PennState Big Grabber mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I don't remember how long ago I bought a Big Grabber mandrel from PennState - it must have been on a deeply discounted sale at some point as it's been sitting on the shelf waiting for me to think of a use for it ever since it arrived.

It finally made a contribution - and nothing to do with what they'd pitched it as. I've been making some tree ornaments, and needed a way to reverse chuck a ball of cast Fordite so I could finesse the curve and cut a rebate for the finial to countersink into the globe.

The 12.5mm expansion tubing and ferrule were an ideal fit for the 1/2" though-hole I'd drilled in the casting.

It allowed me to refine the curve, cut the rebate for the finial, and sand & polish the second half of the globe.

Big grabber - 1.jpg
Big Grabber - 2.jpg
Big Grabber - 3.jpg

duncsuss

That's a really cool piece. I guess the mandrel earned its place.
Thanks, Todd.

Yes it has - I'd already made one ornament a little differently and was able to use a pin-chuck from Rick Herrell, but it just wouldn't grip in this piece. Must have drilled the hole a little larger or something.

Anyway - I've lined up another 4 of them, so it's going to get a work-out before it goes back on the shelf for another decade :D

Top Bottom