Walnut Burl Veneer Tables

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimMc7

JimMc7

Need a place by the recliner to sit a "Pepsi" at my son's house so made a couple of small tables from walnut & walnut burl veneer. I really like veneering. Neat to take a piece of MDF and add a nice wood grain to it. I probably couldn't find and surely couldn't afford a piece of solid wood with such interesting features. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_5246.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_5245.jpg
    IMG_5245.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great job! I've dabbled with veneer with poor results. Despite veneer softener, it still cracks when I try to apply it, so I'm clearly missing something.

1dweeb

Great job with the tables. The veneer work looks good as do the dovetail joints. As someone who does veneer work from time to time I can say that the result was worth the effort. I am curious about your technique to glue the veneer to the substrate in as much as I have used a couple different methods and wonder what your preferred method is.

JimMc7

<snip> I am curious about your technique to glue the veneer to the substrate in as much as I have used a couple different methods and wonder what your preferred method is.

I use vacuum pump & bag (joewoodworker.com "Project EVS" kit). I usually use MDF as a substrate but will use baltic birch plywood instead if I need support for screws in the project. I always use backer veneer on both MDF & BB plywood. Some say not necessary to use backer veneer for the plywood but backer veneer is relatively cheap and I don't want to risk warping. Better Bond Veneer Glue from veneersupplies is the glue I prefer. I roll out the glue, use blue painter's tape to keep the veneer in place and put the backer veneer/substrate/show veneer sandwich between cauls in the bag. Cauls are MDF with high pressure laminate on the inside face and grooves cut on the outside to help channel air to the stem. Many prefer breather mesh instead of a top caul but I like top/bottom cauls better even though they are a pain to make & store. IME, breather mesh impresses a pattern on the veneer which must be sanded. I usually press the veneer for 1.5 to 2 hours.

I recommend joewoodworker.com for anyone interested in veneering.

Attachments

• IMG_8473.jpg
    IMG_8473.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 114

paps

Nice work. You just can't get furniture made that well anymore unless you're willing to pay dearly for it. Great job!

1dweeb

Thanks for sharing. I read an article in an old fine woodworking magazine a while back that told about veneering with an iron and titebond 2 glue. It was showing how to veneer on curved surfaces. I tried it on a small project and was very impressed with the outcome. I tried it on a larger project and was still impressed with the ease and speed of the veneer work. Thanks again for sharing.

Top Bottom