone making this sled should keep that in mind. When I get to the stage of building each jug, I will re-evaluate that.

2. Each to his own, Curly.

3. I thought about that first but liked the repeatability and accuracy of a fixed jig. I was planning on using a digital protractor so I could get repeatable cuts somewhat like a Dubby. With all respect to those of you who are in love with their Dubby sled, this is not that animal. You can't trim a pen blank lengthwise with a Dubby sled but you can with this one.

Thanks for your input.

Again not true. You are locked in on this sled and you have made it work for you. Good luck.

Top Bottom