Six Ring "Celtic Knot"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Parrott

Dale Parrott

This was my second attempt with a six ring. The first ended tragically with a sever case of CA glue disease. The pen was made from northern Indiana mystery wood with a Padauk knot. I was happy with my workmanship but not so happy with the pen. I saw this knot in the wood before I started and really thought it would be turned away since I started with a full inch blank. After all the work (and time) in making the knot I had to finish it no matter what. :mad: Lesson learned.

Attachments

• six ring Celtic Knot 1.jpg
    six ring Celtic Knot 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 861
  • six ring Celtic Knot 2.jpg
    six ring Celtic Knot 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 862
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert111

Well done! And I agree with the others--a plain piece of wood would make a better palate for your knot. How about a piece of Bethlehem olive wood that doesn't have a lot of grain?

Last edited:

Dale Parrott

Thanks for your kind words. I guess I just wanted the pen to look the same all the way around and the knot spoiled that for me. I learn from the experts on this forum and read sometime back the thread about what to do with your "seconds". I considered this pen a "second" because I wasn't happy with it. Sounds to me like beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that's who should receive this pen. I will find it a home and make me a new one.
Thanks again for your input.
Dale

plantman

:RockOn: Dale ; Very nice craftsmanship on the knot !! I would keep this pen to remind you of what not to do next time. My C&C. I personaly think these knots looks much better on a single barrel pen. It gives the pen more ballance. Second, I always add a black strip to one side of the filler material to give the knot a shadow line and a little depth. Just my way of doing it. Jim S

Dale Parrott

Thank you for your suggestions.

Thanks Jim S. for the comments, I will consider both. As of yet I have not turned any one piece pens, it's on the list. I will be trying a double or triple layer in my knots also but just haven't advanced that far yet. I've only been actively turning since March and still have a lot to learn and try. Both will have to wait because I've shut my shop down due to the cold. I have neither heat or insulation out there in the Garage, I'd like to do something about that next spring. I have a large garage and would have room for an enclosed shop, truck, and car. It was never an issue until I retired.:redface:

Dale Allen

I think it looks good Dale.
Put it away for a week or two and then look it it again.
You my see it differently and like it more.
I'm scratching my head here, trying to figure out the 6-ring thing.
Did you turn the blank round first and then set up a fixture? I understand getting 8 by knocking of the corners of a square blank...but 6? Whanna help me out here?

Dale Parrott

Thanks for your input Dale.
I followed the instructions in the library for the most part. The main difference was I marked my blank with my indexer on the lathe instead of the small paper circle, much easier if you have that option. I used the 30 minute epoxy, let it set up for an hour and then saw the next slot. Drilled the blank on the lathe. I also used my bandsaw sled for the cutting and small clamps to hold the blank in place. I'd love to see yours when it's finished.
http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/6-strand-celtic-knot.pdf

Dale Allen

Dale. I reviewed the link and understand now. I guess I was trying to over think it.
I have a small vase to make that I my try this with. Thanks for the help.

Mortalis

The wood (and the knot) look very similar to Cherry that I received from my father who happened to live in Fort Wayne (North East Indiana).
I love knots in pens, I think they give soo much character.

Attachments

• Cherry Pen_Pencil Set.jpg
    Cherry Pen_Pencil Set.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 185
Top Bottom