BOTTLE STOPPERS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

This is one product with some others, that just do not sell!
I was asking $20 at shows. But, I was finding that people who drink wine or old No 7, just finish the bottle.

Thoughts?
As well, what are you selling these for?

d_bondi

I was asking $20 at shows. But, I was finding that people who drink wine or old No 7, just finish the bottle.

Thoughts?

Clarification on my Ha Ha/LOL... laughing at the "But, I was finding that people who drink wine or old No 7, just finish the bottle."
Not at your predicament of them not selling.

jttheclockman

Put me too in that catagory that stopped making them. I found unless you make ones that are extra out of the ordinary such as themed stoppers then maybe they will sell I made some military ones way back when and basically gave them away. I have a couple still in blank form that I never turned. also I bought a bunch of military pins to cast in them. May use for pens if I can bend them. Good luck.

sorcerertd

Yeah, they don't sell. Great gifts, though. I have a few too many of them that I never bothered to start after seeing how they worked out (or not).

I've sold 2. They went as a set a couple years ago. A friend of mine bought them both as a Christmas gift for friend of his who was out of state. He wanted me to send them directly to his friend and told me to put a nice note in from him. I told his friend that Tony liked him enough that he wanted to send something special to stick in his holiday spirits. (I did make sure that Tony approved that message first.)

Hartwell85

I have not sold any bottle stoppers off my website. Sold three at a holiday bazaar in 2022 and one in 2023. My best sales were to my local wine store that bought 18 at wholesale this year. They sell them throughout the year with best sales in December. I make the stoppers from Spectraply in order to keep my cost low so I can make a small profit. Emphasize small profit.

Todd in PA

I bought ten last year. Never made them, so I still have all ten. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I'm usually a very conservative in my shopping habits, but when it comes to turning, I slip out of character.

I made keychains and couldn't sell them for what they cost.

Lew

The problem I have with the wine bottle stoppers is that the height makes them difficult to store a bottle in a cupboard. So I am forced (!) to drink the whole bottle in one day. Has anyone made a whiskey bottle stopper? Those would seem to be more useful than wine stoppers.

RDHals

I also haven't sold any yet but it hasn't been a year yet since I put them on the website so I'm still hoping. I have given a few away as gifts and the feedback was good. But still no sales. It's good to know that I'm not alone, thanks for posting the thread.

egnald

I'm in the same camp as many of you. I have had the kits and all of the arbors, blanks and stuff needed to make them for years, but have not made even one yet. My plan was to make them for myself and/or to give away as gifts. I suppose some day when I plan on gifting a nice bottle of spirits to someone, I might pull them out and turn a nice stopper to go with it. - Time will tell I guess. - Dave

henry1164

The problem I have with the wine bottle stoppers is that the height makes them difficult to store a bottle in a cupboard. So I am forced (!) to drink the whole bottle in one day. Has anyone made a whiskey bottle stopper? Those would seem to be more useful than wine stoppers.
Cracked the nut on height issue when I saw a video some time ago (not sure who did it) of an acorn stopper that was recessed into the wood. Adapted the design for mine. They sold quickly when shown in comparison with the height of my other stoppers. They were tricky to turn as the wall get a little thin and I couldn't use any of the softer woods, spectrawood or anything that didn't have "strength".

Attachments

• IMG_4816.jpeg
    IMG_4816.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4815.jpeg
    IMG_4815.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 67

egnald

Cracked the nut on height issue when I saw a video some time ago (not sure who did it) of an acorn stopper that was recessed into the wood. Adapted the design for mine. They sold quickly when shown in comparison with the height of my other stoppers. They were tricky to turn as the wall get a little thin and I couldn't use any of the softer woods, spectrawood or anything that didn't have "strength".
I like your modification. I'm going to have to try to remember it when I finally get busy and make some for myself. - Dave

Hartwell85

I could easily switch a few wine stoppers to whiskey stoppers since they attach by a threaded fitting and see if they sell on my website. I made a very short wine bottle stopper but it has not sold. See photo.

Attachments

• bottle-stopper-orange-mango-x22025.png
    bottle-stopper-orange-mango-x22025.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 36

bsshog40

I have made a few myself. Have away a couple. The wife had a picture of some I still have and sold one at her work awhile back for $25. No interest after that. I still have a half a dozen not turned yet but just leaving them on the backburner until I can get acrylic blanks for those instead of wood. I think the acrylic makes them more decorative for a stopper.

jttheclockman

Yeah, I have some kits but haven't gotten around to them yet.

@henry1164 that's a very creative way to make them lower profile.
There are vendors selling those type stoppers as a kit also. Nothing new. they have been around. I believe the thing is people just do not put open bottles of wine in fridges. I also believe I saw on Shark Tank someone present this idea there too along with his cork opener.

Want to see some cool stoppers

https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/artist-gallery-of-stainless-stoppers-for-all-bottles/

Here is Louie's version of the low bottle stopper and he had a very good point within the explanation about adding some sort of shape to it opposed to round for ease of removing and he is right. when totally round and that small it is hard to grip and pull out because of the suction. something to think about. Lots of information found on this site for all topics.

I do not know if this guy is still around but was a member here and up there in age so not sure but his version.

Over the years we had some group buys for bottle stoppers because Ruth Niles is a member here and there were many stoppers making the rounds.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/stainless-stopper-group-buy-ends-8-20.35868/

Last edited:

sbwertz

At the blind center, we took old wine bottles, took off the labels made new labels for olive oil, avocado oil, vinegar, etc and sold them with the turned Ruth Niles stoppers. We would make custom labels if asked. For a while we had a volunteer who was really artistic and hand-made beautiful custom labels. She was a great calligrapher. (We covered the labels with clear plastic labels to protect the print and artwork from spills. You can get the clear plastic labels in 8x10 sheets.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
At my markets, I always tell potential customers that they are for quitters... most of the time I get a laugh and often a sale.

sbwertz

We turn the mushroom stoppers at the blind center. I take a pretty hunk of wood and drill some holes in it and put the mushroom stoppers in it so it looks like they are growing out of the wood. We have sold several as sets, and use one to display stoppers in the case. It might be a good way to display some at a show.

l
mushrooms.jpg

sorcerertd

There are some really great ideas in there, though I'm still not sure most would sell. I think you need a very specific clientele for them.

I can't speak from personal experience, but would think that the ones with special objects embedded in resin would sell better. A small version of this (image found on Google) would probably be popular, but I can't see much actual profit in it.
1703521855540.png

TonyL

They are decorative and make a nice display. I don't drink, but then one's I that gifted don't always ft in the fridge with the topper.

sbwertz

They are decorative and make a nice display. I don't drink, but then one's I that gifted don't always ft in the fridge with the topper.
Point out that an empty wine bottle can be used to store lots of things besides wine! I use one for avocado oil, and another for olive oil, one for cider vinegar and one for white vinegar. etc. Then you can store them on an open shelf or counter and they look a lot nicer than a store bottle! Put a pretty label on it and it makes a nice gift. You can also get wine in half bottles 375ml that have the same size cork.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
There are some really great ideas in there, though I'm still not sure most would sell. I think you need a very specific clientele for them.

I can't speak from personal experience, but would think that the ones with special objects embedded in resin would sell better. A small version of this (image found on Google) would probably be popular, but I can't see much actual profit in it.
View attachment 365323
Maybe little consistent sales/profit... But I'd buy a few of these in a heart blink! ;) ;) ;)

WriteON

Way too much work for $20.... even $30 using Niles stoppers...... can make a few pens in less time. I gift them.

jttheclockman

Way too much work for $20.... even $30 using Niles stoppers...... can make a few pens in less time. I gift them.
Maybe true but many times it is not the money but it is the one of a kind beauty of something that needs no money. That is why Making things by hand in all aspects of woodworking and wood turning, we many times just need to step back and show off the talents. I know that is what I strive for in all my hobbies of woodworking and pen turning. I do not need a price tag on them. I just want to challenge myself and se what comes along. I believe each and everyone of us has this inside us and we just need to think outside the box and let the imagination run.

sbwertz

Maybe true but many times it is not the money but it is the one of a kind beauty of something that needs no money. That is why Making things by hand in all aspects of woodworking and wood turning, we many times just need to step back and show off the talents. I know that is what I strive for in all my hobbies of woodworking and pen turning. I do not need a price tag on them. I just want to challenge myself and se what comes along. I believe each and everyone of us has this inside us and we just need to think outside the box and let the imagination run.
John, this is one of the most frustrating things about working with blind turners. They make beautiful things, AND THEY CAN'T SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL THEY ARE! Sometimes it makes me want to cry! Last week one of my blind turners made a beautiful item from desert ironwood. It was one of the prettiest pieces of wood I have ever worked with and it broke my heart that he couldn't see it. He said it was OK, the person he was making it for as a Christmas gift would be able to see it!

Lew

While I enjoy making pens and the challenges that presents, I also enjoy other woodworking projects among them turning bottle stoppers where the design, dimensions etc are all up to me. There is no set way to make a bottle stopper except for the requirement that something has to go into the bottle. I don't sell many things, don't go to craft fairs. I just give everything I make away. Some people see what I have made and ask for a specific article, and for those items I do charge. While I love my bottle stoppers, no one has ever asked me to make one special for them. But I still enjoy it.

Woodchipper

Sharon, would it be that your turners can see with the "mind's eye?" Can the touch of the raw wood and turned wood give an indication of the beauty of the wood? My compliments on your working with this group.

jttheclockman

Sharon, would it be that your turners can see with the "mind's eye?" Can the touch of the raw wood and turned wood give an indication of the beauty of the wood? My compliments on your working with this group.
I would echo these same words. I believe those challenged people have more of a sense of satisfaction than those of us who do see. We see every flaw in our work and critique it to no end while they see every highlight and beauty of the piece. I commend you for your efforts and dedication to working with your group and commend those that are members of your group and urge each to continue on and make the masterpieces that they do and share with the rest of us their fruits of their labor. I think we all need to step back and enjoy our own fruits of our labor and take a page out of those people story and see what they see. Continued success as we enter into a New Year.

sorcerertd

John, this is one of the most frustrating things about working with blind turners. They make beautiful things, AND THEY CAN'T SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL THEY ARE! Sometimes it makes me want to cry! Last week one of my blind turners made a beautiful item from desert ironwood. It was one of the prettiest pieces of wood I have ever worked with and it broke my heart that he couldn't see it. He said it was OK, the person he was making it for as a Christmas gift would be able to see it!
I can see where you are coming from with this, but wonder about that "mind's eye" thing as well. It's pretty amazing that they even take on wood turning. The way I see some handicapped people going through life, I wonder who really has the disability, myself or them. I have a deaf from birth niece that is absolutely fearless. She's accomplished things that most people only dream about.

If you have permission to do so, I wonder if you might start a new post about your work with the blind center. I'd love to see some pictures and video of the shop and their creative process. Do you have a picture of that DIW piece?

greenacres2

Here's a few made for gifts this year. The stopper/openers were from Koa and reclaimed rosewood handrail (i'm told a mid-1800's building in New York City). The individual stoppers are Bocote and maple (from my yard) with cabochon made by Ed Davidson (yo-yo maker). Little ornaments from DiamondCast off-cuts--cut bulk 7mm tubes to length of off-cuts instead of trimming Tim McKenzie's beautiful blanks!!

Don't know if any of these would sell, but as gifts the comments were gratifying--best pay i could get.
earl

Attachments

• Koa Stop-Open.jpg
    Koa Stop-Open.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Rosewood Stop-Open.jpg
    Rosewood Stop-Open.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 40
  • Stop-Ornaments.jpg
    Stop-Ornaments.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 35

WriteON

Totally agree with you..... But if it is for the money... From a sales point, craft shows, etc, bottle stoppers are not profitable especially at $20-25. Can make a few pens in the time it takes to turn stopper blank. If I sold stoppers... I make them with a golf ball or lug nut (for the car nut)... I drill a 3/8" in the golf ball and epoxy. Fast snd novel

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1730.jpeg
    IMG_1730.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1729.jpeg
    IMG_1729.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

ccccchunt

I sell them as fast as I can make them. I did a farmers market last year in Seattle and had my booth set up with a variety of empty bottles of Scotch and some olive oil bottles. Kitchen fanatics went nuts over the olive oil stoppers, especially the Olivewood ones. My vertical Honeycomb stopper sold out within a couple of hours. Now I get a bunch of custom color orders, especially for sports team themed color combinations.

Attachments

• 276128353_10219808238708502_6961648473134791000_n.jpg
    276128353_10219808238708502_6961648473134791000_n.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 34
  • vlcsnap-2023-11-13-13h05m10s728.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-11-13-13h05m10s728.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 35

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I sell them as fast as I can make them. I did a farmers market last year in Seattle and had my booth set up with a variety of empty bottles of Scotch and some olive oil bottles. Kitchen fanatics went nuts over the olive oil stoppers, especially the Olivewood ones. My vertical Honeycomb stopper sold out within a couple of hours. Now I get a bunch of custom color orders, especially for sports team themed color combinations.
ccccchunt, how do you make those? They look pretty cool!

Top Bottom