Yorkshire Grit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I saw this, Yorkshire Grit Finishing Paste, in an email from Exotic Blanks. Ed this should also prove that people do look at your emails you send out. Ha Ha. Anyway I watched a couple of videos on how they used it and it looks promising. Both videos did say it wasn't a finish but a replacement for wet sanding. I'm thinking it might be good for pens that have both wood and resin in them. Just thought I'd throw this out there and see what anyone else thought of it that's tried it. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Yorkshire grit is a tried and tested woodworkers abrasive paste which has been taken over by an American company and is now difficult to get here due to the high transport costs.
Our loss is your gain.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks Alan. But it's more for sanding purposes and not a finish correct? The videos I saw said to apply a sanding sealer then the Yorkshire and then finish with whatever you like.

Alan Morrison

Just for using as a liquid sandpaper before applying a finish.
It was called abrasive paste here rather than finishing paste, but it's not used for a finish.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am still learning, so I am not a good source. What I can tell you is the cans are huge!! Several years' supply, IMO!!

Jans husband

There are 2 sorts of Yorkshire Grit. The Original gives a fine keyed surface prior to finishing and the Microfine contains mineral oil, beeswax and a fine abrasive to leave a highly polished surface on resins hybrids and wood.
I have used Microfine for several years m mainly on acrylic pens but it also produces an excellent polished finish especially on close grained wood.

A little goes a long way. I am still on my first tub of 226 grams

monophoto

Before there was Yorkshire Grit, there was a product from U-Beaut in Australia called EEE Ultrashine. Then, there was Dr. Kirk's ScratchFrEEE, and Ack's Paste.

And many people make their own - there are a number of YouTube videos from Mike Peace, Daniel Villarino and others on making abrasive paste from beeswax, mineral oil and either tripoli abrasive, or diatomaceous earth.

I bought a can of YG a while back... it worked great but was a little pricey (I thought) I found a YouTube video of a guy in Venezuela that makes a version.... I took his recipe and made up about 6 six inch diameter cans ( I used the Cerelto dog collar cans) in my shop that I use regularly...
His name is Daniel Valarino... he uses mineral oil, beeswax and diatomaceous earth (or aluminum oxide or rotten stone (rotten stone turned mine black - the DE left it light colored).

I made mine a year or so back and am only into the second can now.

Blood Woodson

I use both kinds of Yorkshire grit in order on CA when I want a perfect, smooth finish. I used it on this majestic last week, and there isn't a scratch or scuff to be seen. Also blank from @Benpen

Attachments

• 7145A2A4-B5EF-4687-BF74-2324F5FA5A29.jpeg
    7145A2A4-B5EF-4687-BF74-2324F5FA5A29.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 50
  • D3A4B276-0453-412D-A965-1AEDBFB335AC.jpeg
    D3A4B276-0453-412D-A965-1AEDBFB335AC.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 54

dogcatcher

I have used rottenstone mixed with Danish or Teak oil as a wetting agent for years. Bascally the same as these "pastes".

Using the same choice of finish as the " paste making" liquid makes everything compatible.

Top Bottom