PSI 60 degre live tailstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jerryconn

Not sure what you using in your tailstock presently, if you are using the point of a live center it doesn't match the angle of the dimple in the end of the mandrel, you need a 60 deg. live center for that. In time your point will be damaged and you won't be able to hold the end of the mandrel in position.
With all that said I can't answer about the PSI LC I bought mine from the little machine shop.

alamocdc

Al, I have one. The first one I got wouldn't get through a pen without locking up. The second worked well for almost a year, then same problem. I'm thinking it's the bushings, but I'm not sure. I just got some Norweigian replacement bushings in and I have to find a machine shop to press them off and on for me. I thought once I got the split ring off I could drive them off, but nope! I just hope I didn't waste my money on the new bushings.

chigdon

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Not sure what you using in your tailstock presently, if you are using the point of a live center it doesn't match the angle of the dimple in the end of the mandrel, you need a 60 deg. live center for that. In time your point will be damaged and you won't be able to hold the end of the mandrel in position.
With all that said I can't answer about the PSI LC I bought mine from the little machine shop.

Their prices seem good. How has your center from them worked?

Jerryconn

Mine has worked just fine. The only problem is that the MT is shorter than the LC that came with the lathe (Delta Midi) and I have to use the knock bar to get it out, but is no biggie.

Randy_

I have the LC(Std model#1189) from the LMS and use it on a JET mini. It has performed well for me and I have no problem ejecting it from my tailstock...... just back off on the tailstock handwheel and the LC pops right out.

chigdon

I was recommended to look at J&L Industrial by a friend (who sells the Keyless Chucks for those who bought one) as a place to look for HIGH precision live centers. They seem to have a very wide variance in price but some of the modest priced ones look like they are worthwhile.

http://www.jlindustrial.com/endeca/searchResults.jsp?Ntt=live+center&Ns=list_price&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&Ntk=Keyword+Search

Two in particular peaked my curiosity.

One was their lowest cost center. It doesn't list the tolerance except to say "Close Tolerance" whatever that means but it does have triple bearings which is great for a center for less than $20.
http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/product.jsp?id=ECT-64002M&origin=SEARCH:KEYWORD&backtosearchpage=Y#

The other one looks remarkably like the Sorby live center set which runs $100 with the interchangeable points and it is less than $30.
http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/product.jsp?id=RTC-49904B&origin=SEARCH:KEYWORD&backtosearchpage=Y

And for those in need of a #7 MT live center with a tolerance of ± .0001" they have one for a little less than $3000.
± .0001"[}:)]
http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/product.jsp?id=RLC-10367C&origin=SEARCH:KEYWORD&backtosearchpage=Y#

But seriously, those machinists out there, I would be interested in your opinions of the first two for the price.

gerryr

Chris,
The second one you list is not a LC, it's a "point extractor" which is used, I presume, to remove the points from the LC. If you look at the full catalog page, that puppy as shown in the photo is $635.72.[:0][:0][:0] Makes the Sorby and Oneway look like bargains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom