Undersize blank drilling Tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you have any blanks that are marginal in size but would like to drill them and are nervous about them blowing out, here are two ways to make them bigger.
One requires a table saw, the other just some string.
Both require CA.

The first is to add a box joint around the blank.Glue a thin piece of stock on the flat of the blank making sure one edge is flush with the edge of the blank.Let the other edge "run wild".It will serve as the edge for the second piece.Use the ca sparingly as you don't want the have it ooze out for on the surface of the strip to throw off the "edge" of the second piece.
Each time you proceed to glue up a strip, set your fence on the table saw to rip off the excess.
Continue until all sides are laminated with the scrap stock.
At this point you have a choice.You can either find center of the original blank and turn between centers to a cylinder and drill on the late after you have it small enough for the chuck you are going to use or you can square it on the table saw mark center and drill of the DP.
The second method I came upon by accident while making a plexiglass blank.
The first one I glued up blew out while drilling.The section that blew out was not supported by the Beall collet.
When I made the second blank I had turned it between centers but turned it undersized to fit the 3/4 collet.
I believe the blank needs to have "mass" to prevent it from blowing out.
I wrapped cotton butchers twine around the blank and drizzleded thin CA on the string and let it set for a while before hitting it with accelerant.
I then proceeded to turn to the right dimension for the largest collet chuck I had, 3/4".I drilled it on the lathe.
This may seem like a lot of work, but it may allow you to use a blank that would otherwise be too small to drill without blowing out but yet be large enough for the pen you are contemplating using it for.
In either case, You should make sure your method of drilling will allow you to drill as accurate at possible if not perfectly "dead center".
Hope this helps someone.

emackrell

Kewl. Thanks Eagle. I cleverly cut some home-cast PR too small (trying to get more pens out of it) and have been trying to figure out a way to drill it. This may do the trick. Grazie!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom