Kitless Fountain pens from South Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tiaan Burger

Tiaan Burger

IntroComplete.jpg 45306508_2073419612705662_7307832381073784832_o.jpg 45442022_2073421076038849_5371915570784501760_o.jpg

About seven years ago my best friend came to me and said he wants to make luxury pens. I told him I have no idea how to go about doing it.
About three years ago I made a number of oblique pen holders, but sales petered out and I lost interest.
In September I decided to have a go at making a ball point pen to take a Parker refill. The first looked good, except the cap did not stay put. I looked at pen kits, but decided against using them. My next attempt was a bit better, and then I started doing serious research. Much of what I now know came from this forum.
By the first week of October I had made a Japanese style threading tool to cut double start threads and I called my friend: "Remember when you asked if it was possible to make luxury pens? How would you like to go into business with me, making pens?"
I make the pens, he does the photography, graphic design, and is doing the urushi lacquering on some of our products.

We had to overcome some obstacles: There is no local supply of nibs, feeds or nib units, so I had to quickly learn how to make titanium nibs, how a feed works, and then how to make a feed that works. By the fifth attempt at making feeds I solved all the issues.
I can now make fine, medium and broad nibs in stub or flexible.
Materials is still a problem, so our first lot is made of an industrial polymer, and I am also working through my limited supply of acrylace, dymondwood and suitable hardwoods. I found a supplier of ebonite, the first lot should arrive in a week or two.

Thank you for looking, questions and comments welcome!

Tiaan Burger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Baie mooi werk van Gauteng. :cool:

Do you guys know Terry Finney? He hasn't been here for a while, but if you know him, please pass on my regards.

Tiaan Burger

Thank you all for the positive feedback!

Nice work. Way beyond what most even dream of. If you are ever inclined I'd like to see pictures of how you make the nibs and feeds.

I looked at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xkOETcaVSk&index=28&list=PLiIZr8XyIsO51jZKNuhwIyzvjtT-XPhha&t=0s and basically followed along.
Two things I do not do though: I do not solder on a tip, and I don't forge the nib blank to thickness. I adapted some steps according to my available tools.
A large vocabulary of curses is also handy.

TonyL

View attachment 181662 View attachment 181663 View attachment 181664

About seven years ago my best friend came to me and said he wants to make luxury pens. I told him I have no idea how to go about doing it.
About three years ago I made a number of oblique pen holders, but sales petered out and I lost interest.
In September I decided to have a go at making a ball point pen to take a Parker refill. The first looked good, except the cap did not stay put. I looked at pen kits, but decided against using them. My next attempt was a bit better, and then I started doing serious research. Much of what I now know came from this forum.
By the first week of October I had made a Japanese style threading tool to cut double start threads and I called my friend: "Remember when you asked if it was possible to make luxury pens? How would you like to go into business with me, making pens?"
I make the pens, he does the photography, graphic design, and is doing the urushi lacquering on some of our products.

We had to overcome some obstacles: There is no local supply of nibs, feeds or nib units, so I had to quickly learn how to make titanium nibs, how a feed works, and then how to make a feed that works. By the fifth attempt at making feeds I solved all the issues.
Materials is still a problem, so our first lot is made of an industrial polymer, and I am also working through my limited supply of acrylace, dymondwood and suitable hardwoods. I found a supplier of ebonite, the first lot should arrive in a week or two.

Tiaan Burger
Outstanding workmanship and beauty. Are these made on a wood lathe?

krAiki

View attachment 181662 View attachment 181663 View attachment 181664

Tiaan Burger

Well-done Tiaan, gaan groot of gaan huistoe!

Top Bottom