Sign in and information thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Evidentily I did, however do you see the time at which it was posted? Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Please do NOt put email addresses in the Rules Review threads. We are posting the rules for review not for entries at this point. We provide a contest entry form for each contest. This entry form lets us track who wins what and how to send their prizes to them. The exceptions will be Trivia and possibly Puzzles.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Your contests are posted for review in the activities manager forum. Please check your contests for questions. You can follow the thread by using Thread tools if you want notifications when someone asks a question.

bobleibo

Mike
- what are the dates we are working with for our contests?
- when will we be given editing authority for our individual contests?
- will we get a dry run working copy of the entry forms prior to the opening?
Thanks

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Contests start on February 1st, They should wrap up no later than the 20th. YOu will need time to run the voting polls. We will do like last year. Your final draft of your contests will be used in your own personal sub forum. You will be able to edit that forum. There is no easy way to allow you to edit your own contest rules without creating a seperate forum for each contest.
We are trying to contact Curtis. Usually he provides the entry form and you can try them.
If they entries are not ready exactly by the first of Feb. it wont make a big difference. They will be able to submit their entries within a couple of days.

Mike

bobleibo

Contests start on February 1st, They should wrap up no later than the 20th. YOu will need time to run the voting polls. We will do like last year. Your final draft of your contests will be used in your own personal sub forum. You will be able to edit that forum. There is no easy way to allow you to edit your own contest rules without creating a seperate forum for each contest.
We are trying to contact Curtis. Usually he provides the entry form and you can try them.
If they entries are not ready exactly by the first of Feb. it wont make a big difference. They will be able to submit their entries within a couple of days.

Mike

For the most part, my thread is ready to go, just waiting to plug in the start/stop dates and a few minor tweaks and move it to the public area. When can we do that?
I'd like to do it at least 2 weeks ahead of the contest start date to give folks time to start making their pens.
I was going to go low profile this year but got riled up by some guy who's already poking at me about how his contest is going to kick my a$$. You'd think after all these years of trying, he'd have learned by now..

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Except for a few like the puzzle or Trivia contests the contest Rules for the rest of the contests are already published in the Activities Manger forum which is viewable from the front page. Some of them already have questions that need answered.

Brian G

Mike,

I think you posted my first draft instead of my edited version. In the edited version, I removed the email address for submitting entries after finding out that we will be using a form.

If you want to make the correction, please do so. Otherwise, I can post a clarification tonight.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you have any changes I will have to do it for you. Its not possible to have you moderate those threads the way the forums are set up until we set up a separate sub forum for each of the contests.

I will make the changes in the rules review threads and in your original posts as needed.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you have not picked an ending date you need to do so now. I will add it to your contests.
Starting dates are Feb. 1st but you can run it either 2 weeks or 3. If you are running the more complicated pen making contests you may want to use 3 weeks. Most of the members are working. or live in cold climates where shop time can be at a minimum.
Sunday the 19th or Monday the 20th at midnight would be good. That Monday is a Holiday.
You will need to post all the pictures from the entries on the Iap website and upload them. You need to become familiar with posting the pictures in the thread rather than as thumbnails.
Here is a link to a video by Jeff on how its done its not hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugAaQQVvi5w
Here is the link to his page where other instructional videos are linked http://www.penturners.org/forum/f63/using-forums-video-tips-92236/

Last edited:

CREID

What time on the 20th and Eastern, Central or ?

Pacific time, all you other peoples time zones don't count in the real world. Just presidential elections and other inconsequential stuff. Wow, that was a big word, and spell check says I got it right the first time.

stonepecker

<table width="100%" align="center" class="tborder" id="post1829223" border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="5"><tbody><tr vAlign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_1829223" style="border-right-color: rgb(174, 204, 210); border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid;">2017 BASH -13 and under youth contest

Welcome back to the Youth Pen Making Contest just for the younger turners of the IAP.

This contest is to let our youngest members and turners, as well as our adult members children compete in the Bash Pen making competitions, competing only within their own age groups.

This contest is for those Under 13 years of age Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Bash, Febuary 1st.

In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

1-Only Ball Point Pens are allowed. NO roller balls or Fountain pens will be accepted.

2-No laser work or CNC produced pens or parts are allowed.

3-It must be made from a commercially available kit. There will be no modifications to the kits allowed. ALL PIECES of the kits MUST BE USED !!!

4-Adults may assist in the turning of the pen but the entrants must have "hands on" in the making of the pen. You are the best judge of your childs abilities to use power tools. Keep it safe!

5-A short description of the pen and the actual work done by the child needs to be submitted with the pen.

6-The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 1st deadline.

7-Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted. There will be an entry form to submit your pen.

8-The contest will start on February First and entries will be due no later than Sunday the 12th at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions, we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.

Submissions:

9-All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 12th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen....Use this form......... http://iapbash.org/12/youth-pen-contest
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE PEN UNDER YOUR PARENTS/GRANDPARENTS/ADULT USER NAME.

10-If you"re old enough to be a member you may use your own member name.
The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb.13th, and voting will end on Feb. 20th the final polls if needed will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

11-All entries will be posted at the same time following the contests deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

Prizes:
All prizes are furnished but the Minnesota Chapter of the IAP and Friends

1st place ---blanks / goodies Value +$50.00 & Gc- #6 Tbroye $25.00
2nd place---blanks / goodies Value +$40.00 & GC-3 Mutt blanks $25.00
3rd place---blanks / goodies Value +30.00 & Packet 9 Bear Tooth woods $20.00

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

Please take the time to teach your child the safety rules for working with the tools we use. Have fun and show us your Beautiful pens!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO DONATED TO THIS CONTEST.
<!-- / edit note -->
</td></tr><tr><td class="alt1" vAlign="bottom">

</td></tr><tr><td class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: none solid solid; border-color: currentColor rgb(174, 204, 210) rgb(174, 204, 210);">
user_online.gif
</td><td align="right" class="alt1" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: currentColor rgb(174, 204, 210) rgb(174, 204, 210) currentColor;"><!-- controls -->
progress.gif
edit.gif
<!-- / controls --> </td></tr></tbody></table><!-- post 1829223 popup menu -->
<table border="0" cellSpacing="1" cellPadding="4"><tbody><tr><td class="thead"></td></tr><tr><td class="vbmenu_option"></td></tr><tr><td class="vbmenu_option"></td></tr><tr><td class="vbmenu_option"></td></tr><tr><td class="vbmenu_option"></td></tr><tr><td class="vbmenu_option"></td></tr></tbody></table>
<!-- / post 1829223 popup menu --> <!-- / close content container --> <!-- / post #1829223 --> <!-- post #1830325 --> <!-- open content container -->

<!-- this is not the last post shown on the page --> <table width="100%" align="center" class="tborder" id="post1830325" border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="5"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: rgb(174, 204, 210) currentColor rgb(174, 204, 210) rgb(174, 204, 210); font-weight: normal;"><!-- status icon and date --> <!-- / status icon and date --> </td><td align="right" class="thead" style="border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: rgb(174, 204, 210) rgb(174, 204, 210) rgb(174, 204, 210) currentColor; font-weight: normal;"> </td></tr><tr vAlign="top"><td width="175" class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px; border-style: none solid; border-color: currentColor rgb(174, 204, 210);" rowSpan="2"> <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1830325", true); </script>

</td></tr></tbody></table>​

Last edited:

Mr Vic

Mike,

I'll close the Freestyle Casting Contest at Midnight International Date Line Time Feb 20th. That's -12 Greenwich time or 4:00am the 21st Curt's time.

Thanks, Vic

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have upgraded the ending dates for those of you that have posted them. I have also added the link for the Advanced Pen contest Lou.

Mike

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I did not upgrade the contest threads in the Activities Manager Forum I did it in your contest threads in the planning forum.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
All CHairmen,
You Must upload all pictures of the entries to your contests to IAP. Do not host them offsite with links. We have contests that the entries are no longer showing because of this.
If you are unsure of how to put the photos in the thread for viewing Jeff has a video showing the process. It is quite easy and once you get the steps down it doesnt take that long.
Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEjSoirG9Y

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe url will work if you use the link symbol.
It looks like part of the problem was that the entry information including the pictures were on another server that Jeff just discontinued using. He is trying to recover the information.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It appears that what happened is that using the url provided in the entry form caused the issue because the server the information was stored on is no longer used by us. That caused all the linked pictures to be unavailable.

Brian G

Thanks, but I think that's a good answer to a different problem. :biggrin:

We're not going to be uploading images, because the official form utilizes a link to a server. All we would be doing is using the image tag in the posting of the pictures.

Jeff's tutorial in the video wouldn't apply, because it shows how to upload an image stored on a personal hard drive.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have not heard from Curtis this year and are not sure that we will.
Jeff will set up an Email account under each contest@IAP and it will be forwarded to your individual emails if you are the Chairman.
I require each of you to send me your email address(es) you want the contest entries forwarded to.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Forums have been created and you will be able to moderate your contest forum.
I have email addresses that I will put into the contests for each contest. They will forward to your email addresses you have provided me. I will be copying and pasting your contest rules into the new forums. Check to make sure they are correct and make corrections as needed.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Im literally coping from the threads in the planning section or from the discussion threads and pasting it into the Contest forum for that contest. You should be able to go in and start making corrections.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
All Pictures linked in the planning forums will have to be replaced when the forums go Public tomorrow. They will show up as little red X s if you dont.
Im modifying some of the language in the contests since we are using emails for the entry form. I have put your contest email in the form as it must be used.
We need real neames, addresses and member Id, user names in the entry when its emailed in. This will allow us to keep a record of the entries and I will be able to access the winners information for prize allocations.

Brian G

Im literally coping from the threads in the planning section or from the discussion threads and pasting it into the Contest forum for that contest. You should be able to go in and start making corrections.

Another way is to reply to the post and you can cut and paste the UBB code, and insert your edits that way.

Top Bottom