The Silicone Experiments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

This is an ongoing extended event with the purpose of learning how to properly use and maintain silicone molds for the purpose of casting pen blanks and do so in the most economic manner.

My goal is to create a small chart of different silicone materials, maintained in different ways, a set pertaining to Urethane Resins and a set for Polyester Resins. These being the two most common mediums.

Why? Silicone molds do not come with a user manual. You can look up tons of information about silicone, but there are so many types, brands, uses, and misconceptions out there, it becomes impossible to get the truth. For example, I can be told a mold will be good for 150 pours. 150 pours of what though? PR, Alumilite, soft metals, candy, candles? And just how fancy and detailed are these molds? Every use has a different result. For some of us, pouring is just fun, and you pour one or two blanks, and that's just fine, but for some of us we pour thousands of blanks in a year, and we have overhead costs to meet, and the cost of silicone is part of the deal. Silicone is very convenient. There are other ways, but I have found none that are faster and more convenient and as simple to re-create as silicone, and time is not only money, but time is more money that the mold itself is worth, so therefore the mold should be maximized so it can be put to work for as long as possible, but on the flipside if it costs more money to keep the mold running than the extra blanks you achieve it is not worth it.

In the beginning, I thought a silicone mold would last forever. This might sound silly, but I bet many others may think or have thought the same thing. But, after a while, the resin starts to stick to the mold, and eventually will stick to the point where it tears chunks out of the mold. But..I thought nothing sticks to silicone! Oh..that's not true at all. Nothing sticks to silicone oil is the real truth. Now imagine this...at the county fair there is a square balloon tub and it is full of little balls and the kids jump into the balls. We've all seen and maybe even experienced this. Now if you take silicone and put it under a microscope, you basically see the same thing. It's billions of tiny balls stuck together. In the balloon room, there is air between all the balls. Now in Silicone, there is oil in between all the balls. This oil is what prevents anything from sticking to the balls. Once the oil is depleted then resin starts to come into the mold filling in between the little balls and when you pry the resin out it pulls silicone with it. Each time you use the mold, you lose more oil, drying out the mold and allowing the penetration that is the death of it all.

When you read about how to use molds, 1/2 the answers are to just use them as is..no problem. 1/2 the answers are to spray them with release. There are also people that use wax in the molds, and there is a process called baking the mold. Applying wax or release is self explanatory. You would apply these every time you use the mold. To bake a mold, you need some 200 silicone oil. Hard to find in small quantities, but Alumilite does carry it in one pound increments. You wipe the mold with the silicone oil and let sit 15 min only and then you bake the mold at 200 degrees for 1 hr. This will cause the oil to penetrate into the mold and the resin trapped inside to be pushed back out, rejuvenating the mold to like new status.

I am not a silicone expert. I have not tried all these techniques and have not experienced all the different types of silicone's out there either. I am told that some silicone's will last longer than others for what we do here, but the difference is going to be very minor. From what experiments I have done so far, I am finding that to be the truth. So an expensive silicone is going to lose money in the end. I was told this Dow Corning silicone would do 150 pours...as you will see in the pic, it made it to 117 pours before death, and this mold was used completely dry all the time, and with alumilite at an average 60lbs of pressure. I think pressure casting and non pressure casting would be drastically different, but that's only a theory, I have no evidence. I switched to Smooth-on, and went with a harder shore, 27T and achieved 121 pours, used dry only and it was 75% cheaper silicone than the Dow.

Anyhow...so here's where you guys will hopefully donate your molds to the educational research because it will take me too many years to try every option available! Not donate to me the mold itself, just the research. I need volunteers. It does not matter where you get your molds, if you make the silicone yourself or if you buy them from New London or Subbie. As long as they are silicone. As you can see in pic 2, I have set up a second experiment set of molds. I have the weight of the mold, and the type of the product on the mold. Then how the mold is being used and how many times. I already have a result on the dry for this type of mold, so I am going to switch that mold to be baked every 15 uses. The other mold I am going to spray with release every time I use it till it dies..and I'm betting that the mold will not last 200% longer with the spray but time will tell. This will be important too, because a bottle of spray is $16 so if the mold doesn't do better than half again as many pours, I lost money. My gut tells me that if you wax a mold with something like a can of Johnsons paste wax every time, and at a cost of $5 for a can of that stuff that lasts dang near till you die..the mold will last for many many years..but we shall see if I'm right.

So...Volunteers. You can volunteer more than once too, that's no problem. I already know that PTownSubbie and NewLondon88 provide a different product type. If you make your own molds, that's awesome too. This experiment is for maximum use of the product in real time. None of this, I poured over 300 dry and keep going as that's just a number you pull out of your butt..no, we need the real numbers. It's going to take some time.

I need, Alumilite users and PR users. Find out what the product is you are using if you purchase mold from someone.
I need volunteers for everything PR, as I don't do that.
I need calculations for dry pours.
I need spray release every time pours
I need baked every 15 uses pours
I need paste wax every time pours.

Tell me the product you are using and which method you will use. So if you use OOMOO 25, which is what Fred Pours, I need a volunteer for each of the above in PR and alumilite. So that's 8 experiments for OOMOO 25. I'm not sure what Charlie is currently using, perhaps he will let us know.

I realize results will vary from one user to another when using the same methods, but I do not believe results wouldnt change by much so long as the original experiment was consistent with his use and counting. Eventually I will form a small chart which will show the results of what people used and how they used it, which will allow people to make more educated decisions as to how they take care of their silicone molds, or if it's even worth taking care of them at all.

Attachments

• mold1.jpg
    mold1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 582
  • mold2.jpg
    mold2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

workinforwood

To start things off..I know it'll take forever if anyone will volunteer, to get more results, but here's some from the few experiments I have done so far.

Dow corning 20 shore hardness Silicone from 2 LB kit purchased at Alumilite. I used Alumilite urethane resin under pressure and never treated the mold in any way. It survived 117 uses.

Smooth-on 27T clear silicone. I used Alumilite urethane resin under pressure, never treated mold and achieved 121 uses.

srf1114

I don't have any data for you, but I can tell you with your experiment the 4 uses difference in a 2 sample experimental set is most likely statistically insignificant ( on uses, obviously if the cheaper silicon give similar results, that is not insignificant).

Of course more data will prove or disprove this.

I don't pour often or alot, but I'll track it and report back.

workinforwood

I do think the type of silicone will make a difference, but I think the difference will be insignificant from a cost analysis point of view. If you get 5 more pours but it cost you $5 more, there was no saving but rather you took a loss. I do however think there will be a big difference between PR and Alumilite, especially if you are using pressure. Alumilite is unique in that it bonds to chemicals, so it might theoretically suck out more oil than PR would and because of the pressure, when the oil is no longer on the surface of the mold, the alumilite would push in to the mold more causing more damage at a faster rate. PR with no pressure in a dry mold should last far longer. That's just my theory, yet to be proven.

I have the highest hopes for johnsons paste wax. I have one of Charlies block molds that I've used who knows how much, but certainly a lot and this weekend it met it's match and the bottom started to chunk out stuck to the resin. I had to order some more silicone, because I am out, and have no more block molds, and my special mold I created and use for my scrolled blanks has done the same thing. It was an emergency though..I had to pour a block because I have some dragonflies to make. I know if I use Charlies mold, even if I spray it with release, the resin will stick fast and I'll need a knife to cut out the block. But..at least I'll get that one block I really need. So having read about waxing, I pulled out the $5 can of johnson's and waxed the inside of the mold. I poured the resin. An hour later I opened it up and the mold popped out like butter, no damage to the sick mold. If I used the spray can release, I know it would not have worked..been there tried that before. The alumilite block is coated in thin layer of wax now..that makes no difference though, and the alumilite did not bond to the wax, just is on the outer surface. If you use any normal oil to lube mold, the alumilite will actually bond right to the oil making things even worse, as now the oil is in the mold, the alumilite becomes one with the oil right inside the mold and you can only cut and grind the silicone away to salvage the resin. Soon as my new silicone arrives, I am going to start testing it with the paste wax all the time for my scroll casting mold. I'll put a light coat of wax on every single time I use it. If I only double the life of the mold, I save a lot of money due to the cost of wax being so minimal. You can figure pouring your own silicone you have a cost of 3 cents per blank in a dry mold. With wax, it would add maybe a tenth of a penny but if it pushed the mold twice as far, you now have 1.5 cents per blank. I'd like to get to 1 penny or less per blank if possible. 3 cents is a lot of money when you make over 2000 blanks in a year and then if you also add the time lost mixing the silicone and tying up a pot while that stuff takes forever to cure, it's significant. Nobody is going to give me a raise, I have to make my own raise and if I can get a raise without affecting anyone else, that's nice!

Fibonacci

I'll put a light coat of wax on every single time I use it. If I only double the life of the mold, I save a lot of money due to the cost of wax being so minimal. You can figure pouring your own silicone you have a cost of 3 cents per blank in a dry mold. With wax, it would add maybe a tenth of a penny but if it pushed the mold twice as far, you now have 1.5 cents per blank. I'd like to get to 1 penny or less per blank if possible. 3 cents is a lot of money when you make over 2000 blanks in a year and then if you also add the time lost mixing the silicone and tying up a pot while that stuff takes forever to cure, it's significant. Nobody is going to give me a raise, I have to make my own raise and if I can get a raise without affecting anyone else, that's nice!

I think this is a great experiment, but if you are looking at it from a purely profit perspective, you also have to consider the cost of the additional time you spend waxing on EVERY pour.

That would be offset by the time that you don't have to spend making a new mold, but it cuts into the profit that you make on paper.

workinforwood

This is true, but the mold has to be cleaned before every pour regardless. So now you are just cleaning using wax. To wax the mold I poured this morning took only a few seconds, but saved me more than a few seconds when it came to pulling the block out of the mold. The molds I use the most only contact the resin on the side walls, and not the bottom, so this mold is even faster and easier to wax, just a couple wipes around a 1" wide square, and the piece of paper towel stays in the can and keeps working. The paste wax is $5 and probably contains enough wax to coat a mold a few thousand times, the mold release is $16 and only contains a couple hundred sprays if you are lucky, but the mold release doesn't seem to have any effect with silicone that I can find..or at least not on silicone that has been used dry a few dozen times. I did however read that simply spraying mold release on used silicone is not going to do anything to help, it has to be sprayed heavy and then burnished into the silicone..so now I don't really know what that means, I can only guess rubbed in real hard for awhile.

bitshird

Jeff, I have one of Gadgets 3/4 in molds that's 3 years old, I've cast a couple hundred blanks so probably 50 pours, and have never used any type of release, but I use PR. I also have 2 of Charlies molds but haven't used them much, maybe 20 pens out of the sierra Gent mold, not really enough to give any kind of evaluation, but then I'm not a big time caster so I'm not sure if my results would pertain to your study, I sure hope you have better luck compiling Data than Phillywood did with his chart.

PenMan1

Jeff:

I know this sounds like "common sense", but it may be worth repeating or sharing.

I have found that the life of the mold is directly related to the thickness of the side walls. The thicker the exterior walls surrounding the mold cavity, the longer these molds last. I have several "blue" silicone molds that have had held several hundred blanks blanks over 3 or 4 years.

My thin exterior walled molds never even make 100 pours. This is not because they are inferior, but instead there is not enough "meat" around the cavity to handle the "flex" of repeatedly popping out hundreds of blanks. They always tear at the corners.

workinforwood

Jeff:

I know this sounds like "common sense", but it may be worth repeating or sharing.

I have found that the life of the mold is directly related to the thickness of the side walls. The thicker the exterior walls surrounding the mold cavity, the longer these molds last. I have several "blue" silicone molds that have had held several hundred blanks blanks over 3 or 4 years.

My thin exterior walled molds never even make 100 pours. This is not because they are inferior, but instead there is not enough "meat" around the cavity to handle the "flex" of repeatedly popping out hundreds of blanks. They always tear at the corners.

yes, this is true, but from what I've read, it's not the flexing that is a problem. You can take those thin walls when they are fresh and flex them back and forth thousands of times and they will not break. But..what is true about the thinner walls is that there is less oil in them as a whole, so they will become depleted faster and when the oil is gone, now the silicone is dry and will crack and tear. Either way, it would be nice to have a physical count of your pours per mold and the method of care the mold was given if any at all. I sometimes pour like a mad beast, and it can seem like I have poured far more than I actually did. This is why I started actually counting, because I can blow through a mold in 3 months easy, and I pour a heck of a lot in that time, but not as much as I thought.

workinforwood

Jeff, I have one of Gadgets 3/4 in molds that's 3 years old, I've cast a couple hundred blanks so probably 50 pours, and have never used any type of release, but I use PR. I also have 2 of Charlies molds but haven't used them much, maybe 20 pens out of the sierra Gent mold, not really enough to give any kind of evaluation, but then I'm not a big time caster so I'm not sure if my results would pertain to your study, I sure hope you have better luck compiling Data than Phillywood did with his chart.

Thanks Ken. Whether anyone will help document or not, I'll get something compiled worth noting, but I'll only be able to compile information for people that use Alumilite. This is not anything compared to Philly's wood chart. This is just a small comparison chart to see if it's worth taking care of a mold, and if so, what's the best way to do so. I want to see real numbers, not memories and guesstimates is all.

You know when you buy molds from these guys, you get a steal of a deal. They aren't getting rich making these. The profit margin is low, and it's a lot of messy work! I save 50% by doing it myself and obtain the molds I require which they don't offer..these would be special needs molds, but I always cringe when I have to go pour a new one. Why anyone would do this as even a small side business is beyond me!

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
The Resinsavers are either MoldMax 30 by Smooth-On, MoldMax 40,
TinSil 70-25 by Polytek or AM128 by Aromarine.
I haven't cast enough myself to really have a feel for how long the molds
last. I have made replacement molds for some people after 250-300
casting cycles, but I don't know if they used releases or not.

seamus7227

Jeff, I cast with PR, but I will need to get new molds. Its funny you started all of this, the other day when I was pulling my silicone plugs out of the tubes, I noticed that some of the plugs are beginning to look dry. And I wondered if there was an oil within the silicone. Anyway, I too have Johnson's Paste wax (for my scroll saw) and will test that theory as well! I wonder if any of the silicone mold blank sellers would be willing to donate to the cause for research?!:biggrin::rolleyes:

workinforwood

Yes plse Seamus, if you get new mold and plugs, tape a piece paper at your casting station and wax your stuff every time, put a mark on the paper and we see how far you can go.I am guessing you don't use pressure either..- bet that will make a difference.

Buzzzz4

I just started with a 2 new molds from Gadget. I have a vertical and a horizontal. I have done 3 or 4 pours in each with Alumilite. I'll try to keep track for you. I don't do anything with them, and pour them dry. I had some from PTown, but it seemed like it wore out quite fast. Also was done dry. I also have some Resin Savers that haven't seen any resin yet, I haven't really found a use for them.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Jeff, please could you tell me roughly how much it costs to to make one of those 26 to 27 oz molds and how many blanks does it hold?

It appears to me, from your great info above that the molds' life span is mostly determined by the amount of casts done, rather than the amount of blanks cast. In other words, a mold that can hold 2 blanks would last just as long as a mold that could hold 4 blanks or even 20 blanks. I guess this limit is only restricted by the size of mold you can fit in your pressure pot?

Although I do have a full set of Charlie's molds, I'm afraid I very rarely use them so I'd be little use to your experiment. I pour my own PR resin in metal kitchen baking trays to end up with 12 x 8 x 1 inch slabs. ( 16 blanks ). The metal trays cost about ÂŁ2.
Unlike you, I don't make blanks on an industrial scale so even if I only use the trays once or twice so this cost is not a problem to me. Good luck on the data collecting:biggrin:

seamus7227

I am using Subbie's molds, dry, no pressure, but with 150 degree heat and resin. I also dont cast near the amount that you are casting, my goodness, thats alot! That doesnt mean that wont change, but this is a great experiment and I think will prove very useful to others and ourselves that are casting with resins! Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this!

seamus7227

I had some from PTown, but it seemed like it wore out quite fast. Also was done dry.

I'm curious the amount of casting you did while using his molds, reason being: I use his molds(since he changed his design) and haven't had any issues. But again it appears as though there could be factors involved like pressure, heat vs. no heat, vacuum vs. no vacuum, and whatever else that i may have left out. Now, without having a biased opinion on Fred's molds, I have used others and found his to be the best for how I cast.

Buzzzz4

I had some from PTown, but it seemed like it wore out quite fast. Also was done dry.

I'm curious the amount of casting you did while using his molds, reason being: I use his molds(since he changed his design) and haven't had any issues. But again it appears as though there could be factors involved like pressure, heat vs. no heat, vacuum vs. no vacuum, and whatever else that i may have left out. Now, without having a biased opinion on Fred's molds, I have used others and found his to be the best for how I cast.

I cast with Alumilite and use a pressure pot up to 40 to 45 psi. After about 40-50 pours, I started getting chunks coming out with the Alumilite. I was told you can fill those voids with pure silicone, but I just went with another mold and so far am quite pleased. The new molds are thicker and the casts just slip right out. I'm not sure when the design was changed, but mine were purchased in the latter part of 2010.

seamus7227

I cast with Alumilite and use a pressure pot up to 40 to 45 psi. After about 40-50 pours, I started getting chunks coming out with the Alumilite. I was told you can fill those voids with pure silicone, but I just went with another mold and so far am quite pleased. The new molds are thicker and the casts just slip right out. I'm not sure when the design was changed, but mine were purchased in the latter part of 2010.

I wonder if alumilite is more aggressive on the silicone than the PR?! This too might be a factor. thanks for sharing your info. I also wonder if the pressure is playing a major roll, since I dont use pressure, this will help having several different opinions and techniques!

workinforwood

A gallon is usually 10 pounds, 16 oz in a pound, so we can make math simple and just say a 28 oz mold is 2 pounds, 5 molds from a gallon. 27T with ship approx $110 so $22 a mold. This mold is very special in design and has thick walls on purpose so it won't bow in under pressure.

I am not finding thinner molds to last much less than thicker.

I believe alumilite and pressure too make big difference in mold life. Yet to be proven but that's 1 goal here.

Absolutely a stored mold will still lose oil.

OOMOO is cheaper but doesn't mean we can't economically extend its life dramatically. We shall see because I think cheaper doesn't mean a thing.

Eric, plse change mold 2 to wax. Pour 1 dry, wax mold 2 every use. Make a tally sheet for accurate count.

I will get some oomoo molds and run them same way.

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
None of the manufacturers seem to have a standard test for longevity,
but the MoldMax silicone uses a catalyst called 'Libra' that is supposed to
have a longer library life. I don't think the Oomoo series is meant for
longevity or tear strength.
It would be nice if the manufacturers would use a standard test for
comparison purposes. Other industries do it.

ElMostro

As I understand it, even time is a factor. Silicone will lose oils even
if it isn't used.

This is correct. I bought a mold to cast individual 3/4" blanks and rarely used it (maybe 5-6 times in 14 month) and in the last use bits and pieces of the mold started to get stuck to the Alumilite. I cast under pressure and on this mold did not use any release agent.
Eugene

thewishman

Just a conjecture: casting resin with wood, coffee beans, pasta, roses, pinecones... wouldn't that be another variable? Those materials may adhere to the molds in a different manner than the resins on their own.

workinforwood

Just a conjecture: casting resin with wood, coffee beans, pasta, roses, pinecones... wouldn't that be another variable? Those materials may adhere to the molds in a different manner than the resins on their own.

I sure wouldn't say so. You stick any of those in a silicone mold..they don't stick to it. Only the resin sticks to it..assuming mold has reached point of deterioration/drying out.

I got some more silicone, it's a 60 shore hardness with metal in it for added strength. Supposedly the harder the silicone the longer it will last. The 27 is just a hair less than what Charlie is using and the walls hold up mostly good, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what this does..I have a need with this mold that 2 walls stay up straight and don't bow...as long as the bow is just a hair it's ok, but the straighter the better. I will see. I poured one this morning. I'm going to make 2 of them, pour one dry and wax the other.

biednick

Today I pulled my 6th cast (Alumilite in a mold made with their quick set RTV silicone) and got a few small chuncks or silicone. Wall thickness is around 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I have never used pressure or vacume or any mold release. Just my personal experience.

workinforwood

Today I pulled my 6th cast (Alumilite in a mold made with their quick set RTV silicone) and got a few small chuncks or silicone. Wall thickness is around 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I have never used pressure or vacume or any mold release. Just my personal experience.

I can believe that. Their RTV is Dow corning..the kings of silicone. I think there's a big difference between PR and Alumilite when it comes to using silicone. The two resins are the same, but very different. Urethane resins chemically bond to other oil based additives and to paint, so my guess is that the alumilite pulls the oils out of the silicone at a much faster rate. We all know if you add oil paint to PR, it works, but can leave some sticky paint residue on top, but with Alumilite that is never the case.

If you want to keep using that mold, rub it with johnsons paste wax. You'll have to do it every time before you want to use the mold.

Sylvanite

According to a friend of mine who is a fiberglass fabricator, PVA mold release is really for filling pores in the mold, and doesn't make the best surface prep for debonding. After making and sanding the mold, he'll treat it once with PVA but then put on carnauba wax and burnish it in. It is the hard, smooth surface of the carnauba that the polyester (or other) will pull from cleanly. In subsequent uses, he doesn't reapply PVA - he very carefully and fully cleans and rewaxes the mold. His preferred wax is Meguiar's Gold Carnauba Wax.

Now, he's using molds made from fiberglass instead of silicone, and he's aiming for the best possible surface on the molded part (rather than maximum mold life). Besides that, however, I think a lot of his experience will translate.

Johnson's Paste Wax is a blend including carnauba, cera microcristallina, and paraffin. It might not produce as hard a surface as burnished carnauba, but still work well as a silicone mold release.

I think you're on the right track.

Regards,
Eric

biednick

I can believe that. Their RTV is Dow corning..the kings of silicone. I think there's a big difference between PR and Alumilite when it comes to using silicone. The two resins are the same, but very different. Urethane resins chemically bond to other oil based additives and to paint, so my guess is that the alumilite pulls the oils out of the silicone at a much faster rate. We all know if you add oil paint to PR, it works, but can leave some sticky paint residue on top, but with Alumilite that is never the case.

If you want to keep using that mold, rub it with johnsons paste wax. You'll have to do it every time before you want to use the mold.

Thanks for the tip, my plan was just to get some mold release and keep using it. That also make sense that the alumilite pulls oils out faster and it was a fairly thin walled mold so there wasn't a whole lot of oils in it to start with.

workinforwood

I am finding that mold release on silicone with alumilite pours does not work well. I think the alumilite bonds with the mold release just like it was paint! It's been driving me bonkers for a long time..but I'm keeping the experimentation going, documenting things how they play out, and monitoring expenses of doing so at the same time, to obtain the best way to maximize a silicone mold. My new mold that I am waxing every single time has almost 30 pours in it so far and it is the most pristine looking used mold I ever saw, and the cost of wax and amount used so far, well it's cheap and I have not even hardly dented the surface of that big can!

workinforwood

Ok...so my theory that paste wax is a cheap effective way to extend a mold life is a wash! It had the opposite effect, similar to the effect of using UMR mold release. For a while the mold seemed perfect like it was going to go the distance. But, after only 40 pours, the mold started sticking bad. At 42 pours I had to use a knife to separate the resin from the mold. I've been noticing that the wax and the alumilite are actually bonding themselves together. So my new theory is that by waxing the mold, same as spraying UMR on a mold, you are pushing the release into the pours of the mold, even though a mold appears to have no pours it actually does, and since the Alumilite is bonding with the releases it is pulling out the silicone oil extra fast and destroying the mold. You have to keep in mind if you do casting, that Alumilite and PR are very very different substances, and although Alumilite is not a glue and does not stick to itself as good as PR does, it has a unique property of bonding with other liquids other than water of course.

So far, doing absolutely nothing to a mold is the best option for the longest life and then ditch the mold and start a new one.

I have one final method to test. Baking and re-oiling the mold with silicone. That is the final experiment/test, as I can think of no other reasonable ways to make a mold last super long. Baking and re-oiling the mold is not expensive, but will be a neusance, so if it does extend a mold life, it's gonna have to be dramatic to be worth it. Perhaps, it just is what it is, you get a hundred pours and start fresh.

Brooks803

Jeff, I just started using the paste wax with my molds. Some i've been using non stop for many months (don't know the exact date) and some are almost new. So far everything has been great. I use PR so we'll see if there's any changes.

PTownSubbie

Jeff,

This has really opened a lot of people's eyes, I think. Alumilite is harsh on molds.....However, I don't use anything on mine but I clean them before use with DNA. I cast no where near as much as you but I have had these molds for nearly a year now and they are still going strong. When they actually do fail and I start new ones, I will keep track of the alumilite Worthless Wood casts I get from them.

Very interesting results!

workinforwood

oops..hit reply. Ok..I am not at 150 pours of alumilite in the same sili mold. about 50 pours ago the mold started getting that dry feeling. I put just a little silicone oil on some paper towel and wiped the mold. Works for about 5 pours then add a bit more oil, only takes a few seconds to apply and seems to need redone every 5 pours or so, but the cost is very effective too. I am in for a bottle of the oil at around $15. I have used hardly any of it so far. The cost of the mold itself, that's me making it myself is around $35-40 plus the time. It's been very worth while so far. I also oiled one of Charlie's large block 5.5 square molds that was all chunking out on me and it now behaves like it is brand new although of course the block that comes out of it is not perfectly smooth on the bottom due to some missing chunks of silicone. Supposedly if I bake the mold on low temp for 10 min then the oil will soak in even more, but I don't see myself bothering with that if just wiping it every 5 times or so works so good, because that method is much quicker and easier.

My Dow corning silicone oil was purchased from Alumilite.com
My silicone is 35 clear from smooth on.

Will the mold now last forever? I don't know..I think if I'm oiling it and it's rejuvenating and therefore not drying out..maybe forever is a lot to ask but I think a very long time is reasonable.

Justturnin

I am sorry to drag this beast from out of wherever old post go but this is great info and I would like to see what the results were. I am about to invest in some mold material and would like for it to last as long as possible. From what Jeff wrote on one of his last posts here he was using silicone oil to keep the mold going. How many casts did you end up getting from it Jeff? Is it still going?

Top Bottom