First peppermill?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sbwertz

sbwertz

I want to make a peppermill for my DIL. Any suggestions for which kit to use? I am a relative beginner (been turning a year, now) and am comfortable drilling on the lathe. I just don't know what the differences are among the various mechanisims and designs.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Sharon:
The mechanisms that Exotic Blanks sell are German made, are a good quality, and the shaft can be cut to make a mill anywhere from 4 inches all the way up to 10 inches from the same parts.

These grinders are much better quality that the ones I bought "someplace else".

PenMan1

I really like this "adjustable" set because you fit the mechanism EXACTLY to your blank, You do NOT have to make the mill conform to the mechanism.

sbwertz

This is why this forum is absolutely invaluable. I would have just ordered something from PSI or CSUSA. Now I know. I'll order today

KenV

More tools Sharon -- you will need forstner bits

1 1/16 and 1 5/8 are normal sizes at the bottom with 1 inch for the barrel size being common.

Carbide is good as are the colt brand bits --

There are some neat design opportunities for the shape -- I look forward to seeing you end product.

witz1976

Sharon:
The mechanisms that Exotic Blanks sell are German made, are a good quality, and the shaft can be cut to make a mill anywhere from 4 inches all the way up to 10 inches from the same parts.

These grinders are much better quality that the ones I bought "someplace else".

Andy I am 99% certain that the mechanisms are USA made...not German.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That is correct, sorry Andy, they are made in Pennsylvania, by Chef Specialties. I have a letter from their president confirming actual manufacturing, not just labeling parts.

Now, our refills.................................are made by Schmidt, in Germany!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sharon,

If you have not already done so, request my tutorial via email---PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.:biggrin::biggrin:

Several tips that make peppermills a little more manageable!!

Good turning!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and endless drilling:mad::mad::mad:

PenMan1

Ed:
The adjustable set I got as a Christmas gift (they said it came from you) says right on the bottom: "Made in Germany"?

Maybe my set came from somewhere else?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andy and I have worked this out, privately---his wife is forgiven for getting ONE mechanism someplace else. But the one labeled "Germany" did not come from us.

Yes, I will still be speaking with "PenWife1" when Christmas comes, I suspect!!

Thanks to you both for your friendship!

broitblat

More tools Sharon -- you will need forstner bits

1 1/16 and 1 5/8 are normal sizes at the bottom with 1 inch for the barrel size being common.

Carbide is good as are the colt brand bits --

There are some neat design opportunities for the shape -- I look forward to seeing you end product.

If you don't already have it, you'll likely need an extension for your forstner bit (unless you make a fairly short or segmented pepper mill). In another thread you mention you already have forstner bits, bit if you don't have the 1 1/16 needed for the mill, I just bought a carbide bit from http://www.woodline.com/p-2289-1-116...stner-bit.aspx
and was very pleased with how it cut through about 9 1/2" of Myrtle (only used it once, so far).

Note: The components from Exotics and some of them from CSUSA use the 1 1/16 (and 1 5/8) holes, but if you get you kits from somewhere else, they might use different tooling.

I also look forward to seeing your results.

-Barry

juteck

I just saw Dick Sing demonstrate turning the 4" pepper mill which did not require the use of extensions for the Forstner bit. His comment when someone asked why make a small 4" mill -- 'how much pepper do you need before you need to refill with fresh pepper?'

I've made a 6" mill, and for home use, pepper lasts a long time. You can still get a nice shape on the 4" and 6", but longer ones allow you to play a little more with shapes, but you may need the Forstner bit extension. Shorter ones will get you started to see if you like making them.

Unless you know you're going to make a bunch of mills, I'd start with less expensive Forstners. Colt makes a good bit, and has a neat MT adaptor that fits in your tailstock instead of using a Jacobs chuck.

sbwertz

I just saw Dick Sing demonstrate turning the 4" pepper mill which did not require the use of extensions for the Forstner bit. His comment when someone asked why make a small 4" mill -- 'how much pepper do you need before you need to refill with fresh pepper?'

I've made a 6" mill, and for home use, pepper lasts a long time. You can still get a nice shape on the 4" and 6", but longer ones allow you to play a little more with shapes, but you may need the Forstner bit extension. Shorter ones will get you started to see if you like making them.

Unless you know you're going to make a bunch of mills, I'd start with less expensive Forstners. Colt makes a good bit, and has a neat MT adaptor that fits in your tailstock instead of using a Jacobs chuck.

I'm planning on 4 or 5 inches on my first one. She doesn't like the great big ones, and it is for a gift, so I'll make what she wants.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Consider that the top has to be gripped to turn the mill.

So, if the body is 4" (yes I use one that size every night, but it uses a handle, instead of turning the top), you will have a top that needs to be nearly half the size of the body---

CAN work out fine, just draw it out first and make sure you like the profile.

FWIW

juteck

bradbn4

Sharon,

If you have not already done so, request my tutorial via email---PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.:biggrin::biggrin:

Several tips that make peppermills a little more manageable!!

Good turning!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and endless drilling:mad::mad::mad:

I guess you only send out the instructions to folks that have a name starting with the letter "S". I will try to PM with e-mail again.

If my pepper mill kits arrive Friday I know what I will be doing this weekend.

Bradbn4-In Colorado

Top Bottom