Hey! It's a start

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Looking good dude!! I'll be in Indy tomorrow for the U.S. Nationals. Wish i could come by, but i'm entertaining customers!! But next weekend i'll also be up there for the world championship figure 8. So hopefully we can have lunch or something :) I'll call you on Sunday.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looking good dude!! I'll be in Indy tomorrow for the U.S. Nationals. Wish i could come by, but i'm entertaining customers!! But next weekend i'll also be up there for the world championship figure 8. So hopefully we can have lunch or something :) I'll call you on Sunday.
That sounds good Ernie. Have a good time and, talk to you soon.

stonepecker

Yes Chuck.......I know, work comes before the important things in out lives.
Been there.....have the shirt.

With three free days....a little sunshine....you should be back turning pens by next week.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Yes Chuck.......I know, work comes before the important things in out lives.
Been there.....have the shirt.

With three free days....a little sunshine....you should be back turning pens by next week.
Glad you understand! :biggrin: It doesn't have to be sunny anymore. I'll be in there tonight and tomorrow getting things in order. Then there will be some shavings flying. :wink:

stonepecker

Went into one storage shed and began cleaning today. Found 4 years of tax records from the 90's.......they burned really well. Two downpours slowed me down and then the humidity went sky high this afternoon. Took a break and went back after supper. 95% empty now, just need to sweep it out in the morning and remove the last few things.......then get the cleaning funds back.
Life is good.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Taking shape

Got a few boxes emptied. I still don't know how I will manage this. Another bench for assemblies and, pouring and stuff. :confused:

A Black Widow has set up her nest outside, under the eave. I'll try to get a better pic of her. Gotta charge the batteries. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1580 (2).jpg
    IMG_1580 (2).jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1581 (2).jpg
    IMG_1581 (2).jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1582 (2).jpg
    IMG_1582 (2).jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 258

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You may have to put an overhead loft in and cap the ceiling at 6ft.:laugh:
Hey, I'm not completely opposed to that idea :biggrin:

I was thinking more of an attached storage building.......Maybe 20x20?:wink:

Keep going Chuck, you need to make the floor dirty.:eek:
I think I should have gotten a permit and built a garage to start with :rolleyes:
Now the rain is running in around the doors somehow. So, now that it's NOT raining, I'm getting the floor dried and, will look at that tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What still no sawdust. I don't see any pens here? Spiders? Where are the snakes? Did I mention I don't see any pens?
LOL! :laugh: Hang on Mike! There's a good chance I'll be turning some pens tomorrow. My cousin has ordered 10 Sculpted pens from PSI and, already paid for them. SO.... gotta get busy :redface: The unpacking can wait. I have what I need.

stonepecker

Hey Chuck, Time to put everything else aside (and I do mean everything), today is the day. Clean out enough to stand by the lathe. Put something between centers and TURN THAT LATHE ON!

Make a mess of the floor.
Be at peace with yourself.
Turn the radio on.
Make something round.

And when the day is done.........smile and take a picture for the rest of us.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Chuck, Time to put everything else aside (and I do mean everything), today is the day. Clean out enough to stand by the lathe. Put something between centers and TURN THAT LATHE ON!

Make a mess of the floor.
Be at peace with yourself.
Turn the radio on.
Make something round.

And when the day is done.........smile and take a picture for the rest of us.
I had to get a haircut and, some food :biggrin: The day is young but, I'm somewhat mentally focused :rolleyes: Have to remember where to start. Any pointers? :biggrin:

stonepecker

6 days without a posting from Chuck. I am going through withdrawl and it is killing me. Makes me wonder if he is even looking at the "Cave".

Of course, the wife might be filling that 'honey do' list faster then he can complete the orders.

Keep smiling.

No loft knockout the back wall it is time to expand and buy more toys/tools. A shop should look like yours, don't clean it too much then you will not want to put shavings on the floor.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
6 days without a posting from Chuck. I am going through withdrawl and it is killing me. Makes me wonder if he is even looking at the "Cave".

Of course, the wife might be filling that 'honey do' list faster then he can complete the orders.

Keep smiling.

Wayne, give the poor guy some credit....:biggrin: I reckon he's locked himself inside and has already made over a hundred stunning pens......:rolleyes:

Mmmmmm.......then again, we ARE talking about Chuck so maybe not:frown:

I reckon the White House took less time to complete than the Chucksters Chicken Coop Cavern.......oops sorry, I mean Stooooooodeeeeeeeooooohhhh :laugh:

scjohnson243

I can relate to this... I should have electricity ran to my shop today, thus far I have been running off extension cords! Everytime I walk in I start organizing, then decide to make something, tear it all up, and go back to step 1....

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Chuck is now a working man!! He has to sneak in the man cave on his days off

Hey Ernie, I work away from home and spend about 20 nights a month in hotels. Mile long 'Honey-Do' lists every time I get home as well.....so he can't complain...:rolleyes::biggrin:

......Mind you, I'm only 21, so I'm still young enough to cope......:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I quit posting Cuz Y'all quit posting :tongue::biggrin: Ernie is right. I got a job driving parts in southwest Indiana. 250 miles most days. Been 12 days now and, beginning to get used to it. I'll be in tomorrow after our grandsons graduation party. Got lots of pens to make but, I'll be honest with you guys....it's been a long time since I've turned a kit pen with a tenon. :redface: Plus, my power tool bench doesn't seem right. Too crowded! I must have had a longer bench in Florida:redface: Anyways...go ahead and, poke your fun at me :tongue: But, when I DO start making real pens...you're not gonna believe I made them :biggrin::tongue:

stonepecker

Cause Chuck is working so hard..........All he had time for was an e-mail letting me know that he found time to get into the "cave". I felt compeled to share this information with the rest of the IAP that is watching and waiting for that first pen from the new shop.

So now we can wait tilll Chuck has more then a free minute to post again.
Hell, He might even find a working camera to take a picture of the clean shop and the wife's happy dance that the garage is open again.

Keep Smiling.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Working on those 10 Sculptured pens today. My brother and nephew helped hang another cabinet this morning. Taking time out for the Nascar race right now. :biggrin: Then back to the pens. Hey....gotta have SOME fun time :wink::biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Turning again

OK Wayne! Here's some dust on the floor :biggrin: Got started on the 10 pen order and, the first pen in seven months flared up the muscle spasm in my neck. (arthritis) Took a break for a couple of days and, the second one did the same thing. I just might be getting closer to the end of my pen making days friends. Dunno? But, at this rate, there won't be many made fast.

Attachments

• IMG_1587 (2).jpg
    IMG_1587 (2).jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1586 (2).jpg
    IMG_1586 (2).jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1585 (2).jpg
    IMG_1585 (2).jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1584 (2).jpg
    IMG_1584 (2).jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 195

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You know in the interest of your health, you should just package up all of your turning supplies and tools to me. I would hate to hear you were suffering from the turning. :) :)
You are SO considerate :biggrin: Thanks for your concern about my health :wink: But, I'm not quite ready to give up completely :biggrin:

It is nice to see that you are finally seeing the opportunity to do some turning. It is some of the most therapeutical time I spend.
Thank you Jim. I totally agree with you :biggrin:

stonepecker

PICTURES !!!!! Looking great there Chuck.
Good to see a little dust being made. Take your time....enjoy the fun.
And rest when you have to......your not a young Chuck anymore.

Feeling all my days this morning.
Wayne

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Wayne! Sometimes when the pain is so great, I say it's time to give this stuff up. Then, when the pain subsides, I come back to my senses :biggrin:. Until the next time. :rolleyes:

Got 4-1/2 pens done. Now watching Colts game AND, Nascar.

OOPS

I don't know if you've thought of this, or if it would even help. I didn't have neck problems, but a variety of leg/back issues at first. I experimented with tables of different heights until I got what felt comfortable. Finally, I found a chair that, when seated, put me right at eye level with the piece on the lathe. So I now sit while sanding and using MM. Not only did it improve my sanding because I have a better angle to view, but I don't have any issues with pain. I still stand while turning, as it seems easier than trying to learn to do that seated. I had enough trouble learning to turn while standing, and I don't want to re-learn it!

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I don't know if you've thought of this, or if it would even help. I didn't have neck problems, but a variety of leg/back issues at first. I experimented with tables of different heights until I got what felt comfortable. Finally, I found a chair that, when seated, put me right at eye level with the piece on the lathe. So I now sit while sanding and using MM. Not only did it improve my sanding because I have a better angle to view, but I don't have any issues with pain. I still stand while turning, as it seems easier than trying to learn to do that seated. I had enough trouble learning to turn while standing, and I don't want to re-learn it!

I hope this gives you some ideas.
Thank you Bill. I have thought about trying different ways but, just haven't changed anything. Like you, I hesitate to try doing it differently. May make it worse. I could be simply trading one pain for another. I like the work being at elbow height so, better leave it that way. Sorry if I sounded like I was complaining. It's just fact of the matter. I appreciate your input.

wyone

well I hope whatever method is used to assist in the turning process, the additional appropriate safety equipment is used. I tried turning on a stool once.. and found myself closer to the work, but also more in line with any. shall we say.. incidents I had.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great start, be sure to put that lean to outside to house the noisy dust collector.
Thanks Glenn, yes that loud thing IS another issue. I at least have a mask and, a fan.
well I hope whatever method is used to assist in the turning process, the additional appropriate safety equipment is used. I tried turning on a stool once.. and found myself closer to the work, but also more in line with any. shall we say.. incidents I had.
Thanks. I tried the stool when I first started turning and, discovered (eventually) that, standing was more efficient and, comfortable while turning.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I know it's been a while Chuck but we have a forum on here where you can post pictures of pens you've made. Here's the link: Show off your Pens!
Yes....yes I know about the SOYP:redface: In due time Watson....in due time. :biggrin:

I actually have 8 of the pens finished. Two of the kits had leaking refills which, saturated the transmission and springs inside the little sleeve they come in. Got those parts cleaned up and, had a couple extra refills here. Two of the blanks had sapwood in them and were just plain ugly after sanding them so, I have to redo those. Coming soon friends! :biggrin:

Thanks for the reminder Derek! :wink:

Top Bottom