My First Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Racer3770

Racer3770

First things first: A huge shout out to MRedburn! I messaged him with several questions and he was incredibly helpful. Thanks again!

This is my first attempt at a kitless pen. I made the blank using alumilite and pearl ex powders. The nib is a #6 Jowo stub from Meisternibs. I used a 9MM X 0.75 die for the section/body threads. I used a 12MM X 0.75 for the body/cap threads. I didn't have all the exact drill bits so I used the next closest thing I had.

I'm not exactly happy with the way my first attempt turned out. It is more aesthetic than functional. The section feels a little weak and it isn't completely round. One of the biggest struggles I had was finding something to hold the parts while I turned them. I have since purchased a few really nice custom kitless mandrels from Rherrell.
The proportions of the pen also feel off. The cap is much larger than I feel like it should be. It needed to be this long though to accommodate the nib and section.
I used George Butcher's tutorial found in the library called "Making a Fountain Pen Section" as a guide to make the section. The front section was BY FAR the hardest part of the pen. It seems like I made it too long and it threw off the dimensions of the rest of the pen. It's a work in progress I guess!

Comments and criticism are always welcome. Let me know what you think and ideas to improve. I enjoy the challenge and I look forward to making many more of these.

Attachments

• dsc_1081.jpg
    dsc_1081.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 371
  • dsc_1084.jpg
    dsc_1084.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 419
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Congratulations, James for Diving in at the Deep End, and thanks, for acknowledging the Assistance received from Various members.
Yes, the Section is a little on the Long side, But is still Functional, and Aesthetically Good.
Your Profile is Excellent, and I don't mind the length of the Cap, it is still Proportional.
Excellent Choice of Blank, and the Machining looks Good.
A Fantastic First.
Well Done,
Brian.

Pierre---

Congrats for your first kitless!
I agree with you and would say the section is too long. Especially with Jowo, you can make much shorter ones: where the inside threads ends, add 2 mm and start the tenon for the barrel.
Another thing is that you reduce diameter at every junction. Consider making it bigger.
Hope it helps!

rhall_8

I have a 4 jaw chuck on my lathe and I am able to kitless pens alright with just that. A lot of people use collet chucks for the section, which seems helpful, but not essential. A good 4 jaw chuck will go a long way I think (but that's all I have so I can't comment on better options!)

Pierre---

The thinner part of your section is where it meets the barrel (or at least it is thinner there that in the middle of the section). The cap is also thinner where it meets the barrel. It gives a sensation of visual fragility because one would expect to have strength there, i.e. thick diameter.
I do not say it is a poor design in itself, it even could be interesting if you want to give a sensation of elegance and delicacy, but you may consider doing otherwise: fragility and delicacy are not so distant...
Hope I am clearer.

Racer3770

The thinner part of your section is where it meets the barrel (or at least it is thinner there that in the middle of the section). The cap is also thinner where it meets the barrel. It gives a sensation of visual fragility because one would expect to have strength there, i.e. thick diameter.
I do not say it is a poor design in itself, it even could be interesting if you want to give a sensation of elegance and delicacy, but you may consider doing otherwise: fragility and delicacy are not so distant...
Hope I am clearer.

Oh I see. You are definitely correct. The section does feel pretty weak when I write with it. I stopped because I was afraid it would break. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Solid advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jcgolov

First things first: A huge shout out to MRedburn! I messaged him with several questions and he was incredibly helpful. Thanks again!

This is my first attempt at a kitless pen. I made the blank using alumilite and pearl ex powders. The nib is a #6 Jowo stub from Meisternibs. I used a 9MM X 0.75 die for the section/body threads. I used a 12MM X 0.75 for the body/cap threads. I didn't have all the exact drill bits so I used the next closest thing I had.

I'm not exactly happy with the way my first attempt turned out. It is more aesthetic than functional. The section feels a little weak and it isn't completely round. One of the biggest struggles I had was finding something to hold the parts while I turned them. I have since purchased a few really nice custom kitless mandrels from Rherrell.
The proportions of the pen also feel off. The cap is much larger than I feel like it should be. It needed to be this long though to accommodate the nib and section.
I used George Butcher's tutorial found in the library called "Making a Fountain Pen Section" as a guide to make the section. The front section was BY FAR the hardest part of the pen. It seems like I made it too long and it threw off the dimensions of the rest of the pen. It's a work in progress I guess!

Comments and criticism are always welcome. Let me know what you think and ideas to improve. I enjoy the challenge and I look forward to making many more of these.

That is amazing because I just made my real first one too today and you responded to it! I think your lines are classy. I would have been pleased to have made one of those... :)

Top Bottom