Cactus juice use

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

He recommends storing used juice in mason jar, and do not keep it in the vacuum chamber overnight. I'm keeping mine (fresh and used) in the refrigerator, as a hot shop can cause the resin to gel up rendering it useless.

Tom

GregHight

I'm not sure if Curtis ships the juice pre-activated or not but it is supposed to be used within 6 months of being activated. It isn't supposed to cure until hitting close to 200 degrees but smaller amounts may set at lower temps so if you keep it in a pressure pot just keep a quart or more in there. I use the same stuff Curtis does,(I think) and I don't have any issues but I often have a gallon plus in my pot at all times.

Unless you have an all metal shop in the sun, I wouldn't worry about refridgerating it.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, the excess juice can be re-used. If you are using it clear, simply pour it into some type of plastic container. Eventually, the clear will start to darken from the wood contaminants which is a good time to turn it into dyed juice. Your shelf life will be extended significantly if you refrigerate it and it WILL gel up in a hot shop. I have 2 gallons that were packaged and ready to ship right before my father died. I did not get them out and since I knew I would not be in the shop, I turned off my AC. A month later when I was ready to ship, it had turned into a nice, expensive doorstop.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Oh cr*p....I stabilized some blanks about a month ago...took the blanks out of the juice and the pump is off...but I just realized that I didn't take the leftover juice out of the chamber...

...umm, when I get home tonight, how much of a big problem am I going to be facing ;(

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Oh cr*p....I stabilized some blanks about a month ago...took the blanks out of the juice and the pump is off...but I just realized that I didn't take the leftover juice out of the chamber...

...umm, when I get home tonight, how much of a big problem am I going to be facing ;(
You may have found a new use for a spring actuated center punch.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
That's not funny...ok maybe a little ;(

JustKidding...gee, wonder if it's hard enough I can cut it up into pen blanks 8>)

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Wasn't really meant to be funny , I have been using one for over a year to clean my pots and knock hardened resins off my bench, it really does work but be carefull with the non metal containers. It may be hard enough to use as pen blanks, but remember to paint the insides of the blanks.

JustKidding...gee, wonder if it's hard enough I can cut it up into pen blanks 8>)

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Wolftat, I will keep that tip in mind.
I haven't done that much casting or stabilizing yet, most of my workbench is covered with yellow glue squeeze out 'cause majority of what i do is segmented work.

Thanks again..!

Wasn't really meant to be funny , I have been using one for over a year to clean my pots and knock hardened resins off my bench, it really does work but be carefull with the non metal containers. It may be hard enough to use as pen blanks, but remember to paint the insides of the blanks.

Linarestribe

Thanks for all the replies. Here in the Northwest, it's barely reached 80 a few times. The weather man has been counting in minutes above 80. I think we are around 200 while the rest of the nation fries.

Glad to hear it can be saved. Now to return the none working vacuum pump and get a better one.

Thanks
Jorge

Top Bottom