1st Kitless ~ Aluminum & Polymer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from creativewriting

I finally got one finished. About a month ago I decided I wanted to take the plunge into kitless pens. The only problem was I didn't have a metal lathe to do what I wanted and secondly as a polymer guy I had very little experience turning anything, let alone metal. With the consent of LOML I purchase a used metal lathe from a friend who had all the tooling. Then I think I watched every video on YouTube dealing with turning, threading, and anything else metal. I am probably doing everything wrong, but I messed around enough and out popped a pen. This is my first complete pen. I made some nib sections, bodies, and half a cap (blew up) trying different designs, but this is the first complete pen.

The pen is aluminum with faux leather (polymer). I did the faux leather due to the fact my first pens were done with this design. It was what got me going so it was only fitting to dress my first kitless pen with the design.

Butch and George helped me tremendously and didn't make fun of me when I asked a stupid question.

4587662189_29ece8fced.jpg

4588284906_d699d453ec.jpg

4588284964_8d99177d65.jpg

Last edited:

ldb2000

Outstanding Keith , that is totally awesome . I was wondering when you would get it posted . The furnature design is fantastic and your PC leather work is amazing .
So , was kitless as bad as you expected it to be ?
Now for your next problem .... top that one :biggrin:

Maximil

Beautiful !

But what about the aluminium's oxydation ? Do you applied CA or something else ?
What's this celulloid ?

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

Butch, it wasn't too bad except for the fact I had no idea what I was doing. Trying to figure everything out and watch it come together was well worth it. It's no Skippy pen, but at least it got me started down the kitless road.

Thanks again everyone.

But what about the aluminium's oxydation ? Do you applied CA or something else ?
What's this celulloid ?

I used aluminum on this one to work through designs and for me it was a good learning metal (cheap). I got a couple 72' rods for $30 or so and I don't feel bad when something explodes (not literally) or I don't like a design and have to scrap the piece. I have read that a good automotive clear coat will help with this. Eventually I would like to move to stainless or even titanium, but I have a lot to learn.

Celluloid? I am not sure what you are asking on this one. The faux leather is polymer clay. I hand sculpt the laces and texture effects.

PenMan1

Keith:
Your art has always been amazing. With the addition of the metal lathe, you have, once again, moved to a higher plain. Good work!

PaulDoug

Very nicely done. Not only the metal work, but the PC leather is fantastic. I thought it was real leather. And the future is just starting?!

workinforwood

I have a combat solution for aluminum oxide. it's called a sink and some soap..go wash your hands..no big deal. Put some auto wax on it, that's going to stop it for a while then put on some more and wash your hands. If you are not writing with the pen for long periods of time, then you won't have to worry about a thing. You fingers will turn a bit black if you do..so just wash up and life goes on. I'd rather have an aluminum hand made pen and wash my hands after use then have a bic.

Car polish.....hmmm... I never would have thunk it! Thanks for the tip. This one is staying in my personnal stash so I may give that a try. Hand washing is always a good thing too!

David Keller

That's very cool. I love the homemade components, and the PC work looks top notch. I like the satin look of the aluminum.

el_d

Wow very nice Keith.

I got to start saving for a metal lathe. You did a great job on that. Is the PC wrapped around a standard brass tube or is it a one piece aluminum with the PC wrapped oround that?

Toni

Keith~been waiting to see this pen!! Its amazing well done, dont understand anything anyone is saying..LOL but its awsome!! YOU THE MAN!!

I got to start saving for a metal lathe. You did a great job on that. Is the PC wrapped around a standard brass tube or is it a one piece aluminum with the PC wrapped oround that?

Lupe, it is solid aluminum. I made recesses in the body and the cap sections so I could wrap with polymer. I have used the faux leather on a kit pen before and I did wrap the tube. There are several parts to the process to get the leather to look like leather.

dont understand anything anyone is saying
Toni, thanks for the compliment. Don't worry the lingo will come as you hang around here a little more. It is funny because I still think our pen (you and I) are the yin and yang of polymer. Sports and leather with a touch of daisy's and butterflies. Luv it!

Rfturner

oh no Toni has recuited a general, watch out:biggrin:

The pen looks great I wish that I had a metal lathe but the next piece of machinery has to be a router for me...and a planer, and...

Toni

Toni, thanks for the compliment. Don't worry the lingo will come as you hang around here a little more. It is funny because I still think our pen (you and I) are the yin and yang of polymer. Sports and leather with a touch of daisy's and butterflies. Luv it!

Yes we are!! I am glad you found some time to get that pen finished I know how busy you have been lately. Cant wait to see whats next on your plate(LOL) sorry couldnt resist

Thanks Bruce. It's no Boone original...but you have to start somewhere I guess. I have been wanting to make a ring blank for polymer so I might be bugging you next:biggrin:!

wizard

I just got a Micromark Metal Lathe and have a long way up on the learning curve.
If there any particular U-Tube video or book that could get me started and that you would suggest, I would very much appreciate it. Your pen is amazing !!!

Wizard, the easiest thing to say is watch them all. There are several on the 7x10 and many others out there. I got the table top machining book (mainly for sherline users) and it was helpful for tooling and general knowledge. The is also a series of books for the workshop (screw cutting, tooling, mini-lathe, and so on). I think it is called the "practical workshop series" or something like that. Several of the books can be downloaded off the internet.

Good luck!

Top Bottom