Pen Press. Anyone ever try one of these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ncseeker

That's exactly what I use. And yes it is VERY solid !!

I got mine at Harbor Freight on sale. I forgot what I paid for it, but it was on sale and cheap !!

jtate

Is there a reason for not just using your lathe and two scrap wood pieces? I've seen threads about lots of pen presses, modifications to pen presses, and alternatives to pen presses but I haven't seen where anyone talks about just using the one piece of equipment we all have - the lathe. I've done this by just holding the pen parts together, adjusting the tailstock against one end of the assembly and then cranking the handle till the parts are seated together well (snug but not too snug). I usually have a scrap piece screwed onto the faceplate and have the faceplate on the headstock - on less thing to hold onto.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jtate
<br />Is there a reason for not just using your lathe and two scrap wood pieces? I've seen threads about lots of pen presses, modifications to pen presses, and alternatives to pen presses but I haven't seen where anyone talks about just using the one piece of equipment we all have - the lathe. I've done this by just holding the pen parts together, adjusting the tailstock against one end of the assembly and then cranking the handle till the parts are seated together well (snug but not too snug). I usually have a scrap piece screwed onto the faceplate and have the faceplate on the headstock - on less thing to hold onto.
I can't see any reason why there would be a problem with that, some use a drill press.
In my case the pen parts never go from the house to the shop.
If I missplaced them in the shop I would never find them again.

jtate

So you do your assembling in the house?

I usually do too, in the floor in the living room while watching TV.
I use a beverage can squasher laying on its side in the floor as my pen press. Cost me like $3.99 or thereabouts at Harbor Freight.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
<br />So you do your assembling in the house?

I use a beverage can squasher laying on its side in the floor as my pen press. Cost me like $3.99 or thereabouts at Harbor Freight.

If you saw my shop you'd know why I assemble them in the house.
As far as a can crusher for a press, good idea, I have never heard that one before.
I have a paper press I bought from Grizzly when they were being closed out.
Just about the time they went on sale I was contemplating modifying a "piston type" nutcracker to make it into a press.

Rifleman1776

<br />So you do your assembling in the house?

Sounds like a very intelligent idea, and economical. To answer the others question: a pen press is extremly handy. Makes the work fast and accurate.

cozee

Yep, DP for me. My shop is in the basement. Stool at the bench. Frig and microwave. Small B&W TV for noise. 65" projection for when the races are on!!! Who needs a living room!!!

jwoodwright

In the 8 yrs of pen turning, I think I've tried them all and like the Arbor press best because of the steady, controllable power...

2006101031911_Arbor%20and%20Pen%20Press.jpg
<br />

richinva

Originally posted by jwoodwright
<br />In the 8 yrs of pen turning, I think I've tried them all and like the Arbor press best because of the steady, controllable power...

2006101031911_Arbor%20and%20Pen%20Press.jpg
<br />

John,

That horizontal one in the rear sure does look like a Rocket Nutcracker.......... My dad has one of those, was thinking about converting it to a pen press.

Rich in VA

jtate

When I was into book-binding I built a book press from a great big thick plank and a bunch of plumbing supplies. It had a T shaped crank on the top. Boy, that thing could exert somre kind of pressure! It squashed the moisture right out of books! I bet that design could be modifiled for a pen press. It had that steady, controllable pressure because the user was in charge of the cranking.

Julia

I use the arbor press from HF... only difference on mine is.. I added a block of wood with a little piece of formica between "toes" on the fron.. with longer pens you need to move the press plate aside and the little block prevents damage.... just have to press carefully.. you can drive the tranny too deep really quick..

I tried the press that PSI sells... first time I used it, the ram bowed and ruined my pen.. the HF arbor was cheaper anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom