Pen in the Hat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stolicky

Originally posted by ScribbleSticks

Me too!! I would prefer someone from 'across the pond'.

Since this is my first pen exchange, I don't don't if I can say I would prefer, but I would certainly not mind making an international exchange. Thanks again for putting this together.

Darley

Originally posted by Ozzy

Hey,
When I jumped in I forgot to mention that I am fine with being paired up with someone overseas; as a matter a fact I think that that might be fun.

Well didn't know we can choose our partner[:0] I though our name will be draw and matched from 2 different hat, are rule have changed?

bobaltig

You are exactly correct. Part of the fun is not knowing who you will be paired with and where they are. Why don't we just leave it up to the people who organized this thing and are spending their time operating it so we can have some fun. You see, in this way, I could stop getting my in box flooded with posts about preferences regarding delivery locations. For the record, I'll send my pen to anybody located anywhere at anytime and eagerly await their pen's arrival.

With that said, I definitely would prefer not to be paired with anyone whose location would require the use of the Space Shuttle for delivery. However, because of where I work, I know several former Astronauts and could probably arrange for that to happen if necessary.

Bob :)

Originally posted by Darley

Hey,
When I jumped in I forgot to mention that I am fine with being paired up with someone overseas; as a matter a fact I think that that might be fun.

Well didn't know we can choose our partner[:0] I though our name will be draw and matched from 2 different hat, are rule have changed?

LanceD

All of the pairings will be randomly pulled just as it's been done in the past, just as Serge stated. At near 150 participants and surely more to come it wouldn't be too easy if after I pulled a name had to find that persons post to see where thet're from, and then go back through the posts again to see who wanted to be paired with someone overseas.

We all want this pen exchange to be a lot of fun but I also don't want to have to spend an entire day pairing up all of the participants.

ilikewood

I was in the first two "Pen in the Hat" drawings on this forum and if you had a problem sending to someone, it was changed for you. I hope this forum hasn't gotten too big to have a common courtesy to help people out if they don't feel they can afford to send a package overseas.

I handled the daily questions for our first Anniversary Bash...every day....lots of people. Mistakes were made, but with a little bit of effort, sorting people is not hard...just takes time.

bobaltig

Okay, enough is enough. This isn't fun anymore. I guess the only way to keep my inbox from being flooded with suggestions on how to operate the exchange is to unsubscribe from the forum. Bye.

I'd still like to participate, I'm just not interested in reading how the exchange should be run by a bunch of people who didn't set it up and haven't volunteered to help those who did. They only seem interested in telling those people how to do it. I'll just check out the posts in the forum after June 30 to see if I've been paired with someone. Thanks.

Bob

Originally posted by ilikewood

I was in the first two "Pen in the Hat" drawings on this forum and if you had a problem sending to someone, it was changed for you. I hope this forum hasn't gotten too big to have a common courtesy to help people out if they don't feel they can afford to send a package overseas.

I handled the daily questions for our first Anniversary Bash...every day....lots of people. Mistakes were made, but with a little bit of effort, sorting people is not hard...just takes time.

LanceD

If shipping a pen internationally is a burden on someone then an email explaining your situation would be appreciated and then making a change would be in order. I don't want anyone not wanting to participate because they're afraid of drawing someone from overseas and can't afford the shipping.

ilikewood

You have been on this forum for a long time, as I have Bob, and should know that I have volunteered for many, many things. If Lance needs help, I would be more than willing to help if he needs it. If you have a problem with my lack of money, than I feel real sorry for you. There are many on this forum that know me well...I don't feel the need to have to justify why I don't have very much money.

This is supposed to be for fun, not to take shots at the guy who is lacking in funds.

Elliott

With that said, I definitely would prefer not to be paired with anyone whose location would require the use of the Space Shuttle for delivery. However, because of where I work, I know several former Astronauts and could probably arrange for that to happen if necessary.

I would gladly volunteer to send the first wood turned pen into space. Sign me up. Or maybe a pencil would be better in 0 Gs.
(I just can't afford the gas to run the shuttle, maybe NASA can help - to that end I can't afford the gas to run my car )[:p] )

sbell111

No problem, the shuttle doesn't run on gas.

BTW, go ahead and sign me up, even though my turning skills are way less than most.

Ozzy

Originally posted by bobaltig

You are exactly correct. Part of the fun is not knowing who you will be paired with and where they are. Why don't we just leave it up to the people who organized this thing and are spending their time operating it so we can have some fun. You see, in this way, I could stop getting my in box flooded with posts about preferences regarding delivery locations. For the record, I'll send my pen to anybody located anywhere at anytime and eagerly await their pen's arrival.

WHOA!!! I was NOT trying to pick who I got paired up with nor was I trying to change the rules of the game. I know it is random but someone had said that they did not want to be paired up with someone overseas because things are tight for them right now, I was just making clear that I am good with whoever I get.

Lance,
I am very sorry that my comment was taken out of context, I did not mean to cause any problems or to ruffle anyone's feathers. This is a good thing that you are doing and I just want to be a part of it.
Again, I am very sorry for the disruption that I caused.

I will not be responding to any of the comments, that I am sure will follow this post, I am just clarifying the meaning of my earlier post and apologizing to Lance. So, in the infamous words of Forest Gump; "That's all I got to say about that."

LanceD

Originally posted by bobaltig

WHOA!!! I was NOT trying to pick who I got paired up with nor was I trying to change the rules of the game. I know it is random but someone had said that they did not want to be paired up with someone overseas because things are tight for them right now, I was just making clear that I am good with whoever I get.

Lance,
I am very sorry that my comment was taken out of context, I did not mean to cause any problems or to ruffle anyone's feathers. This is a good thing that you are doing and I just want to be a part of it.
Again, I am very sorry for the disruption that I caused.

I will not be responding to any of the comments, that I am sure will follow this post, I am just clarifying the meaning of my earlier post and apologizing to Lance. So, in the infamous words of Forest Gump; "That's all I got to say about that."

No offense taken and no need for apologies. I'm just trying to run this as easily as possible. I have no problem with anyone PM ing me to let me know they may be having a problem shipping anywhere other than the US. Once the pairings are made and if someone has an issue with it we'll see what we can do to make everyone happy and satisfied :).

ilikewood

I appreciate that Lance for working with the some of us very low on funds.

BTW, I won't go into details, but it had to do with a major surgury/injury for myself and the loss of my son in March. If I had any advice to give to people, it would be to have life insurance on your children....it seems bad because kids are not supposed to go before their parents, but it can be financially devestating.

bobaltig

Bill:

First of all I never asked anybody to justify anything. That's not the purpose of this forum. And I feel it would be highly improper to ask anyone to justify their financial condition. I have never made any comment about anyone's financial status one way or the other in this forum or any other forum that I can recall. So please don't put words in my mouth. I'm 64 years old, am a college graduate, and can speak for myself.

You're not the only person on this forum that is experiencing hard times. I'm naturally very sorry about your son. I well remember when my wife and I were told our 9 year old daughter had a 10% chance of surviving her cancer. Fortunately for us, after I insisted on a third opinion, we learned she didn't have cancer at all. But I well remember those horrible 3 months when we thought we were going to lose her. My heart goes out to you.

I also had surgery in March - March 12 to be exact. I had two hernias repaired using the open method and promptly got a staph infection. The incision still isn't healed and has to be packed and dressed everyday. I'm in pain everyday and eat Vicodin like they are candy. I spend over $100 a week just in special materials to have my wife change my dressing. I'm probably looking at continuing on with this treatment plan for at least another two months.

I also think most folks are having a hard time financially right now. Maybe not as severe as you are, I wouldn't know about that, nor do I think it's any of my business. I know I don't like paying nearly $100 a week for fuel just so I can go to work. I live in Calif. and drive a diesel powered car. Diesel is selling for $5.99 a gallon in my area. I'm tired of my wife spending $200 at the grocery store each week and us running out of food by Friday of that same week. There's just the two of us here now.

I have no idea what charges are to ship something overseas, but I think it would be a small price to pay to receive a beautiful pen custom made just for me and one I didn't have to make myself. And if that means I have to go without a meal or two, I'll survive and gladly do it.

You and anybody else are perfectly willing to disagree with my opinions priorities. And I certainly respect your right to hold your own opinion, but I ask that you show me the very same courtesy and not try put me on some kind of guilt trip for disagreeing with you. My comments on this topic are over. Finis. It's time to see if I can stand at the lathe for more than 10 minutes. The day that happens, I'll know I'm getting better.

Bob

Originally posted by ilikewood

You have been on this forum for a long time, as I have Bob, and should know that I have volunteered for many, many things. If Lance needs help, I would be more than willing to help if he needs it. If you have a problem with my lack of money, than I feel real sorry for you. There are many on this forum that know me well...I don't feel the need to have to justify why I don't have very much money.

This is supposed to be for fun, not to take shots at the guy who is lacking in funds.

ilikewood

Bob,

I understand and feel for you in your time of pain. I had back surgery in April and also had some problems in the healing dept. I am also glad that your daughter was able to recover. I also understand I am not the only one here experiencing hard times...financial and personal.

BUT, making a simple request to help those who are a little more hard up is not unreasonable. You have your opinion and are welcome to it.

You said, "I'm just not interested in reading how the exchange should be run by a bunch of people who didn't set it up and haven't volunteered to help those who did. They only seem interested in telling those people how to do it".

I believe it is you who needs to me be a little more courteous as that comment was directed at me (you included my post in your post)....for asking for a little help. I wasn't the one who started throwing stones here. I haven't had a problem with anybody here before and didn't really appreciate the personal attack.

I too will end this and not comment anymore.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
OK, everyone has promised not to comment anymore on the controversy. Please keep your word. It is hard enough to go through every post without trying to decide if someone is signing up for the exchange or not.

Posts like "count me in" or "add me to the list" are most appreciated. [8D]

airrat

Well I know I put my name in about page 3 or so. But I heard somewhere that Cav was feeling frisky and needed something to do so I thought I could give him another post to proof read. :D

Boomer

Lance
Please put my name in the hat to participate in the exchange with another turner. I am a very new turner but I will do the best I can to make a quality pen for the exchange. Thanks

bitshird

Lance put me in for another as well, with my new lathe I've got to get practice some how, so I'll be down for two.

Oops, I meant to reply and accidentally edited. Sorry!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by bitshird

Lance put me in for another as well, with my new lathe I've got to get practice some how, so I'll be down for two.

<center>
WOW
</center>

If you're real lucky, you can exchange with YOU, that way YOU know YOU can satisfy YOU and YOU will get just what YOU want!!!

<center>GREAT PLAN???</center>
<center>:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D</center>

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies

Originally posted by bitshird

<center>
WOW
</center>

If you're real lucky, you can exchange with YOU, that way YOU know YOU can satisfy YOU and YOU will get just what YOU want!!!

<center>GREAT PLAN???</center>
<center>:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D</center>
And if your lucky you will draw the Princess and then you tell her exactly what to do - or not.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I tell her what to do all the time.

Later, she asks what I said!!!

Later still she ignores both.

Finally, should I REPEAT, she tells me pretty much WHERE I can stick my suggestion.

But, I feel good, knowing I helped input.

bitshird

Originally posted by ed4copies

I tell her what to do all the time.

Later, she asks what I said!!!

Later still she ignores both.

Finally, should I REPEAT, she tells me pretty much WHERE I can stick my suggestion.

But, I feel good, knowing I helped input.
Since I'm sending you some trustone ivory, would you like me to include a jar of grease, (not intended for the trustone)[:eek:)]

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I would mind coming out of hibernation for this one. Please make sure I don't get stuck with Johnnie Jarheaded, I'll wind up getting one of my own pens sent back to me.[}:)]:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom