Who Really Makes Our Pen Kits???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Some of you folks give me way too much credit and other not nearly enough.

The primary point of my starting this thread was money. But curiosity was a factor as well as the hope that some of the confusion and misinformation floating around in the pencrafting community might be resolved.

The main impetus for starting this thread was the simple question on my part of whether the Gatsby pen kit at $9.00 from PSI was a better choice that the similarly plated Sierra from AS for $16.00. if both kits were made by the same company, chances are the cheaper kit would be the better deal. If the kits were made by different companies, the possibility of that quality differences existed that might justify the price differential. And that is exactly what was pointed out in Rudy's post below.

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
.....Jim mentioned that the price difference we see on some very similar pen kits comes from the quality of the plating.....

From my original post:

Originally posted by Randy_
.....It might be interesting to hear what others know or think they know about this situation. A lot of what will be posted will probably be somewhat speculative; but it should be interesting to see what turns up......

Prophetic.......there certainly has been a lot of interesting and useful information posted and the details of who manufactures what has certainly been clarified. Thanks.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I have learned a bunch from this thread. I now know that the Keebler elves, originally from Pittsburgh have moved to either Taiwan, or China and are manufacturing pen kits in small cottages...Its a small world after all.....

In my previous life, I did regular exports to various Chinese companies.. fortunately, I was dealing with my local customer, a Chinese national who had become an American citizen, but still traveled to China regularly to handle his business... even he had trouble sometimes knowing exactly who he was dealing with... one of his favorite express was " F------ Chinese, it's like a Chinese fire drill over there."

So much of the export and import business is under government sactions and entities, we probably will never know who actually sits at a machine and manufactures a particular part. Business names often tended to be two lines long.

Randy_

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Al, since you are all smart and all, can you help me to understand the point of this thread??[8][?]

Hey "Cav", you are one of the masters of pointless posts here at IAP. Hardly seems like you should need any help from Al in understanding the concept;)

jcollazo

Originally posted by GaryMGg

Y'all are wayyyyy off point; the real question should be "Who's making the polybags?!?!?" That's the guy making all the real money :D [:eek:)][:p][:p]:D

Probably the same guy who makes all those oil barrels the Arabs sell;)

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_

Al, since you are all smart and all, can you help me to understand the point of this thread??[8][?]

Hey "Cav", you are one of the masters of pointless posts here at IAP. Hardly seems like you should need any help from Al in understanding the concept;)

LOL,

Actually, Randy, I consider you far out of my league when it comes to pointless posts! :D;)

Is there a point to all of this or are we just padding our post counts? [:0]

Ever wonder about that?? There are posts, regularly, on IAP with comments as to the sources of our various pen/pencil/etc kits; but it doesn't seem that anyone really knows for, sure, what is going on and those that might, aren't talking. The two names that get tossed around regularly are Dayacom.....a Chinese company.....that is regularly linked with CSUSA and Rizheng.....another Chinese company.....that is commonly suggested to be the maker of the PSI kits. Additionally, I have seen references to a kit maker located in Taiwan; but don't recall if it has been linked to one of our US importers.

On top of that, I don't recall ever seeing any reference to the source of the kits that Berea sells. Years ago, I remember seeing language in their catalogs that they had their "own" manufacturing facilities; but don't see that language in the current catalog. I am wondering if Berea really does own a facility in the Far East or is just an importer like CSUSA, PSI and others.

It might be interesting to hear what others know or think they know about this situation. A lot of what will be posted will probably be somewhat speculative; but it should be interesting to see what turns up.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!![^]
I'm late to this thread but very interested in the topic so please bear with me.
As a UK member I do my best to avoid buying anything made in China. Quality is poor and politically their human rights record is appalling . We pen turning enthusiasts should do our best to encourage manufacture to a high standard in the USA and Europe. If we make a big enough noise someone will eventually take note.

penicillin

Since this thread was resurrected, I want to add a comment. I buy pen kits at the local Rockler to save on shipping. It is my belief that the pen kits sold by Rockler come from multiple sources.

Here is one example:
Rockler sells various "Manhattan" and "Gatsby" pen kits. They look nearly identical in appearance, but their twist mechanisms are different, and Rockler sells spare pen tubes for each pen kit as separate items:
https://www.rockler.com/manhattan-pen-tubes-5-pack
https://www.rockler.com/replacement-tubes-for-gatsby-pen-kits-2-pack

At the time, the Manhattan tubes were far less expensive than their current price and the individual tube price was lower, so I bought the five-pack of Manhattan tubes expecting to use them on both Manhattan and Gatsby kits in case of a blow-up or other pre-assembly failure.

The pen tubes for the two kits appear to be identical, and I didn't worry about mixing them up. In actual fact, they are extremely close, but not quite the same, which I discovered on pen assembly. When I assembled a Gatsby pen with a Manhattan tube, everything was fine, except that the pen kit parts were loose enough that I could press them in with my hands. A couple drops of CA fixed that pen, but I learned a valuable lesson. It is my belief that the Manhattan and Gatsby pen kits sold by Rockler come from two different factories.

jttheclockman

I should say resurrected. 13 years ago. So much has changed. Would be better to start a new thread if interested. There also have been threads on this topic since this one. Many new players as vendors but where they get them may be hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom