Casting small things?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I am trying to cast confetti into a blank, but I keep having the same problem.

I get my silmar swirled until it is bubble free, then I mix in the confetti until it has a good suspension, add the MEKP, pour into the mold, and stir until it starts to gel. Then I get out of the way and let it harden.

Each time, I have ended up with a layer of confetti in the blank. The first one had the confetti in a layer at the bottom, the others have all been at various levels. Each blank seems to have the layer at a fairly consistent depth. Viewed from the top, they look great. Viewed from the side, there is only about 1/8" to 1/16" thick ribbon of flakes.

Any bright ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

Add more confetti.

With larger things, I add filler until the resin is saturated. Is that what you would recommend here as well?

As far as layering, my concern would be the blank splitting along the confetti lines. Also, my preference would be for the confetti to be jumbled up in the resin, rather than organized into layers. That might be avoidable with careful placement of pieces though.

sbell111

You seem to have only two choices.
  1. Wait just a touch longer before you stop stiring so the confetti doesn't have a chance to drop out of the suspension before the resin sets up.
  2. Pack the confetti into the mold and then add resin as you would if you were making money blanks. Of course, this is going to give you a much different look than I think you were going for.

Top Bottom