Circuit Board Blank Distinctive Cracks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker134

I hope this is in the right thread but as you can see this blank i bought from penn state industries and if my knowledge is correct if i would of turned this it would of exploded or got bad stuff happening to it i just wanted to show these to future buyers of this blank i dont think its supposed to look like this though

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You should definitely return that to PSI for a refund.

First step might be to phone their customer service number which is on the home page of their website. . They might send you another blank without you having to return this one.

Skie_M

There MIGHT be enough of that to safely get one short barrel blank out of it ...

But first, take pics and send the pics off to PSI ... they'll either request that one back (to show the manufacturer and determine the problem with it) or they'll just send you a free replacement and not need it back .... but you'll need to show them the pics and get their response first. If you cut it up and they need it back, there's kinda no point.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I would guess it did not look like that when they shipped it.

VERY cold outside, PR turns very brittle, then drop one 50 pound box onto the small flat that your blank was in and presto---cracks everywhere.

We hope to minimize that by using bubblewrap to protect PR blanks when we know it is cold outside---there are SOME advantages to being a penturner AND a pen blank shipper!!

penmaker134

I did call them and I am gonna send it back and they will refund my money and thats the first item I had to call and have it sent back but it happens

penmaker134

the blank was gonna be for a concava twist pen kit i would rather be able to get 2 pieces rather than a short piece and have to trash the rest

liljohn1368

I would guess it did not look like that when they shipped it.

VERY cold outside, PR turns very brittle, then drop one 50 pound box onto the small flat that your blank was in and presto---cracks everywhere.

We hope to minimize that by using bubblewrap to protect PR blanks when we know it is cold outside---there are SOME advantages to being a penturner AND a pen blank shipper!!

This is the reason I'm considering starting to practice a little with alumilite. I pour now with slime 41. And when I ship I'm scared it will get dropped or something dropped on it. I always get insurance. Yes never know...

Catski1

I was going to add you probably get eleven PSI emails a week. But you've already spoken to them. They are pretty good about returns in my few experiences. Glad they'll sort it out for you. I do kind of like the circuit board blanks but haven't been able to turn since my friend had to move shop. Hopefully I'll get to this year. Been wanting to try this Micarta and Phenolic stuff meant for pool cue ferrules. Also some imitation ivory, would love to see how it would look as a pen. Good luck with whatever you turn next.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

@Catski1

Skie_M

I was going to add you probably get eleven PSI emails a week. But you've already spoken to them. They are pretty good about returns in my few experiences. Glad they'll sort it out for you. I do kind of like the circuit board blanks but haven't been able to turn since my friend had to move shop. Hopefully I'll get to this year. Been wanting to try this Micarta and Phenolic stuff meant for pool cue ferrules. Also some imitation ivory, would love to see how it would look as a pen. Good luck with whatever you turn next.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

@Catski1

Use a dust mask and an air filter/cleaner with dust collector while you work ... dust from micarta is nasty stuff.

Top Bottom