Ugly Pen Contest - POST ENTRIES HERE!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wudnhed

I have been sitting around wondering how to do my next ugly. It was very cold outside today and I couldn't turn. I'm sitting at the computer having a soda and some peanuts and Viola!!! It just came to me, :D. I just glued some cotton in the cracked shells for support, wrapped them around the tubes and glued the edges. Cut the tube holes after every thing was dry and then assembled like a regular slimline with extra parts. Nib is brushed pearl, cb is gold, clip is copper and end cap is black. It's pretty ugly!

Scott

Becca! That is such an ugly little pen! Nice work! Crisp, and a little salty, with just a hint of encroaching fungal spread! Yum! And that's a nice touch mixing up the parts, so that no one plating will make it look any prettier! What kind of finish did you use . . . Peanut oil? [8D]

Scott.

OK Everybody! If Becca can turn her beer, uh, SODA and peanuts into an ugly pen, why can't you all do something similar? There's only a few days left in this contest! Come-on, lets see some more entries! UGLY PENS RULE! SG

Countach

Now that the ice is melting outside I am thinking ahead to enjoying the outdoors. What better way to remember that big catch than to be able to write about it.

2007121191558_Berkley%20Slimline.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Who's judging this contest??? (Yes, I could have read the rules and found out, but NO ONE ever reads rules, do they???)

I don't envy whomever!!!!!

The participants are showing extreme imagination!!!

Keep it up, folks!!!!!!!!:):)[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

mrcook4570

OK, here's my entry - 'WASTE NOT WANT NOT'

I could have done a little better on the fit and the CA finish leaves a little to be desired, but I got a little scared when stuff started oozing and bubbling (see orange stuff near nib end and white stuff near cb) upon application of CA.

2007121224115_ugly4570.jpg

Scott

Evan! Oh, that is nasty looking! Kind of slimy, yet with a strong Scorpion aftertaste! I bet the fish will love it â€" I know I do!

And Stan, that looks positively crunchy! You definitely got some of that Mad-Scientist, out-of-control, chemical-reaction action going on! This has got to be a contender in that “Just Butt Ugly†category!!! Nice CA finish though! [:p]

Hey Ed â€" Who’s the judge? I dunno! I was thinking about inviting a bunch of winos over and getting them liquored-up, then showing them the pictures; but I don’t want to be cleaning the place up after the retching starts! Butt Seriously, the identity of the judges is top-secret, heck, I may not even know them! And after judging this contest, I’m sure they’ll start claiming not to know me, either! [8D]

Scott.

angboy

OK, since everyone wants to know who the judges are so bad, I'll confess... I'm one. Now feel free to send me bribes, money's good, so's chocolate, exotic blanks, sierra pen kits, CA glue, drill bits... you know, all the stuff any woman craves! ;);)

Hope Jeff doesn't see this post, I was supposed to keep it a secret... [:0][}:)][:0][}:)]

angboy

Originally posted by ed4copies

Don't believe her, she's in therapy half the time.:D:D:D

Good one Ed!! And it even took me a minute to REALLY get it... I am getting slow! :(

But here's a deal for you Ed- help me convince people I really AM a judge and I'll split whatever booty I collect with you! [^]

angboy

James yours is really going to look bad, not to mention probably smell bad, once it starts to get ripe and wilts. Maybe you can get bonus points for ugly smell!

Scott

James! You made it! And I have to say, that is truly odd! :D Maybe you can enter the same one twice - this one now, and a black slimey one in a couple of days!

Scott.

Scott

Geeze, Al! That is just rude! And to think, you turned that on your lathe! [:p]

Now as I mentioned in category C in the rules for this contest, I don't want this to turn into a ca-ca contest! So lets leave Al's entry untouched, as the only entry of this kind! Yech! Although I might be able to come up with an honorary prize if he were to include a picture of himself writing with this pen!!! [}:)]

Scott.

DocStram

Originally posted by Scott

Geeze, Al! That is just rude! And to think, you turned that on your lathe! [:p]

Now as I mentioned in category C in the rules for this contest, I don't want this to turn into a ca-ca contest! So lets leave Al's entry untouched, as the only entry of this kind! Yech! Although I might be able to come up with an honorary prize if he were to include a picture of himself writing with this pen!!! [}:)]

Scott.
Is there any way of my wife not finding out??? Actually, even I am getting grossed out by it. It was one of those things that seemed "funny" at the time. [:I]

RogerGarrett

This is the story behind this simple, yet elegant writing utensil:

I used a superior pen kit made by BIC - tried, true, and well regarded by many banks, Walmart Stores, and Office Depots from one end of the nation to the other. This particular kit has no option for a refill - due primarily to the high chance that the pen will be lost or stolen anyway.

Once I chose the particular grade of 3/4 exterior, exotic, imported, and highly sought after plywood, I used my chop saw to center the tag on the ply so that I could identify the wood to anyone who wished to duplicate. By the way - I have these blanks available to anyone who is interested for $5.50 per blank - inclusive of shipping in a flat rate box to anyone who lives within the continental USA. For insured packages, please add $8.00.

I used my Paul Huffman vice to center the drill bit, and, because I didn't have the proper bushings, I decided to leave the edges square rather than risk a blowout on the lathe - thus preserving the intricate look of the inlay (laminate).

As preferred by many end users, I left the wood unfinished - this will help add to the patina over many years of use.

200712522814_ugly%20pen%20resized%2020.jpg

Best wishes for a Happy 3rd Birthday IAP!

Roger Garrett

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by DocStram

If you ask me Roger .... your elegant writing instrument makes the Fido Pen look attractive.

Doc,

I'm sorry - I must disagree. ;) That is one disgusting Fido Pen.......and for that reason, I have no doubt you will win some kind of award - perhaps a special doggy cleanup tool, or a special assortment of ziploc bags..........

I am utterly impressed with your work!

All the best [}:)]

Roger Garrett

DocStram

Hey Rog .... that's not just your run of the mill Fido Pen. Why, it's a six sided, faceted lower barrel, bright copper Baron. I'm just hoping that BB doesn't look at this thread.

How are things at Wesleyan? By any chance, do you have any conferences coming up at Atlanta?

johncrane

Things are getting UGLY in the Wild West! Meet"DHARNYA" Native word meaning (RedGum) that's what l used to make him,He's a One Eyed long haired purple people Eater Also "DHARNYA" is a Multi purpose pen he's Big thats good if you have Arthritis turn him upside down and use him to dust those hard to get spots! want a shaving brush!he can do that too.

2007125153918_100_1972.jpg

2007125153950_100_1961.jpg

2007125154015_100_1980.jpg

jcollazo

Aw man.... the therapist said I didn't have to see him for three months.... and then you post this! The nightmares are going to start again! AARRRGGGGHHHHH:([}:)]:([}:)][8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom