Looking to boost the economy!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wadesworld

So I am going to buy a new lathe in a week or so after I do my research. I am very tired moving belts on my Rikon. Although I have been granted the blessing of spending 2k on a lathe, Laguna Tools 18-47, I find it difficult to do so in this economy.

What I have decided to get is the Delta Midi 46-460 based on the numerous testimonies and my needs. I would like to get a bigger lathe as one day I might outgrow a midi but I have decided to keep some $$$ in the bank. However I have run across an older Delta 46-755X and besides a couple Amazon reviews not much out there. Here is what I am looking at. Although I think it is overpriced if negotiated to the right price would you choose this over the new midi lathe.

Delta Wood Lathe

Thank you for your input as I am fairly new.

Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wadesworld

Some mixed reviews on the Delta online.
But the important thing is that it's upside down!

Maybe it will give me a new perspective on turning. At this point everything may as well be upside down.

It was hit or miss on the internet but not much input at all. Was hoping someone may have used one as some point. It has a five year warranty so that is a little assuring.

PenMan1

As a past and present owner of several mini/midi lathes, the Delta 46-460 is the best lathe I've owned. Twice the horsepower of most, forward and reverse, standards such as 1 x8 headscrew and MT2.

On top of everything else, it has the best warranty in the industry. One of the MOST frustrating things about off label lathes is that breaking one small piece can make it useless if parts are not available. This is not an issue with Delta.

wadesworld

On top of everything else, it has the best warranty in the industry. One of the MOST frustrating things about off label lathes is that breaking one small piece can make it useless if parts are not available. This is not an issue with Delta.

Thank you Andy. Do you find this to be true on most Delta products? Did you see the model number 46-755x that I linked a reference? Have you had any experience with that lathe? There is a used one locally that may fill my need of a lathe in the future. Still leaning towards the midi but this may be a good buy. Thank you

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
If you are happy with your Rikon and it is just the belt change that bothers you, have you looked into the variable speed conversion kit they offer? It works great and I use it all the time.

wadesworld

My goal really was to buy a bigger lathe and to be quite honest I was excited to buy something new or new to me. I did think about buying the vs kit for the Rikon but I was reluctant to spend the money on something I didn't love. I was hoping the Delta that I posted a link to would have fit the bill of bigger with the Delta accuracy. It seems that the Delta 46-755x was not highly regarded so I started looking at plan B with the new midi.

Thank you for trying to save me some money.

Eric

wadesworld

Just thought I would take a moment and update this post. I decided to buy the Delta lathe. I have had it for a couple weeks now and it is awesome. I questioned my decision for a moment but after using the Delta, no knock on my Rikon, there is no comparison. It is amazing how much easier it is to turn projects. Thank you for the comments and support.

Top Bottom