Keyring Fob Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MRDucks2

MRDucks2

Wife is falling in love with casting resin. One of the items she is getting requests for are keyring fobs (the dangly part) made from resin. She is trying to decide the beat way to attach. Screwing with n an eyelet, even with a predrilled hole is proving difficult at the eyelet shank in not very strong. We could oversized the hole and glue it in, we have also seen use of round and triangle jump rings. On other media.

What has worked best for you? What is your experience. Looking at the durable plus small need. Thanks!

Dehn0045

Pendant trays are an option. They make them with both solid backs and open backs. Not sure what kind of casting she likes or is trying to do. I personally wouldn't trust the little eye screws that they sell for earring, maybe slightly larger, but I'd worry they would unscrew on a keychain (maybe glue in place). Could incorporate the chain into the resin. Or drill a hole in the finished piece and use a jump ring. Here are a few that I made recently with circuit boards and epoxy with solid back trays (got the idea from the crafsman youtube channel):

PSX_20200720_091119.jpg

MRDucks2

Thanks for the reply, Sam. Had not considered trying to embed the end of the chain. She is trying to embed a jump ring as we speak. I have a test model in my pocket with a glued in screw eye. Will keep you posted.

Your pendants are cool looking. Question: do you typically sell the pendants by themselves or with chain, etc.?

Dehn0045

I don't really sell much of anything, but I plan to gift them with a keyring that has a short chain. I got the pendant trays off of Amazon, the same manufacturer makes the keyrings and necklace chains for the pendants - everything is like $0.25 to $0.50 each (40 trays are like $10, same for keyrings, necklace chains are a little more) - not the highest quality but comparable to something you'd buy in a gift shop at a tourist spot.

Top Bottom