Uses For Old Blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

Anybody have a great idea regarding uses for old band saw blades? I've got one ready to come off my 9" Delta and thought I would ask before putting in in the City's recycling bins.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Can't you get it sharpened again? Theres a great old guy near me who sharpens just about anything. He does my hole saws and chassis punches. [:)]

Gary Max

You can make a really nice detail parting tool for small stock. The tool also works great for cutting thin lines for detail work. You can also make a chatter tool that works on end grain also.

woodmanplus

I use my blades twice. When they get dull,I have a secondary top that is 1 1/2 inxhwa higher than my saw table,made out of plexiglass,that slides over the table and anchors with two clamps. This puts my work at the upper part of the blade and I can get pretty good use on thinner wood.
I know that blades are the cheapest part of our equipment,but I was taught by granddad to use my equipment to its fullest.

Also I am told that I am a little on the cheap side.

Randy_

Originally posted by woodmanplus
<br />I use my blades twice. When they get dull,I have a secondary top that is 1 1/2 inxhwa higher than my saw table,made out of plexiglass,that slides over the table and anchors with two clamps. This puts my work at the upper part of the blade and I can get pretty good use on thinner wood.
I know that blades are the cheapest part of our equipment,but I was taught by granddad to use my equipment to its fullest.

I don't see how this benefits a band saw blade?? Are you perhaps talkinh about a scroll saw??

tipusnr

Randy. Looks like 1/2" 6-tooth (if I counted right).

Gary & Doghouse. Thanks for the tool ideas. The chatter tool has me scratching my head but I'm sure when I look at other chatter tools I'll figure it out. If you've made one from a bandsaw blade - a picture would be great!

Skiprat. Don't know anyone like your sharpening friend but many of the teeth are too rounded off to be sharpening anyway.

Randy_

Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />cut to piece, mount piece in wood, use as cut off tool after grinding off the teeth. next piece, grind off teeth, turn 90 degrees = chatter tool

And you could probably use the back(non-tooth) edge of the same tool to apply narrow decorative burn rings to an item??

olsenla

Tip,

I don't know about using a bandsaw blade, but the latest issue (March 2007) of Wood magazine has an article on making a chatter tool from a jigsaw blade. I haven't checked, but they are also supposed to have an online video of its use on their website (woodmagazine.com).

Larry

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by woodmanplus
<br />I use my blades twice. When they get dull,I have a secondary top that is 1 1/2 inxhwa higher than my saw table,made out of plexiglass,that slides over the table and anchors with two clamps. This puts my work at the upper part of the blade and I can get pretty good use on thinner wood.

[?][?]What? Explain this a bit for us.....[B)]

Randy_

Bill: There was a post not too long ago, either here or at Yahoo, that talked about sharpening blades at home using a Dremel rotary grinder and a small stone. Might be worth a try if you already own a Dremel. Certainly you couldn't make the blade any worse than it is now.

BigRob777

I broke a 1" blade, which gave me 131-1/2" of blade and I think I threw it out. I would like to retrieve it and use it for that parting tool. It's a 2 tpi blade. If my new blade ever wears out, I'll use it for that. It's a carbide and cost about $150.00. I've been using it for a year now though. I'm glad it won't go to waste. I may be selling detail parting tools in a year or so.[:p] Maybe you can use the back for the burn lines. I am kidding, by the way (about selling them).

I do think Woodmanplus was referring to a scroll saw. It's a good idea for that and for my oscillating drum sander (I know that's not the name, but I forget what it's really called). It only has a 1" thrust/rise. Thanks Woodmanplus.
Rob

Randy_

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />I broke a 1" blade, which gave me 131-1/2" of blade and I think I threw it out. I would like to retrieve it and use it for that parting tool......
Rob: If you can locate the blade and it is not messed up other than the break, you can buy kits for very little money that will allow you to repair them.....silver solder. All you need is the kit and a propane torch.

Dario

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Bill: There was a post not too long ago, either here or at Yahoo, that talked about sharpening blades at home using a Dremel rotary grinder and a small stone. Might be worth a try if you already own a Dremel. Certainly you couldn't make the blade any worse than it is now.

I did that post and it works well for me. I sometimes sharpen my blades 4 times before it finally breaks...or loose the proper alignment (since I do it manually) and starts to cut crooked so I thrash it at that time.

Randy_

Dario: Thanks for the tip and sorry I didn't remember you as the original source. I don't use my bandsaw very frequently so it will probably be a while; but I definitely intend to try your suggestion when my blade needs it.

I have one of those little flat diamond hones and plan to use it to touch up the carbide blade on my tablesaw as well. May not get back to factory new; but even if I get back to 85 or 90% that should save me some money as none of the local shop fees make economic sense for less than premium quality blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom