What's your poison?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Canadian Mist over ice with a splash of water, why anyone would waste good whiskey by adding coke is beyond me. My son puts coke with Makers Mark! I just didn't raise him right! Penleton whiskey is good also, or Sorby's Scotch. Beer, MGB for me. I found when I have it I don't have to worry about others drinking my beer.

DurocShark

Better to not mix them Jeff, especially when they accidentally meet for the first time! :beat-up:

Yup. I know this from experience. Ugh. I'm glad I finally got married (at 20) so I wouldn't have to deal with that mess anymore. :biggrin:

Rfturner

As far as my drink
I like to mix about 1/4 - 1/3 of the cup I am using with sierra Mist and the rest is lipton rasberry ice tea. It gives the iced tea a little carbonation but does not take away from the flavor. It is by far one of my favorite things to drink it is right up there with water.

I do not drink alcohol for several reasons, the biggest is that I am 20, the others are personal choices because of aunts and uncles. No prob with anyone else having any though. I do use alcohol sometimes for cooking purposes as it brings out the flavor.

jocat54

Coffee in the mornings and evenings--iced tea during the day with an occassional Pepsi--crown & coke a couple of times a year. Can't handle the morning after anymore.

heinedan

Poison

My poison is either Leinenkugel beer or Myers Rum and Coca Cola. Appleton Estates Rum takes a close second to Myers. I love Jamaican rum!!

Dan

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Canadian Mist over ice with a splash of water, why anyone would waste good whiskey by adding coke is beyond me. My son puts coke with Makers Mark!

Oh Paul, you just committed a mortal sin here in Kentucky. Reffering to Maker's as a whiskey. People have been known to get shot for this around these parts.:wink:

LEAP

Green tea over ice most of the time, Glen Livet or Makers Mark when relaxing. Though I have been know to hit the Bombay and tonic or Herra Durra Margaritas when it's hot.

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Used to be The Dalmore Cigar Malt, but it's been discontinued! Dang it! :mad:

I prefer Highland Malts (NOT Islays or Speysides!) and the darker and less peatty the better, imo! If you want PEATTY, well, Campho-Phenique is CHEAP!

Currently stocked are Glenfiddich 12 and the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban...neat or over ice depending on the weather.

I don't drink much beer anymore, but my favorite would have to be 1554 Black Ale mixed with Woodchuck Cider (usually raspberry or pear but I'll settle for apple every now and then). They say you're supposed to use Guiness for a true Snakebite, but if I'm gonna drink motor oil I prefer Pennzoil! :wink:

Ducking for cover from the "true" scotch drinkers now!

I'm not a big drinking man, but do imbibe occasionally... preference is Canadian Mist over ice and topped with 7up. A 12 pack of beer can last me all summer, but for that I like a Nicaraguan beer call Caguama... or as we refer to it most of the time, Turtle beer... only place I can find it is at Kroger's... it's more of a light ale than a beer, but sure is smooth.

If I can't get that, then I like Modello Negra, Dos equis or Tecate. Don't like American beers at all.

phillywood

Don, congrats I bet you all these members dont' even confess to their parents like this. now it's in writing and on the Web.:tongue::biggrin::biggrin:
Just hope this doesn't get out though.:eek:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
We're kinda spoiled here .. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters has some
pretty decent stuff. Even the gas stations have good coffee here!

GaryMGg

For the Rum drinkers, what's a good rum.
My wife likes fruity rum drinks typically run thru the blender, so it doesn't have to be great.
I just don't want to buy her rot-gut rum. :wink:

panini

Casual
Jackw/ a ice cube

Occasional
Glenlivet 18 Year Old neat
Courvosier VSOP

at work....pepsi...

first thing in the morning....gotta have at least 4 cups of coffee..

For the Rum drinkers, what's a good rum.
My wife likes fruity rum drinks typically run thru the blender, so it doesn't have to be great.
I just don't want to buy her rot-gut rum. :wink:

I don't know any good rums, not a rum drinker mysefl, my wife used to drink Bacardi... one I will recommend NOT to drink, I brought home a bottle from Trinidad once that everyone of my clients in Trinidad said was their premium and best rum ever..........NOT NOT NOT NOT..... paint thinner would have tasted better. I hauled that bottle all the way from Trinidad back to Houston, ran it through customs and poured it out after one sip... can't give you the name though.. it ate through the brain and I've forgotten... White something or other...

DurocShark

Gary,

I do the spiced rums usually... Captain Morgans, Kraken (my new favorite), and so on. Unspiced, I like Meyers dark.

WriteON

Renewing old thread. This thread will never expire. Lately being diabetic it's Krombacher Pils. Extremely low carbs but extremely over priced. Funky balance huh.

monophoto

In the morning, I like a dark roast coffee. If possible, espresso or French. From noon on, it's tea - hot in the winter, and iced in the summer (sweet - I'm from the south).

As to alcohol, my most common tipple is a 'big red' wine - Cabernet, zinfandel, etc. My doctor's records show that red wine and dark chocolate are among by routine medications! I do enjoy a beer with a good burger or fried oyster dinner, but that's rarely more than two or three times a year. But I'm not a heavy drinker - outside of social occasions, I limit myself to one glass a day.

On really special occasions, I do enjoy a neat single malt or cognac after dinner.

Humongous

Eagle Rare neat when I can find it. Otherwise it's something from Black Button Distilling a local farm to bottle craft distillery here in Rochester, NY. Their Burbon Cream is phenomenal.

MRDucks2

I admit my main drinks are water, Diet Dr. Pepper and Tea (not sweet tea).

Beer - I am fine with Coors Light, but any domestic will do. Just not much of a craft beer fan. Dos Equis Amber is good, too. Tecate if you can find it isn't bad but not as good as it was in Mexico for 35 cents a bottle back in the day.

Whiskey - George Dickel is the only whisky really worth drinking, but I am willing to try others. When it isn't available I will fall back to Makers Mark. On the rocks, though I have drank Diet Dr. Dickel. If it is too loud for the wait staff to hear you can always yell 7&7 and they understand.

WriteON

I see coffee got tossed in here. That's a separate subject…..
The thread asks what's your poison. Literally it would JTS Brown. It relates to billiards. I had to buy a case to get one bottle. I gave most to my pool buddies. It was $9 tax/shipping included. That was about 20 years ago. It's a room prop. The only way the bottle gets open is if I drop it.

Curly

I like a scratch made Cocao in the morning.......my breakfast. 😋

Imbibing only a couple three times a month my go to hard beverage is Wiser's Delux (a Rye Whiskey) and...... wait for it....Pepsi. Lately I have been drinking a little of a local family distillery's Rye, SE Eleven with an ice cube or two. Too $$$$ for more than a sip here and there. 😉 Wine and Cider make up the rest as needed.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Life's too short to drink cheap liquor...and ice or water should never be part of the equation.

I like Oban little bay - better even than Oban 14. Lagavulin 16 is also quite excellent. Bourbons can be nice as well - Maker's Mark 46 or Colonel E.H..Taylor are my favourites. For wine, I like Cotes du Rhone or Bordeaux reds. I drink coffee like it's water - and like my whiskey, I like it with nothing added.

jttheclockman

OK being this thread is alive once again, this would be a good place to ask all you Alcoholics a question.🤣 I have mentioned this many times already that my kitchen is being redone so I have been cleaning out all the cupboards and things so they can rip out. I had a small little cabinet that was like a small bar area. I am doing away with this for I gave up basically all alcohol drinking after my heart episodes. On occasion I may grab a beer.

My findings in this cabinet were bottles of unopened liquor that I had gotten from job sites and friends when they come over throughout the years. Now some of these bottles have to be over 20 years old because they were well in the back. I am talking whisky's such as Segrams, Johnny Walker and many more. Probably about 10 bottles of this stuff there. Seals are all intact. Question is there a shelf life on this stuff? Should I just pour down the drain. I would take into NY and find the nearest bum on the street but that will not happen.😀Besides I do not want to kill them. What say you?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Unopened distilled liquor can last many, many years...many whiskeys and whiskys are aged in barrel for a decade or more. That being said, they don't continue to age in the bottle - so while your liquor might still taste good, it won't taste any better than it did when it went in the bottle...and it might taste worse if it's been stored in sunlight. (So your 8 year old Jack Daniels is still just an 8 year old Jack).

If I found some in the back of the cabinet, and if they were sealed, good quality whiskey's and whisky's are something I'd certainly try...but perhaps in an old fashioned or something like that. If anything, the flavours are going to be dulled with age. It wouldn't be something I'd share with a guest.

Heat can cause a small amount to evaporate (even if sealed with a cork) so you might have lost some to the 'Angel's share'.

While I wouldn't hesitate to open a sealed bottle of whiskey, I wouldn't drink anything that old that is a cream-based liquor or anything with a lower alcohol percentage than 40.

That being said, since you don't drink, John, I'd suggest you have a whole lot of good drain cleaner! :)

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Unopened distilled liquor can last many, many years...many whiskeys and whiskys are aged in barrel for a decade or more. That being said, they don't continue to age in the bottle - so while your liquor might still taste good, it won't taste any better than it did when it went in the bottle...and it might taste worse if it's been stored in sunlight. (So your 8 year old Jack Daniels is still just an 8 year old Jack).

If I found some in the back of the cabinet, and if they were sealed, good quality whiskey's and whisky's are something I'd certainly try...but perhaps in an old fashioned or something like that. If anything, the flavours are going to be dulled with age. It wouldn't be something I'd share with a guest.

Heat can cause a small amount to evaporate (even if sealed with a cork) so you might have lost some to the 'Angel's share'.

While I wouldn't hesitate to open a sealed bottle of whiskey, I wouldn't drink anything that old that is a cream-based liquor or anything with a lower alcohol percentage than 40.

That being said, since you don't drink, John, I'd suggest you have a whole lot of good drain cleaner! :)
That is what I am thinking too.

monophoto

Mostly wine these days - I prefer a 'big red' (and my doctor has it listed among my daily medications - along with a bit of dark chocolate).

But on cold winter nights, I can enjoy sipping a neat scotch. Don't get a lot of single malt, but my taste tends to favor Talisker.

farmer

I am Diabetic I only drink water coffee or tea ,
Lic Grower in the State of Nevada, Rather smoke then drink .

Top Bottom