Wooden Spatulas for the Kitchen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

I just finished some new spatulas to replace the ones I made nearly 20 years ago.

The 2 bigger ones are 300mm/12", and made from Khaya (African Mahogany). The 2 smaller ones are made from some Black Wattle that I cut down on my land.

I finished them as per some advice on another forum, liberally coat with Olive Oil, preheat the oven to 325F, place on a cake rack and put them into the oven for 3 and a half minutes, then take out to cool.
The air expands out of the wood, and as it cools , the oil is drawn in, sealing the wood. I haven't tried this method before, will see how it lasts with regular use.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9662.jpg
    DSC_9662.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC_9660.jpg
    DSC_9660.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 650
  • DSC_9666.jpg
    DSC_9666.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC_9668.jpg
    DSC_9668.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 623
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RVA_Tyndall

These are beautiful. I really like the design. Do you turn the the lower part first? How to you shape the remainder?

I have tried all sorts of methods from a knife to belt sanding to grinders to drill press cutzalls. Haven't found the method that works best for me yet.

https://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/rvatyndall/

Ironwood

These are beautiful. I really like the design. Do you turn the the lower part first? How to you shape the remainder?

I have tried all sorts of methods from a knife to belt sanding to grinders to drill press cutzalls. Haven't found the method that works best for me yet.
Thanks.
I turn the handle end first, and the first inch or two of the taper to the blade end. Then I cut the blade shape on the bandsaw. Then onto the belt sander to clean it up and do the final shaping, then hand sand to finish.
These look great. Since you are going to do more, how about a how-to?
Cheers. I'll see if I can take a few progress pics when I start another lot.

Top Bottom