Maple Burl Humidor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Halfcaff

Halfcaff

This is the third humidor that I have made. The box is made out of birch ply and covered in maple burl veneer. It is lined with Spanish cedar. The finish is 15 coats of wipe on glossy poly sanded between the coats.

As far as a humidor it is excellent. The seal is perfect. I have since added a humidifier and hygrometer into the lid. It holds the desired 70% humidity. It will hold between 50-60 cigars based on the size.

I was offered $400 at a local cigar store for the humidor but I am going to keep this one. Thanks for looking and letting me know what you think.

Caleb

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 860
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 682
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 517
  • finishedhumidor.jpg
    finishedhumidor.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Man, im jealous. I can't make anything unless it is round. That is beautiful. Make some more and post them.

Halfcaff

Asbolutely stunning. The bookmatching is perfect.
Did you vacuum press the veneer or make your own clamping mechanism?

I made my own clamp. I made sure the veneer was where I wanted it then I clamped it down. I cut a piece of plywood to distribute the weight and used about 60 pounds of free weights.

Due to the nature of burl, it was very wavy and bumpy when I bought it. Before I could do anything with it I had to soften and flaten it. They make a veneer softener with a watered down glue and volatile liquid that you soak the veneer in then press it. I was then able to cut it to size when it was good and flat.

Halfcaff

Here is the finished humidor with the humidification, hygrometer and shelf.....plus a few good sticks. It still holds a perfect 70% humidity. I want to build another!

Attachments

• finishedhumidor.jpg
    finishedhumidor.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 224

Halfcaff

Does anyone know a better way to finish Burl? I used wipe on poly....a lot of wipe on poly but it is not a glass smooth finish. I have never tried shellac or epoxy. Any experience or suggestions? Thanks

hewunch

If you sanded between all the coats that could be your problem. You have to build up a base. You could lacquer. Epoxy would be very durable, but you should still lacquer over it.

Dana Fish

Wow very jealous. During your next build you should make a mini tutorial. I would interested in the reading of it. Not that my skills are capable for making such a thing of beauty. Great Job!

islandturner

"I was offered $400 at a local cigar store for the humidor but I am going to keep this one..."

I am not surprised at this... Stunning....!

TexasTaxi

VERY nice!

Did you build the trays, too?
A humidor is on my list of "stuff I'd like to build for myself but will never have time".

paps

I made a couple of humidors a few years ago, but they do not compare to yours... Outstanding!

Top Bottom