Stabilizing Snakewood - Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BangleGuy

I would like to make a bangle using Snakewood and so I bought a small block to give it a try. I have read a lot on the IAP forum about Snakewood and cracking. I liked the advice of a few folks who suggested "don't try to avoid cracks, make them appear and fix it with sanding dust and CA". There is also a lot of debate about whether it can be stabilized, or not.

So, I am wondering if anyone has direct experience stabilizing this stuff? If so, did it make it less susceptible to cracking or did it make it crack? Any other tips on working with Snakewood (like avoiding heat, or just go to town machining, and then fix the cracks) would be appreciated.

I am looking to make the bangle out a four piece glue-up with maybe blackwood or rosewood segments. I am thinking of using two-part epoxy as the glue... I will post my progress once I get started. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks all!

Eric

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I have found the biggest problems with snakewood are caused by not letting it settle after rough cutting and stressing it by the use of press in fittiings in kits. Not sure how you make the bangles, but if you rough cut the snakewood and let it sit for a few days before trying anything else you will be better off. Try measuring the id of the hole for the bangle when you first cut it and then aftger a few days. I'll bet it gets smaller. When you restrict this shrinkage, that's when it cracks. If you open the hole up again, it may still shrink but after a few iterations it will be stable. Notice just sitting around the shop it doesn't crack, only when you don't allow it to move.

Top Bottom