Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Pen 13

Votes: 26 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
A great big round of applause for the kids who entered the contest this year. Great Pens from all of you. There are some great prizes to be given away this year but the best prize is the time spent together. Im proud to be a part of it. We have 13 entrees and its going to be tough, we have some really good talent out there in our younger turners. But you will have to choose one of them. We will have one poll to trim it down to 5 and then a final poll to pick the winning Pens. All the kids are winners!
On to the pens

Pen 1
Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl on an Executive
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen 2
Chrome kit with an inlace acrylester blank. Bxxx picked the blank and drilled it herself. She did most of the turning herself with a guiding hand from had.. She did all the sanding and dad did the buffing.

attachment.php

Pen 3

Handcrafted pen by 9 year old using a satin slimline pen kit. The pen was turned on his Dad's mini lathe.

attachment.php

Pen 4
Cxxxxx gets a big kick out of matching blanks and hardware. He picked another great combination with this satin gold slimline kit dressed up with a green speckled corian blank. This is Cxxxxx's third pen to date

attachment.php

Pen 5
Acrylic on a Cigar

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen 6

Cherry pits in red resin turned and placed on a Le Roi Elegant. This kid wanted to prove that cherry pits could be turned by a kid.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen 7

Sxxxxx chose a "Juiced Up" blank from TurnTex Woodworks. Dad set up the blanks and provided assistance at the new lathe. She did most of the turning and all of the sanding and finishing. She has been working with me in the shop since she was around 3 and has turned a number of pens and other projects she is getting better each time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen 8

This pen is M3 Damascus Steel on Executive pen components. The blank was chosen because of the cool swirls and contrasts. Thank you!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen 9

Handmade Polymer Clay - Turtles & Starfish on a Virage

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Pen 10

Lxxxx picked the blank and helped drill it. We turned the blanks together and he helped sand. Dad buffed the blanks. Lxxxx helped press the pen together.

attachment.php

Pen 11

This is Axxx's very first pen. It is a light mint green corian blank wrapped around a satin gold slimline kit. as she was turning it (with dads help) she said it was the best day of her life.

attachment.php

Pen 12

As I was looking at the Russ Fairfield entries from 2013 Exxxx proclaimed that he wanted to make a Fat Line for the youth category this year. He came out to the shop with me and picked out a Padauk blank and a piece of Flamed Box Elder for the center band. He matched the blank up with a satin chrome Slim Line kit. He chose to stay away from gluing his fingers to the pen with CA and finish it with some home brew friction polish. This marks the third pen that Exxxx has turned since his entry in last years BASH.

attachment.php

Pen 13

Dxxxxx wanted to turn a celtic knot, so we spent a day in the shop preparing several blanks. She completed her Celtic Knot Cigar the next day. Dakota did not operate the table saw, but she did assist in the design and sizing of the inlays, and the assembly of the blanks. She used the band saw with a sled to cut her blank to length, and she did the drilling on the drill press. I assisted with trimming after she glued the tubes in, and she handled the turning, sanding, and finishing. I am very proud of the turning skill she has developed!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ls14 1.jpg
    ls14 1.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 1,635
  • ls14 2.jpg
    ls14 2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 2,080
  • ls14 3.jpg
    ls14 3.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 1,648
  • ssch10 1.JPG
    ssch10 1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,204
  • CAM00063.jpg
    CAM00063.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 1,251
  • wdwzd9 1.jpg
    wdwzd9 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,266
  • ls26.JPG
    ls26.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 1,144
  • ls28.JPG
    ls28.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • ls30.JPG
    ls30.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,176
  • z48 1.JPG
    z48 1.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 2,881
  • z48 2.JPG
    z48 2.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 5,880
  • z48 3.JPG
    z48 3.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 2,549
  • clb9 1.JPG
    clb9 1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • clb9 2.JPG
    clb9 2.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,085
  • clb9 3.JPG
    clb9 3.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,105
  • ls12 1.jpg
    ls12 1.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 1,493
  • ls12 2.jpg
    ls12 2.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,507
  • ls12 3.jpg
    ls12 3.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 2,001
  • ssch7 1.JPG
    ssch7 1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,318
  • wdwzd 2.jpg
    wdwzd 2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • wdwzd11 1.jpg
    wdwzd11 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,083
  • z47 2.JPG
    z47 2.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 2,957
  • z47 3.JPG
    z47 3.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,842
  • dk 1.jpg
    dk 1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,479
  • dk 2.jpg
    dk 2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,495
  • dk 3.jpg
    dk 3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,427
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I'm going to have to spend some time thinking about this before I vote. I was tempted to hit the vote button on each one, they are all so good. Right now I've got my list of favorites narrowed down to 13. :wink: I'll have to look at them a couple more times before I can narrow that list down any more.

Ed

I have applaud all of you for doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work. I pray you enjoyed making you pen and thank you for sharing it with us.

A Good Luck to all of you.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What ever looks like the best pen to you. Some go by looks, others by degree of dificulty, some use a dart board or random number generator.

plano_harry

All these entries are very fine work. In that respect all are winners - not in the since of we can't hurt anyone's feelings, but in the since that these folks have all demonstrated that they can make first class pens and have a lifetime of enjoyment and income if they choose. Something that took me 60 years to discover! I was torn between the pen I most wanted and the one that would have been the most difficult.

Couldn't go with random number generator since that has not worked out well for me in Daily Trivia -- and I deserve to win!

Congrats to all the entrants.

Harry

Argo13

Spectacular guys and gals! This is not an easy desicion. I wish someone would have shown me this when I was your age.

All the kids and parents should be proud.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I voted - but it was sure tough.
For each pen, I was thinking - "boy, I wish I could do that"
Congratulations to all of you - great work! and the best part is sharing the hobby with mom or dad! That makes everyone a winner.
Ed

darrin1200

Hard to choose. They are all so well done, that I had to start picking on things I would expect from an older more experienced turner.

Well done to all.

Marnat3

Very nice job guys and girls. Each one gets my vote.
As said before got to look a couple times to narrow the field. Tough choice.

Penl8the

Wow they aar absolutely beautiful. I wish I could do that when I was their age. Good job. You all are already winners in my opinion.

Marko50

I'd say all of these kids are well on their way to being "masters" at the craft of turning! Excellent, everyone of them.

Nick

How do all these 9-year-olds make nicer pens than I do? Those are all really fine pens, and they should be proud.

The don't, I would guess that 98% of the work is done by one adult, this is what makes it so hard to pick one.

Ed who cares! the quality time that is spent with the kids is worth way more than winning.
Ed could you honestly say, if your child entered a pen, you would have nothing to do with it? I do not think so. let the kids alone and let them enjoy the pen making process and the time spent with their parents learning something useful, they will remember the experience for a lifetime. INHO all of the entrants are WINNERS if for nothing else just entering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom