Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

summerspa

Thanks for approving my application.
Ben turning since Jr High Shop Class with Mr. Fox.
Didn't turn a pen until a few year ago, but found it enjoyable and rewarding.
I'm a retired US Naval Officer (LDO.)
Been working a Woodcraft Norfolk/Virginia Beach for a few years now doing Saturday Demos and teaching a few classes.
I work out of a 2,000 sq ft shop that is shoved into a 720 sq ft garage.
I seem to collect lathes but have finally learned it's better to share than horde, so I'm down to 5, or is it 6?
Main wood lathe is the Powermatic 3520B pictured below.
Behind it is a 1946 Southbend metal lathe.
My demo lathe is a Rikon 70-220VSR
Lost in the back is a 1940s era Montogmery Ward.
And I just added an older Jet Mini Lathe a few months ago.
Looking forward to learning and sharing with the group.
20131205_182919.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

I hear you. I have a junk 8", a 10" turncrafter pro that needs a power switch, a harbor freight one for long stuff that I have never tried, and a 12" Turncrafter.

Lew

Welcome to the group. You'll find a lot of help and suggestions on this space. I can relate to a 2000 square foot shop in a 720 square foot space. There never seems to be enough room!

jrista

Welcome to IAP! And wow, what a collection of lathes!!

You mention a number of specific ones, including some from the 1940s...but, I am not seeing those in your photo? Do you have photos of the other lathes?

I seem to have started my own collection...mostly in my journey to find "the right" lathe, so to say. :p I've ended up with four so far...a Nova 14DR (14x18), a Wen 14x20, a Laguna Revo 1524, and a Powermatic 3520C. I think I finally found "the one" with the Powermatic. Love that lathe. So well built!!! Beautiful machine. Not as quiet as the Laguna, but its a phenomenal machine. I'll probably keep the Wen, need to try and sell the rest, though... Ah, collecting machines!! Seems like it almost becomes a hobby in and of itself at some point. šŸ¤£

summerspa

Welcome to IAP! And wow, what a collection of lathes!!

You mention a number of specific ones, including some from the 1940s...but, I am not seeing those in your photo? Do you have photos of the other lathes?

I seem to have started my own collection...mostly in my journey to find "the right" lathe, so to say. :p I've ended up with four so far...a Nova 14DR (14x18), a Wen 14x20, a Laguna Revo 1524, and a Powermatic 3520C. I think I finally found "the one" with the Powermatic. Love that lathe. So well built!!! Beautiful machine. Not as quiet as the Laguna, but its a phenomenal machine. I'll probably keep the Wen, need to try and sell the rest, though... Ah, collecting machines!! Seems like it almost becomes a hobby in and of itself at some point. šŸ¤£
Got two pictures for you.
First the the Rikon. It's my remote demonstration lathe. I added the bed extension so I can turn canes at demos. It's on a DeWalt folding miter saw stand. I added wheels to the handle end so I can move it around after it's set up.
Second is the South Bend. In the photo I"m lifting it over the Powermatic to it's (new) home. It and the powermatic are both under a 10" I beam with a 3 ton hoist and a 1/4 ton trolley for loading larger pieces on the powermatic.
Don't have any photos of the Monkey Ward as it's buried somewhere in the back of the shop and needs work before I can put it in service. Will probably put a small 3 phase on it with a VFD.
The Jet is a new addition and I haven't set it up for photos yet.

Attachments

• 20151231_101616.jpg
    20151231_101616.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20141104_123538.jpg
    20141104_123538.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 59

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Hello and Welcome to our home. We have many ideas and Downloadable PDF tutorials for your review.

Here's an Introductory Document for Reference.

Complete List of Forums

Menu of all IAP Library Articles, References, Tips, Tutorials

Pen Kit Suppliers - World Wide

Which Pen Suppliers do you Purchase from? (Poll)

Have Fun!

Top Bottom