GluBoost Fill n’ Finish Black - Is it clear, or opaque?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

So, I don't use a lot of CA for my finishes, however I do usually like to keep a BLACK CA around for filling small cracks and the like. I've been turning pens from my plum tree branches, many of which have this amazing plum-colored staining. Being real branches, some of them often small diameter (1" or a little less), cracks can go right to the pith. I have been using StickFast black CA, but I'm not a real fan of stickfast in general as it seems I'm particularly allergic to it (even a small whiff and I am usually in for days or a week+ of misery!!) Further, I just opened up another bottle that is maybe 6 months old, and its basically useless...no amount of shaking so far has been able to mix up the pigment enough for it to work like it is supposed to. The last bottle also seemed to go more and more transparent over time, and I ended up throwing away almost half of it.

I'm looking for another filler black CA, and noticed GluBoost has their Fill n' Finish Black. I'm a bit confused, however, as the product description says it is a "clear" finish?

"Fill n' Finish Black is the best wood grain filler, from the Original GluBoost – Guaranteed Fresh. As a flexible clear wood grain filler, Fill n' Finish Black is perfect for pore filling and repair that is both fast and easy to use."

I'm not quite sure if this is a typo, or actually what they mean? Are they saying this is semi-translucent? I'm curious just how black and opaque it is. As a crack filler, I definitely don't want it to be clear, or even semi-translucent, as the intention is to block anyone from seeing through the crack (which would ultimately reveal the ugly brass tube underneath). The StickFast black so far has generally done the job here, but it really doesn't seem to keep long, and I've heard that GluBoost doesn't have much scent, and people who have had breathing issues with other CA glues don't have any or nearly as much with GluBoost...which makes it an intriguing option for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Unfortunate It's very transparent. A solution would be using their master tint black color and mixing with the fill and finish to get the opaque color you want. They have a great line of colors and they mix very easily.

Penchant 4

I have had good results in depth of color with the GluBoost black CA. My practice is to keep it well shaken. Even if not using it, I try to give the bottle a good shaking every 2nd of 3rd day; and then again, just prior to dispensing it. I am typically only using it on shallow defects/irregularities...say 1/32" to 1/16".

That said, I will have to try John's suggestion, as it is certain to provide even more opacity. John, have you experienced any adverse effects as far as curing time, when adding pigment? While not averse to using GluBoost accelerator especially since it does not 'boil' the CA; my preference is to let the CA harden 'naturally'.

JohnU

The pigments made by Gluboost work well with their product. Other things like mica powder will cure too quickly but their master tints allow plenty of time to apply it. Also, I've been told by Rick, the owner of Gluboost that you should use the accelerator to get the proper curing of the glue finish. Just be sure to hold the can 8-10" away so it disperses in the air and not saturates the glue surface. Just a short burst is all you need.

Penchant 4

The pigments made by Gluboost work well with their product. Other things like mica powder will cure too quickly but their master tints allow plenty of time to apply it. Also, I've been told by Rick, the owner of Gluboost that you should use the accelerator to get the proper curing of the glue finish. Just be sure to hold the can 8-10" away so it disperses in the air and not saturates the glue surface. Just a short burst is all you need.
Thanks, John!

jrista

Unfortunate It's very transparent. A solution would be using their master tint black color and mixing with the fill and finish to get the opaque color you want. They have a great line of colors and they mix very easily.
Thanks for the info, John.

I didn't know they had glue pigments. Looks like they have a CMY set, which along with a black and a white from their grayscale set, should be able to reproduce any color. Looks like the pigment is rather expensive, but I may just get some normal GluBoost glue, and their grayscale set for now, and mix my own filler.

I am curious, how does the glue work when you are mixing in the pigment? How much time do you have to mix before it cures? Is there a preferreed version of their glue you would want to use with the pigments?

mg_dreyer

Jon,

Sorry to be late to the game but I love GluBbost and color pigments. I generally mix the power into the GluBoost on the palette and the open time is generally in minutes. Here is my technique (at the 9 minute 27 second mark). Hope this helps.

GluBoost Coloring

Penchant 4

Jon,

Sorry to be late to the game but I love GluBbost and color pigments. I generally mix the power into the GluBoost on the palette and the open time is generally in minutes. Here is my technique (at the 9 minute 27 second mark). Hope this helps.

GluBoost Coloring
Mark,

Thanks for posting your video. I had seen it some time ago; but this is a good refresher.

Regarding the bleaching, what are you using to bond the blank to the tube? And, have you had any problem with the bleach affecting the bond using your preferred adhesive?

Thanks,

Bill

mg_dreyer

Mark,

Thanks for posting your video. I had seen it some time ago; but this is a good refresher.

Regarding the bleaching, what are you using to bond the blank to the tube? And, have you had any problem with the bleach affecting the bond using your preferred adhesive?

Thanks,

Bill
Standard 3 minute epoxy. I do let it sit overnight (at least and I do that with all my glue-ups). Never had an issue. If you do please let me know - I always like to know so I can adjust if I have too. Thanks for watching.

Penchant 4

Standard 3 minute epoxy. I do let it sit overnight (at least and I do that with all my glue-ups). Never had an issue. If you do please let me know - I always like to know so I can adjust if I have too. Thanks for watching.
Thank you much! Somewhere in the mental cobwebs I thought that you used epoxy on your glue ups; but thought it best to confirm.

Top Bottom