Uds smoker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dogrunner

dogrunner

Ugly drum smoker but this one's not so ugly.

Attachments

• 20190429_195132.jpg
    20190429_195132.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tt1106

Beautiful. I have 2 drums ready to go, but my wife bought me an electric smoker. Which was super sweet and ultimately led to her ending her 25 year run as a vegetarian in favor of being a Pigaterian.
my UDS is waiting until this one dies off. Lol.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Nice looking smoker. What is the function of the side gray pipes?

A friend put his exhaust vent below the level to the grill grates. Everyone says it will be hard for the smoke to escape. He replies: "I know; That's why I call it a smoker!"

I made my first smoker back in '73 and still have it. Made from a tractor butane tank - 5/16' steel. Hand regulated air and smoke outlet. I upgraded it last year with 1" of high temp fiberglass insulation inside and a shield of 1/16" steel. Works great when the temps are at freezing too.

I have a Kamado grill also (had one of those when I lived overseas and bought one when I came back.) I have an electronic regulator/air blower on it to keep the temps constant. Works great, but I still get better smoking from the home made one.

Last edited:

dogrunner

Nice looking smoker. What is the function of the side gray pipes?

A friend put his exhaust vent below the level to the grill grates. Everyone says it will be hard for the smoke to escape. He replies: "I know; That's why I call it a smoker!"

I made my first smoker back in '73 and still have it. Made from a tractor butane tank - 5/16' steel. Hand regulated air and smoke outlet. I upgraded it last year with 1" of high temp fiberglass insulation inside and a shield of 1/16" steel. Works great when the temps are at freezing too.

I have a Kamado grill also (had one of those when I lived overseas and bought one when I came back.) I have an electronic regulator/air blower on it to keep the temps constant. Works great, but I still get better smoking from the home made one.
The side pipes control the air in which controls the temperature it runs at

You can last year in the polar vortex it was 35 below I made ribs

35 below is cold. We've hit 40 below a few times but we stay inside at about 25 below. My problems not the cold, it's the darned wind, the Chinooks. You don't strap it down and it blows to the next county. Last year I lost my big and very heavy stainless steel Bar-b-que to a wind gust. Hit 80mph and I was waiting for the roof to raise. My neighbor lost his "wind proof" green house. He was picking up pieces of the panels that were stuck 35' up in trees. It was something to see.

leehljp

Member Liaison
One thing I have learned is that the distance from the fire to the meat is very important. IN my kamado grill, the distance from the fire to the meat is about 12 inches. Even with a diffuser/shield to keep the fire/heat from going direct to the meat, 12 inches is too close to the heat source. My old grill, the charcoal/wood is about 18 to 20 inches below the grate, which lets me keep a steady temp at the meat in the 180° - 185° temp range without it going out. In My kamado, the lowest I can keep a steady temp without going out is 200°, but I have to watch it close. Slower cooking and more smoke! Love it.

I grew up with a couple of friends whose dads used old refrigerators and low temps and smoking over 24 to 36 hours.

While I usually do ribs and shoulders/butts, thick steaks and chicken/turkeys, today I smoked my first "eye of round". Pulled it at 129° internal temp and it made the best, tastiest thin sliced sandwich meats. LOML doesn't usually like "pinkish" roast but she went back for more on that.

What thermometer do you use? I have settled on "Thermoworks" and found them very consistent, more so than others.

Last edited:

J_B

[/QUOTE]

Hank
Since you were over seas does your kamado look like these from a guy that used to sell them and ship from Calif.? I have not tried a regulator yet. They I purchased mine from had them made in Indonesia by some master craftsmen/
Big Papa K.PNG

Don Rabchenuk

Hank, Since you were over seas does your kamado look like these from a guy that used to sell them and ship from Calif.? I have not tried a regulator yet. They I purchased mine from had them made in Indonesia by some master craftsmen/

I had 2 of these once upon a time. Both #9's. Made some wonderful Q on them but alas they both cracked and I couldn't get Richard to replace them despite there being a life time warranty. But life goes on and now I have a stick burner.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank
Since you were over seas does your kamado look like these from a guy that used to sell them and ship from Calif.? I have not tried a regulator yet. They I purchased mine from had them made in Indonesia by some master craftsmen/

Mine was Orange that looked like the USA Green Egg; It was in Japan. I never saw any over there that was any color but orange.

I really like the looks of yours - the distance between the fire and the grill would make great smoke and lower temps at the grill level.

tomtedesco

7 AM here in Colorado and I am looking at pictures of some great looking BBQ. Now I have to go out and fire up my smoker even through its starting to snow and cold . Just to add some discussion to topic, what wood do you use? I use apple wood instead of mesquite or pecan.

dogrunner

7 AM here in Colorado and I am looking at pictures of some great looking BBQ. Now I have to go out and fire up my smoker even through its starting to snow and cold . Just to add some discussion to topic, what wood do you use? I use apple wood instead of mesquite or pecan.
I use apple and cherry

J_B

Mine was Orange that looked like the USA Green Egg; It was in Japan. I never saw any over there that was any color but orange.

I really like the looks of yours - the distance between the fire and the grill would make great smoke and lower temps at the grill level.

Thank you Hank. Purchased my #7 in the mid 90's from the guy that djrljr was speaking of. I have babied him and it has been the best. Was several BBQ competitions at work with my pork butts yumm. The lil wife an I love the pizza's and loaves of bread it puts out.

djrljr if you had the 9 I heard they had a lot of troubles with them due to the shear weight I believe. I used to belong to a forum that the guys on there spoke of many 9's just breaking apart or their tiles just would all of a sudden just fall off. I have been trying to find a fire ring for mine. He is on his last leg and been repaired many times with the high temp fireplace repair caulk...ahhh its done its job though. If you here of a fire ring let me know.

Top Bottom