First Pen using GluBoost Fill and Finish System

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

The pen is a Southwest Twist style kit in the (discontinued?) Copper plating with Red Coral accents. The blank is a simple segment of Sonoran Desert Ironwood, Red Jasper SimStone and White Marble SimStone with copper separators to complement the copper plating and the red and white accents on the center band. Pictures of the pen follow.

With encouragement from Ed at Exotic Blanks, I used GluBoost Fill and Finish for the first time on this pen. Here are some notes and observations:

Application: I used about half of the number of coats than I put on with my typical CA regimen. I used small paper towel applicators (Viva Signature Cloth) - the same as I use with standard CA. I applied it with my lathe at the lowest speed, about half of what I use for CA (around 250 RPM). I used 3 coats of Medium (blue bottle) followed by two coats of Thin (orange bottle). I did two quick spritzes of the GluBoost GluDry accelerator after each coat. (I am pretty sure I used twice as much as necessary. Considering how things went, one quick single spritz is likely all that would have been needed). Perhaps it is a little biased because of GluBoost touting non-yellowing in their marketing, but I really did get the impression that the finish was more clear than what I get with my usual CA. The layers seemed to self-level very well and they built up thickness much faster than what I get with standard CA.

Sanding: I followed my standard MicroMesh wet sanding regimen of sanding using each grit (lathe on at about 1000 RPM) followed by sanding with the grain (lathe off). I only spend about 10 to 15 seconds on each grit, except for the first, coarse grit (Rust 1500) which gets a double hit because I use it twice before moving on to the next grit. I use a couple of drops of Cascade Rinse Aid in my wet sanding water as a lubricant and de-wetting agent.

Summary: The GluBoost performed very well and lived up to the features touted by the company and others. As I already mentioned, I think it is perhaps a little clearer than what I get with my normal CA regimen. It did only take me about 1/2 of the time it typically takes compared with my standard CA regimen. The application was smooth, it seemed to build thickness nicely, and it appeared to self level better than what I get with my standard CA. I will use it again on the next few pens I will be making and although I will still use up my current CA and Accelerator, I will likely be ordering GluBoost products from Exotic Blanks when I need to order supplies again.

Thank you Ed (and Dawn) for the encouragement to start using GluBoost. It really is a best-in-class product.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3683 Cropped.jpg

(The following are thumbnails so you can Click on them to Zoom-In)
IMG_3679 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3680 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3681 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3682 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank-you, Dave!!

ExoticBlanks handles over 10,000 "Sku"s. There are probably fewer than 10 products that I will opine, "This is the BEST of it's class!!"
Glu-Boost is one product I firmly believe is the BEST PRODUCT for a CA finish on a pen.

I am happy (and relieved) that your experience with the first use of GluBoost was so positive!!

We encourage using the saved time to do something extremely positive---like take a nap!!o_O
o_O

Ed

OH-- your pen is really COOL!! Nice job!!!

Darios

Well.. I'll try it again. My results got better after switching to foam pads, but still get inconsistent results.

And again, gorgeous segmenting - are those cut in around a 30 degree angle?

egnald

Well.. I'll try it again. My results got better after switching to foam pads, but still get inconsistent results.

And again, gorgeous segmenting - are those cut in around a 30 degree angle?
The amount of segmenting I have done is pretty limited and pretty simple. A while back I made a 30-degree sled for my bandsaw (picture) and a very simple one for my disc sander (just wood, no t-track, clamp, stop, etc.). This is what I used to cut the blanks.
Dave

IMG_3195.JPG

derekdd

Dave, that blank is such a cool contrast of colors/textures. Matches the kit very well.

Glad to hear about your experience with Gluboost.

I may give it a go once I run out of my current stock of Starbond.

sorcerertd

That is a beautiful pen and very nicely finished! The simple segmenting is very effective and the elements do combine very nicely for that kit.

I believe the extra cost of the GluBoost to be worth it for the results I get, the time saved getting to those results, and having less frustration in doing so.

Darios

I guess it's me. But, once again, the results tonight just didn't work out. Maybe I'm just used to how to work with Mercury Flex.

egnald

I guess it's me. But, once again, the results tonight just didn't work out. Maybe I'm just used to how to work with Mercury Flex.
GluBoost was quite a change for me. Although I didn't measure the thickness before and after applying, it really built up thickness quickly compared with the typical CA regimen that I use. I typically apply 4 coats of thin followed by 8 to 10 coats of medium CA. The GluBoost seemed to build the same thickness with only 3 coats of medium and 2 coats of thin.

Also, I only put a drop of CA on my applicator for each blank and I apply a fair amount of pressure on it wiping back and forth two, maybe three times so it always goes on really thin -- much more CA soaks into my applicator than usually stays on the blank. I tried the closed cell foam a few years ago without much success. I just never got the hang of it. For me it built up too thick and uneven - leaving like ripples that I needed to sand off (dry sanding, usually with a stiff backer on my sandpaper) - which frequently lead to sand-through for me. Since I started applying very thin coats with a good quality paper towel I haven't had that problem. Unless I've had to fill a void or crack in the blank, the thin layers are so smooth (no ripples) I can go straight from CA to wet sanding with MicroMesh.

If you are happy with Mercury Flex and you have a good regimen for application, you should probably stick with it until there is a compelling reason for you to change.

Regards,
Dave

Darios

If you are happy with Mercury Flex and you have a good regimen for application, you should probably stick with it until there is a compelling reason for you to change.

I've still got about half a bottle of fill and finish, and about a third a bottle of f&f thin and I love the playing around and testing so I'm not done with it... yet. I'm just under a deadline right now.

At some point I'll do ye olde left side/right side test on a not fully turned down piece to get a better comparison.

For me the foam has the advantage over _my_ (not so vast) experience with paper towels in that it takes less glue to begin, it takes longer to get to that point of first resistance which means I'm working the blank that much longer - with what seems to be an overall better coat. And less fighting of fibers to boot.

I was having different issues with Mercury Flex until a conversation ... someone... here was having with the company and the guy was asked "why are you putting on so many coats?" by the rep. (grossly paraphrased but that's the gist I remember).
I too was putting on too many coast and things got much more consistent for me with just 3-5 coats of Flex thin, on average. So I may be already getting one of the big advantages that gluboost offers.

But that claim of clarity is a compelling one that I can't just let go.

montmill

Thanks for your process Dave. I find I'm probably putting too much on the towel as after the three coats of thick I have to clean it up with steel wool. Then I can put on the thin coats. Like you, I use too much activator. I do find in humid weather it sets up much faster.

Woodchipper

Dave, my complements on an elegant pen. I like the 30 degree sled for the BS. Need to make one. Maybe adjustable for 45 and 30 degrees. Have some triangles my son made in the machine shop. Said they should be accurate to about a couple of thousandths.

egnald

Dave, my complements on an elegant pen. I like the 30 degree sled for the BS. Need to make one. Maybe adjustable for 45 and 30 degrees. Have some triangles my son made in the machine shop. Said they should be accurate to about a couple of thousandths.
Thanks. I started out thinking about an adjustable sled, with a pivot point and all, but then just decided to make it fixed at 30-degrees. I made one at 45-degrees at the same time and using the same design. I haven't used that one very much compared with the 30. - Dave

Penchant 4

Greetings from Nebraska.

The pen is a Southwest Twist style kit in the (discontinued?) Copper plating with Red Coral accents. The blank is a simple segment of Sonoran Desert Ironwood, Red Jasper SimStone and White Marble SimStone with copper separators to complement the copper plating and the red and white accents on the center band. Pictures of the pen follow.

With encouragement from Ed at Exotic Blanks, I used GluBoost Fill and Finish for the first time on this pen. Here are some notes and observations:

Application: I used about half of the number of coats than I put on with my typical CA regimen. I used small paper towel applicators (Viva Signature Cloth) - the same as I use with standard CA. I applied it with my lathe at the lowest speed, about half of what I use for CA (around 250 RPM). I used 3 coats of Medium (blue bottle) followed by two coats of Thin (orange bottle). I did two quick spritzes of the GluBoost GluDry accelerator after each coat. (I am pretty sure I used twice as much as necessary. Considering how things went, one quick single spritz is likely all that would have been needed). Perhaps it is a little biased because of GluBoost touting non-yellowing in their marketing, but I really did get the impression that the finish was more clear than what I get with my usual CA. The layers seemed to self-level very well and they built up thickness much faster than what I get with standard CA.

Sanding: I followed my standard MicroMesh wet sanding regimen of sanding using each grit (lathe on at about 1000 RPM) followed by sanding with the grain (lathe off). I only spend about 10 to 15 seconds on each grit, except for the first, coarse grit (Rust 1500) which gets a double hit because I use it twice before moving on to the next grit. I use a couple of drops of Cascade Rinse Aid in my wet sanding water as a lubricant and de-wetting agent.

Summary: The GluBoost performed very well and lived up to the features touted by the company and others. As I already mentioned, I think it is perhaps a little clearer than what I get with my normal CA regimen. It did only take me about 1/2 of the time it typically takes compared with my standard CA regimen. The application was smooth, it seemed to build thickness nicely, and it appeared to self level better than what I get with my standard CA. I will use it again on the next few pens I will be making and although I will still use up my current CA and Accelerator, I will likely be ordering GluBoost products from Exotic Blanks when I need to order supplies again.

Thank you Ed (and Dawn) for the encouragement to start using GluBoost. It really is a best-in-class product.

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 357546

(The following are thumbnails so you can Click on them to Zoom-In)
View attachment 357542
View attachment 357543
View attachment 357544
View attachment 357545
Appealing design and good execution. You should be really proud.

Woodchipper

Thanks. I started out thinking about an adjustable sled, with a pivot point and all, but then just decided to make it fixed at 30-degrees. I made one at 45-degrees at the same time and using the same design. I haven't used that one very much compared with the 30. - Dave
Having two sleds would ensure constant angles for cuts.

wimkluck

Nice pens. Great finish. I use glueboost myself. I don't know if I will buy it again. The cost of the glueboost here in the Netherlands are high.
27.50 a bottle and 22.50 for the accelerator. Plus shipping. I still have plenty of glue but the accelerator feels empty.

bugradx2

Holy cow, that is an amazing piece of art!

I can't add much from that as I'm a newer turner and have only used Glu Boost based on recommendations from friends who already use it. I will agree that it seems to do a very good job at self leveling (new turner technique isn't perfect). I go straight to micro mesh after the Glu Boost goes on.

Top Bottom