Drilling acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bryguy

I have had a heck of a time drilling acrylics. Blowouts galore.
Then I discovered the acrylic drills from FTM not a single blowout since (until I wore the drill bit out!)
They are available in metric sizes as well as fractional inch and number and letter sizes. I just ordered some more and in speaking with the manager there he said that they will do small orders (mine was for 4 7 mm bits). You should let them know that you'd prefer that your order be shipped in a flat rate box. My order's shipping would have been over $20 for 4 drill bits, now (flat rate) it is about $5.00.
Anyway I thought I would share the info as these Acryl-Point bits have been great for me.
I know this sounds like an ad, but I am no relation to, nor have I received any remuneration from FTM.
Remember to drill slow and pull out often!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Huskysibe

You can also do what someone on this forum suggested. Wrap the bottom of the acrylic blank in about 5 - 6 turns of electrical tape, try it, it really works. I have not had a single blowout since doing that. I am not sure why it works but Ill keep doing it lol

randyrls

Bryan; The easiest way to avoid blow-outs is simply not to drill all the way thru the blank. Cut long, drill short, and cut off the ends to exact length with a saw.

Rockytime

I have no acrylic blowouts. I use plain old, cheap, HD drill bits. I hold my blanks in an excellent pen vise. The bottom of the bank is supported by a sacrificial piece of wood which prevents the blowout.

Attachments

• 20150901_152046-1.jpg
    20150901_152046-1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 175

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can also flip your blank over and drill from both ends. I have some of those laying around somewhere. Never used them but I know I have 1/4 and 5/16 wont do much for pen making though.

Top Bottom