Effects of bleach on wenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wmcullen

I placed wenge in bleach for different amounts of time to see how quickly it would lighten.
My results indicate I can get away with as little as 10 minutes for pretty good results.
1.jpg

Avg Color obtained using "Photoshop->Blur->Average" filter. Lightness determined using CIELab color space.
2.jpg

2.jpg

x-axis indicated minutes exposure. Results flattened out quickly; especially beyond 2 hours.
- Cullen

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 61
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDHals

I placed wenge in bleach for different amounts of time to see how quickly it would lighten.
My results indicate I can get away with as little as 10 minutes for pretty good results.
View attachment 357785
Avg Color obtained using "Photoshop->Blur->Average" filter. Lightness determined using CIELab color space.
View attachment 357791
View attachment 357774
x-axis indicated minutes exposure. Results flattened out quickly; especially beyond 2 hours.
- Cullen
Very interesting. I've been soaking mine 15-30 min and that's about all that's needed. Good to know. What type of bleach did you use for the test? I always use household (chlorine) bleach but I wonder if a different type would give different results.

carlmorrell

I sort of accidentally ran into the one -vs- two applications. I made one knife handle, with one bleaching, second from right. Then I made a set, and the bleaching came out blotchy, so I did a second application. Both were whatever the bleach recommended (10 minutes?). I found the double bleaching to be significantly lighter. The knives are held to the stand magnetically, and the stand is wenge with one or two coats of oil. The handles finished with General Finishes waterbased poly.
20210331_184134.jpg

sorcerertd

Thank you SO much for this. I have been meaning to do something like it. I was thinking of how I could color the next one just within the last few hours and I definitely want it lighter for dyeing. Personally, I think this should go into the IAP resources for reference.

Wmcullen

What type of bleach did you use for the test? I always use household (chlorine) bleach but I wonder if a different type would give different results.
Great question. I should have added this info. I used cheap dollar store bleach.
1.jpg

I'm fascinated with the effects of double treatment and will try that too.
I really appreciate the thoughts and comments.
- Cullen

MedWoodWorx

View attachment 357785
View attachment 357791
View attachment 357774
- Cullen
i love your scientific approach!!thanks for sharing.

Wmcullen

I might have asked already, but do you sand after bleaching or go straight to finishing?
In my experience bleaching is very rough on the wood making it "fuzzy" and a little bloated… so sanding is very necessary. My process (which I've only done 4 times so please chime in if there's a better approach) is to sand down to about 320 grit before bleaching; then afterwards hit it with 320 again and progress all the way to your final grit and finish. The pen does darken a bit depending on how much you sand off.

derekdd

In my experience bleaching is very rough on the wood making it "fuzzy" and a little bloated… so sanding is very necessary. My process (which I've only done 4 times so please chime in if there's a better approach) is to sand down to about 320 grit before bleaching; then afterwards hit it with 320 again and progress all the way to your final grit and finish. The pen does darken a bit depending on how much you sand off.
I figured bleaching would raise the grain a bit.

Good information, thanks.

Top Bottom