Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrPepper8412

DrPepper8412

Hey all!

Took a weekend at home from college, so naturally the first thing I did was ate a big bucket of green chile (the local food of choice in New Mexico):biggrin:, and hopped on the lathe! I was hoping to make a whole bunch of pens, to replenish my stock, but I figured one real nice one will do just as well. Whipped this one up pretty quickly...had a little trouble with the hdden clip, but for my first closed-end pen, I thought it turned out very nicely! Tell me what you think!

Amboyna Burl with black titanium Navigator fountain.

Attachments

• Amboyna Burl Closed End Barron Closed.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Closed End Barron Closed.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 464
  • Amboyna Burl Closed End Barron.jpg
    Amboyna Burl Closed End Barron.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 435
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I actually enjoy the look of that particular wood on those components! Very nice work. What kind of issues did you have with your clip, just curious?

patmurris

Really nice work with the double closed ends and hidden clip - love the overall shape. Can't be disappointed with amboyna burl - certainly one of my favs.

DrPepper8412

Thanks all! I appreciate the input...I was very proud of my work.

@Seamus: Because I drilled my blank only to the depth of the tube, I encountered an issue with fitting the clip in. When I finally managed to get it in, I put a bit too much super glue inside the tube, and it leaked out. Fortunately, I managed to clean most of it up, and it doesn't look bad at all.

@Tim: I did use a pen mandrel. I don't have one for closed ends specifically though, so I ended up putting scrap wood and other bushings on untill -with the Barron bushing inside the open end of the blank- the tip of the mandrel was pressed against the inside of the blank. I then used the live center on the other end, turned, and parted it off.

Top Bottom