Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Pen 12

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • Pen 13

Votes: 26 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edstreet

How do all these 9-year-olds make nicer pens than I do? Those are all really fine pens, and they should be proud.

The don't, I would guess that 98% of the work is done by one adult, this is what makes it so hard to pick one.

I am quite offended on behalf of my daughters. They spent a lot of time and effort on their pens. Yes, I helped them, but that is what this is about! How dare you state more negativity and attack yet another thread?

that's not negative nor is it an attack.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

It was super hard to pick one,they are all winners in my book.

I envy all the parents with their kids that get to spend quality time out in the shop making precious memories together.I think that's really neat.

A family that turns together, stays together.

The future of the IAP sure looks bright!

Steve

Nice materiel selection. It appears that these kids can take direction, read a pair of calipers, and have the patience to get the fit and finish right. It was a bit of a tough decision. In the end I had to go with the one that I would like to own.

woodwzrd

How do all these 9-year-olds make nicer pens than I do? Those are all really fine pens, and they should be proud.

The don't, I would guess that 98% of the work is done by one adult, this is what makes it so hard to pick one.

Then maybe you should not guess Ed. I have three kids that have entries in this category and I can tell you with out doubt that 2 of the 3 put a minimum of 80% of the work into their entries. The third child need a little more guidance because of a tremendous lack of experience but she still did a minimum of 50% of the work.

I have only visited 3 of the polls so far and you have posted snide comments in 2 of the 3. I think you need to find something more constructive to do with your time.

Way to be a source of encouragement for these kids.

lyonsacc

I am quite offended on behalf of my daughters. They spent a lot of time and effort on their pens. Yes, I helped them, but that is what this is about! How dare you state more negativity and attack yet another thread?

I'd agree w/ Eric & Scott. You've guessed wrong Ed.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its time to let it go Gentlemen. The spirit and goal of the competition is to involve your children with you and to have a fun time. We all know that the children entering need some guidance, how much varies with each child. Thats OK. Safety and fun is what its all about. Lets return our comments to encouragement for the kids and the pens they entered.

edstreet

Well then give me something else to vote on, after all I did ask on the first post a question . The 98% comment is the extreme case, the other extreme would be like 2%, both average out to around 50% which is where the bulk will likely fall into, already one person mentioned 50%. It's statistics plain and simple, it's not an insult, a snide remark, insulting or anything of that nature at all.

I am also sure that each entry had enjoyment in doing the projects but from a voting side I am having a very hard time picking one entry or even figuring out what to base the vote on. There are to many variables at play that does not select any clear entry and that makes things very hard.

Wow!! I would bet that there were a couple that went down to the wire getting their entry in and unfortunately I may be down to the wire trying to pick just one...

Congrats to all of the entrys and the parents that got to spend some quality time with their kids. It may not seem like much to them now but years from now they will bring it up and will have remembered this time.

Mike

alphageek

Former Moderator
Well then give me something else to vote on, after all I did ask on the first post a question . The 98% comment is the extreme case, the other extreme would be like 2%, both average out to around 50% which is where the bulk will likely fall into, already one person mentioned 50%. It's statistics plain and simple, it's not an insult, a snide remark, insulting or anything of that nature at all.

I am also sure that each entry had enjoyment in doing the projects but from a voting side I am having a very hard time picking one entry or even figuring out what to base the vote on. There are to many variables at play that does not select any clear entry and that makes things very hard.

No-one every said choosing was easy. But it goes like this. You can read the rules, you can see the pens - do like everyone else and just choose the one you want to vote for. There is no rules around how you choose to vote (other than you only get 1 vote).

Oh, and FYI - your "guess" was making assumptions that were insulting. Saying that it wasn't insulting does not make it so.

Nick

Maybe some need to see the joy on the kids faces when they hold up their completed masterpiece.

You have hit the nail on the head! Those that have not had the experience of seeing the joy and excitement of seeing the faces of the child's faces is missing something. I am 71 years old and seeing and helping one of my 7 grand children make is first pen 3 years ago was something I will never forget. His mother took photos of the process and had it made into a book form. Something I will treasure forever.
Ed nobody cares about your percentages or your evaluation just stop and ask yourself what have I done to the kids that entered and their self esteem.
I can not wait till my other grand kids are able to stand up at the lathe and create their masterpieces.
Respectfully

jimjam66

Truly lovely pens - anyone would be proud to produce them, let alone youngsters! Just for clarification, did the kid who turned Pen 9 also make the blank? If so - Wow! Well done you!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

that's not negative nor is it an attack.

In my opinion, It is negative and it is an attack and I ask you to stop sucking the joy out of a contest we specifically designed for the enjoyment of youngsters and to encourage them.

The rules state "Adults may assist in the turning of the pen but the entrants must have 'hands on' in the making of the pen." Any reasonable person understands that "assist" is not 98%, and so your statement is a crystal clear accusation that the entrants have violated the rules. I don't for a minute believe that's the case.

Now, ladies and gents, let's get back to encouraging our young friends!

Last edited:

The Penguin

well then, don't vote and go find some other thread to dump on.

nobody will miss your vote, or your comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Hansen

Just a comment on the youth of today. I taught advanced graduate students at a major university on the East Coast for over 30 years. When I retired my local church group asked if I would teach in Primary (young children under 12). Our class was all the 9 year olds. One day as an attention getter I gave them a logic problem that usually stumped my Master's level graduate students. Within 30 seconds two of the eight children had the correct answer!! I was stunned with how intelligent, caring, and inquisitive today's youth can be. Our youth today have more serious challenges and opportunities than we did growing up in the 40's and 50's. I think when we take a more careful look at who they are and their potential to make positive contributions to our world we will be proud of them. It is truly a privilege to teach and mentor them. These wonderful pens are examples of what todays youth can do when given access to the tools and guidance of adults who truly care about the rising generation.

Dr. Larry J. Hansen
Old Retired Guy Living In Paradise
Santa Clara, Utah

Hendu3270

Just a comment on the youth of today. I taught advanced graduate students at a major university on the East Coast for over 30 years. When I retired my local church group asked if I would teach in Primary (young children under 12). Our class was all the 9 year olds. One day as an attention getter I gave them a logic problem that usually stumped my Master's level graduate students. Within 30 seconds two of the eight children had the correct answer!! I was stunned with how intelligent, caring, and inquisitive today's youth can be. Our youth today have more serious challenges and opportunities than we did growing up in the 40's and 50's. I think when we take a more careful look at who they are and their potential to make positive contributions to our world we will be proud of them. It is truly a privilege to teach and mentor them. These wonderful pens are examples of what todays youth can do when given access to the tools and guidance of adults who truly care about the rising generation.

Dr. Larry J. Hansen
Old Retired Guy Living In Paradise
Santa Clara, Utah

Well put Larry. But I'm a little irritated that you didn't let us try the logic problem....lol

Oh and welcome to the forum :good:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I glad he didnt let us try the logic problem, remember the old saying ( I know you do) about keeping ones mouth shut and thought to be a fool rather than opening it and removing all doubt! lets not embarrass ourselves any more than we have to.

And yes welcome to the forum larry

The Penguin

I glad he didnt let us try the logic problem, remember the old saying ( I know you do) about keeping ones mouth shut and thought to be a fool rather than opening it and removing all doubt! lets not embarrass ourselves any more than we have to.

And yes welcome to the forum larry
it doesn't have anything to do with an airplane and a conveyor belt does it?

LOL

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Tough choices. I went with design, degree of difficulty and, over all appearance. Each pen is a winner in my book. Nice work!

longbeard

These pens are great. All the kids involved are winners. Very hard to pick just one though.

I may have to adopt a child for next years contest cause I'm pretty sure i wouldnt qualify as a youth anymore.

Harry

clieb91

All of these pens look great. My daughter decided that she would select the pen to vote on and informed me that it would not be hers. After careful review of all pens she has made her choice.

Congrats to all of the kids, parents/grand parents that entered this contest you all should be proud. I know I am :)

Thank you for the organization of this event.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
All of you voting do know that this is just the elimination round, right. Your going to have to do it all over again and it will be even Harder!:eek:

Lenny

What a nice collection of pens! You should all be very proud!

It's going to take me some time to figure out which one to vote for ... but I will pick one. Great job everyone!

alphageek

Former Moderator
All of these pens look great. My daughter decided that she would select the pen to vote on and informed me that it would not be hers. After careful review of all pens she has made her choice.

Congrats to all of the kids, parents/grand parents that entered this contest you all should be proud. I know I am :)

Thank you for the organization of this event.

Good for her! Thats showing an extra amount of class. I hope all of the entrants realize that although there is prizes, they already got the best prize by making the pen (especially the family bonding that went with it!).

brownsfn2

About three years ago when I first started turning pens I made a pen for both of my kids. They wanted to try the turning themselves. So I helped them steady the tools, remain safe, and turn them. They loved watching the ribbons of acrylic come off of the turning.

I can't get them near the lathe now. "It's boring". :)

These are really nice entries!! Every parent that spent time with there kid doing these have already received their prize!

alankulwicki7

Wow, the competition sure is tough this year. Like the other youth contest, I had a hard time picking a winner because they were all deserving!

Great job by everyone!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
there are some great pens to choose from. Over 200 votes and plenty of time to flip a coin and choose yours.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom