Who Really Makes Our Pen Kits???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

Ever wonder about that?? There are posts, regularly, on IAP with comments as to the sources of our various pen/pencil/etc kits; but it doesn't seem that anyone really knows for, sure, what is going on and those that might, aren't talking. The two names that get tossed around regularly are Dayacom.....a Chinese company.....that is regularly linked with CSUSA and Rizheng.....another Chinese company.....that is commonly suggested to be the maker of the PSI kits. Additionally, I have seen references to a kit maker located in Taiwan; but don't recall if it has been linked to one of our US importers.

On top of that, I don't recall ever seeing any reference to the source of the kits that Berea sells. Years ago, I remember seeing language in their catalogs that they had their "own" manufacturing facilities; but don't see that language in the current catalog. I am wondering if Berea really does own a facility in the Far East or is just an importer like CSUSA, PSI and others.

It might be interesting to hear what others know or think they know about this situation. A lot of what will be posted will probably be somewhat speculative; but it should be interesting to see what turns up.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!![^]

Rudy Vey

Randy, a bit of research would have shown you that Dayacom is a Taiwanese company:
http://www.dayacom.com.tw/

Rizheng is Chinese, Peoples Republic of China.

I believe that there are quality differences between the two.

Berea had some years ago their Taiwanese manufacturing address on their instruction sheet. I was told by the owner that they have or had their own production in Taiwan.

arioux

Randy,

For what i've seen in time, Dayacom is from Taiwan, and makes or distribure kits to CSUSA and some PSI kit. As a fact, many of PSI are marked Dyacom. Most of the Dyacom kits i have made are good quality.
Rizheng is a Chinese company and from what i have saw and tested myself (200 kits), their kits are on the lower end of the scale. I I tend to associate them with the new PSI funline and CSUSA artisant line, an attemp from both of them to grap the low price market.
Few resellers on Ebay also distrinute Rizheng kits. One of our good reseller lately tryied Rizheng line and drop them.
Berea seems to have their hown line, at leat packaging does not have anything in common with Dayacom ot Rizheng, except for very few models that they state on their site that they did not design.

This is what i know about the manufacturer and it is from my how experience. Other may and will differ.

Alfred

Randy_

Originally posted by Rudy Vey

Randy, a bit of research would have shown you that Dayacom is a Taiwanese company.....

Actually, Rudy, I spent the better part of an hour on the Internet and Google trying to find out about Dayacom and only found a reference to a company in Shanghai. Perhaps if I had searched "Dayacom Industrial" I might have had better luck; but everyone on IAP simply refers to them as Dayacom so I didn't know to search under the other name.

I usually do my homework before posting on IAP and didn't have any luck this time so I decided to start this thread. I don't much appreciate your implication that I didn't do any research; but do thank you for supplying some information I couldn't find through my own efforts.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Randy_

Randy, a bit of research would have shown you that Dayacom is a Taiwanese company.....

Actually, Rudy, I spent the better part of an hour on the Internet and Google trying to find out about Dayacom and only found a reference to a company in Shanghai. Perhaps if I had searched "Dayacom Industrial" I might have had better luck; but everyone on IAP simply refers to them as Dayacom so I didn't know to search under the other name.

I usually do my homework before posting on IAP and didn't have any luck this time so I decided to start this thread. I don't much appreciate your implication that I didn't do any research; but do thank you for supplying some information I couldn't find through my own efforts.

Not sure how you do your research, but if you use google (this is a search engine), you just type in "dayacom pen kits" and it will lead you to them. Also, in the past, I would say some 4-6 month back there was a discussion here on IAP that dealt with the Dayacom topic and there was even an interest group formed for a possible group buy directly from them.

M

Mudder

FWIW,

I just did a google search on dayacom and the first hits were from a company in Tiawan

200855123219_Image3.jpg

Chasper

Randy,
In my day job I have a buying staff in Hong Kong. Last year I asked them to find sources of pen kits. The only two sources they were able to provide were Dayacom and Rizheng. I was skeptical of that response, usually in China the name brand supplier is the marketing agent, or final assembler/packager for components that they acquire from an ever changing list of low bidding sources.

I've always had concerns about working conditions of the people making products for me. For the types of merchandise I normally import it has been very difficult to find the actual manufacturer of all of the components. When I pushed my buyers to find the real sources of the pen kits, they still didn't find anybody else; but I'm still skeptical. I still suspect there are dozens of smaller suppliers involved further up the supply chain.

Rifleman1776

This is only a matter of curiosity. Unless one is trying a start-up with the intention of competing with CS or Berea, the information would be pretty useless. I don't believe saying this company produces better products than the other could be accurate when dealing with Chinese sources. One company may produce several lines with various quality standards. Chasper is closer to what is happening there than the rest of us and still hasn't solved the mystery. We all want better prices but, I believe, we are stuck with what we have for suppliers.

Randy_

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

This is only a matter of curiosity. Unless one is trying a start-up with the intention of competing with CS or Berea, the information would be pretty useless.....

Frank: I'm certainly not planning on starting a new kit importation company. The reason I got interested is as follows. When PSI came out with the Gatsby, I wondered if it was the same kit as Berea's Sierra or whether it was a clone made by another company. Later on, it really surprised me when PSI came out with a click version of the kit when Berea didn't have one. Turned out I was wrong about that part of the situation.....Berea did have a click Sierra, I just missed it.

Any way, as an example, the Berea TiGold Sierra kit(from AS) sells for $16 whereas the PSI Gatsby sells for only $9. If it turns out the kits are made by the same manufacturer and are identical, then the choice of supplier is clear. OTOH, if the two kits are made by different manufacturers and are not identical, then the buyer is left with a decision about which kit is the better value.

wood-of-1kind

What I've been told by a 'good source' is that there is NOT a nice big building (factory) that makes pen kits whether it be for DAYCOM or others. There is 'someone' that has components made by various manufacturers(?) and platers and they merely sub-contract the work out to put them in small polybags and finally group the various kit(s) together. Last year I had my Asian partner visit Rhiezing and there was no manufacturing facilty at their stated address but it was more like an office compound. This is the story that I've been told and I'm comfortable with this version. You are subject to believe otherwise.

Randy_

Originally posted by Mudder

FWIW,

I just did a google search on dayacom and the first hits were from a company in Tiawan.....

Not worth a thing, Scott. I didn't bother to give a full explanation in my first post; but after searching for quite a while on the MSN search engine I switched to Google for a quick check; but my ISP shut me down and I was not able to complete the Google search.

But thanks for the information. Looks like my instinct to check with Google was correct and BTW, the hits appear to be for a company in Taiwan.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

This is only a matter of curiosity. Unless one is trying a start-up with the intention of competing with CS or Berea, the information would be pretty useless.....

Frank: I'm certainly not planning on starting a new kit importation company. The reason I got interested is as follows. When PSI came out with the Gatsby, I wondered if it was the same kit as Berea's Sierra or whether it was a clone made by another company. Later on, it really surprised me when PSI came out with a click version of the kit when Berea didn't have one. Turned out I was wrong about that part of the situation.....Berea did have a click Sierra, I just missed it.

Any way, as an example, the Berea TiGold Sierra kit(from AS) sells for $16 whereas the PSI Gatsby sells for only $9. If it turns out the kits are made by the same manufacturer and are identical, then the choice of supplier is clear. OTOH, if the two kits are made by different manufacturers and are not identical, then the buyer is left with a decision about which kit is the better value.

I can understand that. But, one of the first things I learned when I got caught up in this pen thing is that the major U.S. suppliers keep us off balance as a marketing gimmick. And they do it well. The kits, names and appearances are confusing. My volume is not large enough to make it worth my while to bother trying to unravel the mystery. For some, I'm sure it may make a difference.

curlyjoe

I called Berea this morning. Joe stated they do not sell nor buy from Dayacom or from China. They have a manufacturer in Taiwan that makes their kits.

Chasper

After being heavily involved in importing from Asia for several years, I've gotten to the point where I have my guys there check for almost anything I'm about to spend a good amount of money on. Sometimes I can find products for great prices, sometimes it leads nowhere.

Instead of spending $5-10K a year for pen kits and supplies from domestic sources who are importing them, I thought I might be able to buy them direct for 20-25% of that amount. No luck so far, and it doesn't look promising.

I have absolutely no interest in getting into the pen kit selling business. You guys are way too picky about micro quality details, quick shipping, and lowest prices. Not that those things are not imporatant when you are buying components to manufacture high quality merchandise for resale. But the first time somebody caught me on a bad day with a complaint about a micro flaw in the plating, I'd probably tell them where to put that pen. Then I would be widly and accurately viewed as a grouchy supplier with a nasty attituce. I just wanted to buy kits for at least 75% less than the suppliers usually sell them, then buy twice as many as I need so I can throw away the defective kits and not feel bad about the kits I damage.

So far that hasn't worked out and I'm growing increasingly convinced that we are getting pretty good deals and service from our available domestic distributors.

Rifleman1776

Chasper, even though I laughed at your candor, I do appreciate such honesty. Fortunately, you understand that those (well...a few) here are arteests and finicky beyond description. I do believe that, at the prices the retailers charge, we customers have a right to be fussy.

M

Mudder

FWIW,

I just did a google search on dayacom and the first hits were from a company in Tiawan.....

Not worth a thing, Scott. I didn't bother to give a full explanation in my first post; but after searching for quite a while on the MSN search engine I switched to Google for a quick check; but my ISP shut me down and I was not able to complete the Google search.

But thanks for the information. Looks like my instinct to check with Google was correct and BTW, the hits appear to be for a company in Taiwan.

Randy,

It looks like you cannot keep your facts straight. A few minutes after 8:00 you posted this:

After Rudy pointed out your mistake you sarcastically went on to tell us how well you do your "homework":

And when I posted proof of a google search you conveniently change your story:

FWIW,

Perhaps if you would have told Rudy in the beginning that your google search had been shut down things would have gone differently.

BTW: I did a yahoo search and it showed up on the first page. Being that Yahoo and Google are most likely the two most well known search engines they would have been my first choice.

Have a nice day :D

jcollazo

The company that Berea uses is GE-Products in Taiwan. Last October I contacted them about their pen kits and boxes. The reply I got was from them was this:

Dear Joe,

Our office in Taiwan forwarded your request for information to us. We would be happy to talk with you about any of your needs. Please feel free to contact me at anytime.

Jim
James J. Heusinger, President
The Berea Hardwoods Co. Inc.

I just went to the GE website and by using Google Translate all I could figure out was that they're updating the website. Also, I can't tell if GE or Taiwan Giftware ( http://www.taiwangiftware.com ) is the parent company or ...???

It's not real difficult finding the players. It's having the money to order the minimum quantities. The minimums range from 500 to 2000 units per kit, per plating. Also, if the kit is an "exclusive" like the Statesman, we may not be able to purchase directly. Even this has a workaround but it requires more time and money. Face it, unless someone is able to invest $50K to $150K in a project like this, very little will happen.

I've been happy purchasing my basic quantity needs from Rizheng and using the savings to go for the higher end kits at CSUSA, Berea, etc.

SuperDave

Originally posted by DocStram

<center>How about them Pirates!!! ;):D:D</center>

Would that be the Taiwan Pirates or the Hong Kong Pirates?

I think the Taiwan Pirates are a better ball club but then the Hong Kong Pirates have better uni's. From what I have been able to find out, the Taiwan team is actually a farm team for the Hong Kong Pirates, or the Asian Little League, but I cannot confirm that for certain.;)

Who cares, they are all Pirates.[}:)]

Rifleman1776

Recent television news and documentary shows talking about the manufacturing boom in China (including Taiwan and Hong Cong) pointed out that much of the 'manufacturing' is done by cottage industries. Meaning that a family can earn money doing one small part of a larger process. Financially, this has been a boon for both the families and factories. Downside is that there are no safety or environmental controls. Some predict an environmental disaster down the road with chemicals being dumped indiscriminately. This may be why no single pen kit factory has been found. The work may be done at a score of huts out in the countryside then simply packed and shipped from a central office. Who knows?

Rudy Vey

Today I called Berea and spoke with Jim Heusinger. Berea is not using pen kits made by either Dayacom or Rizheng! They have their own production and suppliers in Taiwan. Although some pens look alike and also have the same name at the Dayacom site (like Sierra or Convertible) these kits are not Berea. The names are not protected, so if you make a pen kit that looks like a Sierra (and uses the same size tubes, bushings, drill bits) I guess you can name it Sierra. Jim mentioned that the price difference we see on some very similar pen kits comes from the quality of the plating. He stressed that for example Black Titanium is very expensive and, therefore, the cost is different as well. Some "other" black colored Titanium coatings are not even near the Berea quality, they are more like "gunmetal".

BruceK

So while Berea is not using kits made by Dayacom since they have their own production and suppliers, is it possible that Dayacom is using some of the same suppliers that Berea has? [?] Oooh this all makes my head hurt!

arioux

Originally posted by Russianwolf

As a side note, I was just on Dayacom's site and they now have a link to CSUSA and it looks like all of the "exclusive" kits for them are gone.

Hi,

The link says for "retailer" visit CSUSA and i went thru the site and all CSUSA high end kits are still there.

Alfred

Russianwolf

Originally posted by arioux

Originally posted by Russianwolf

As a side note, I was just on Dayacom's site and they now have a link to CSUSA and it looks like all of the "exclusive" kits for them are gone.

Hi,

The link says for "retailer" visit CSUSA and i went thru the site and all CSUSA high end kits are still there.

Alfred
The first time I looked at Dayacom's site several months ago (before the start of the Elegant Beauty Thread), The Dayacom site had several kits that looked identical to the upper end CSUSA kits but with differing names. I don't see them on the site any longer and now there is a link to CSUSA on the site, which I don't recall before.

My thinking is that CSUSA got wind of the kits being on the site and told them to remove them since they had an exclusive deal on those kits.

Yes the kits are available through CSUSA, but the kits were on Dayacom's site before and now they aren't. The Imperial is one that I distinctly recall seeing.

arioux

Hi,

The Imperial is now called the Bamboo on Dayacom site.
Funny thing, the imperial description on CSUSA site start with :
"Bamboo</u> leaf carvings found on the Imperial " [:eek:)]

I think they put the link to CSUSA because they where receiveing too much inquiry for small quantity wich they don't want to deal with and send them back to their main retailer.

Alfred

Russianwolf

Okay, I'll go hide in a corner for a while. (Howd I miss that tab?)[B)]

But my memory is still working, they used to be mixed in with the other kits, and that link wasn't there. :D

jcollazo

If I could chime in.... there is no point to this thread. It seems Randy was just pondering who are (is) the grand wazoos of pen kit manufacturing. Even if this elusive creature were to be found, what would it mean? Would we do a group buy direct from them for what? 500-600 kits? We've had several threads regarding this issue in the past year. Unless we (IAP Members Inc.) are willing fork over the BIG bucks, deal with the legalities, quality control, R&D, and everything else that goes into bringing a product out at a good price, it's best to deal with who we have now. Aaron has been introducing some new kits and the group buys are a great way to save money.
I've tried, in my way, to look for the best prices and kits from overseas and I just can't put out that much money and time.

thetalbott4

I dont know that there was ever a real purpose to this thread other than curiosity. I have wondered the same thing - where do the kits come from, given that so many are alike, but have different names and prices. I guess this is how the cat got killed.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by thetalbott4

I dont know that there was ever a real purpose to this thread other than curiosity. I have wondered the same thing - where do the kits come from, given that so many are alike, but have different names and prices. I guess this is how the cat got killed.

Hey, stop with the cat hating!! :D;) I'm going to report you to PETA as soon as I finish my bacon sandwich, put on my leather shoes and hang up my fur coat!!! :D[}:)];)

arioux

And turn a snake skin pen!!!.:D:D

As for the use of this thread, this is casual conversation, off-topics and gerneral chat wich i think we are doing rignt now, plus a little humour with CAV. Beside, i think that interesting information for some (mabe not for others but we are not at the same level) can emerge from those thread.

Alfred

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DocStram

<center>How about them Pirates!!! ;):D:D</center>

As of this morning Al, the Pirates are in bad shape. 12 wins, 19 losses, 8 games behind. [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom