???turned a tendon???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I thought tendons were torn, stretched, sprained, snapped and sometimes broken. But turned? Oh, it should have been tenon...we turn tenons on our pen barrels. I can't count how many times I've read or even heard in a demo about turning a tendon on a pen barrel or on a bowl blank for use in a scroll chuck. Does this bother anyone else?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

bnoles

Don,

You think that's bad..... I have actualy heard them refered to "tenderloins".

I'm sure that person had lunch on his mind [:0][:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Great, I need someone to take the heat off of me as resident spell checker. [;)]

I got told in no uncertain terms sometime back that people came here to discuss turning, NOT for spelling or grammar lessons.

Still, it sends me up the wall when someone proudly speaks of selling an Emporer! [V]

Go for it Don! I'm with you on this issue.

Insert for ed4copies: "don, Dont yau thunk dis speling stuf aren't reely impotent? near evvybudy noo whut i meanz iven thoo i hav trooble spelinn kat." [:D][}:)][:D]

reef12

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Great, I need someone to take the heat off of me as resident spell checker. [;)]

I got told in no uncertain terms sometime back that people came here to discuss turning, NOT for spelling or grammar lessons.

Still, it sends me up the wall when someone proudly speaks of selling an Emporer! [V]

Go for it Don! I'm with you on this issue.

Insert for ed4copies: "don, Dont yau thunk dis speling stuf aren't reely impotent? near evvybudy noo whut i meanz iven thoo i hav trooble spelinn kat." [:D][}:)][:D]

That is good[;)]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Great, I need someone to take the heat off of me as resident spell checker.

William, I for one support your crusade to keep the English language as faithful to the 'tooth' as possible.[;)]

-Peter-

clewless

Apparently, it bothers only those of us who spent years in the classroom and now can't read anything without looking at spelling and punctuation.[:D][;)]

In another group, we have a guy who thinks he's text messaging us...he was told about that immediately and in CAPS.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Yes, almost as bad as woodturners using a "scrapper", and the educated folks saying "we've gotta" or "we're gonna", or putting an "r" in prostate. And we used to think that "have got" was bad. It's enough to make my tenons ache.

In the end a civilization is recognized by its language.

its_virgil

I really didn't look at the answers to the trivia question. In fact, I was looking at several pen maker's websites and the word "tendon" continued to slap me in the face as they explained how these beautiful pens are made. I suppose I just overloaded. Or could it have been my frustraion with the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe the next trivia question could be "How many ways can the Dallas Cowboys give away a football game? Actually, I think we should communicate as well as we turn. Thanks for the support.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />You guys should have been checking the answers for the "tenon" trivia question.[;)]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I had no ideal you careed about grammer as much! This is another on that annoys the heck out of me. I know some very well educated folks who use ideal in place of idea.

its_virgil

Thanks Curtis. I have a check for you but need your address. I sent you an email earlier this week. Maybe it is in your trash folder.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />I had no ideal you careed about grammer as much! This is another on that annoys the heck out of me. I know some very well educated folks who use ideal in place of idea.

beamer

Spelling words wrong doesn't bother me nearly as bad as flat out misuse. Punctuation isn't too much of a problem for me as long as people put periods between their sentences and appostrophes where they belong. Beyond that, I am guilty of ignorance. :p

The people who use "ideal" instead of "idea" really kills me. Do they actually hear the L when they listen to the rest of the world speak to them?

There are some others that get called misspellings, when they're really a lack of concern for proper usage. We all know these words. Then vs. than. Where, were, we're, whir. Their, they're, there. Your, you're. These are simple details that are very important for understanding what is being said.

Here's a new one I've started to notice: Using 'a' instead of 'an'. I don't know if it has gotten worse lately or if I'm just catching it more as I get older. Drives me up a wall.

I try to call people on this as much as I can. I really don't care if they get mad. When they respond with "Well, you knew what I meant." it makes me want to explode. I sometimes want to reply "Why on earth am I responsible for interpreting your poor use of the language?"

To all the language misusers of the world: It's challenging not to make assumptions about your intellect when you don't appear to have a firm grasp on the language.

its_virgil

My original post was not about spelling the word tenon incorrectly..it was about using the wrong word...tendon instead of tenon. The next time the local news, the national news, several and various TV shows, commercials, etc are being watched, just count the number of times "I" and "me" are used incorrectly. Those errors stick out like sore thumbs and those using incorrect grammar are paid handsomely to do so. Rant over. I'm off to the shop to make a pen from pine cones. I've seen several the last few months and finally obtained a few. Report to follow soon.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Scott

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Thanks Curtis. I have a check for you but need your address. I sent you an email earlier this week. Maybe it is in your trash folder.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />I had no ideal you careed about grammer as much! This is another on that annoys the heck out of me. I know some very well educated folks who use ideal in place of idea.
Don! Are you paying people to agree with you now? [:p]

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Tanner
<br />I know, I wish this forum had a spell checker. I cut and paste into word and spell check before I leave a message.
It does. Click the ABC button on the right-hand end of the icon bar in the full reply window (not the quick reply box at the bottom of topics. It's very primitive, no auto-correct.

However, a far better solution is to use a spell-checker plug-in for your browser such as IE Spell or one of several others. The best solution is to use Firefox and its built-in spell checker.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The following mixup drives me up the wall: their - there;
Also : "Which 'vice' do you recommend?" "Is this 'vice' any good?" [:D]

I do go into bad gammar mode late at night. At that point, trifocals help put the cursor on the wrong lines when correcting and editing. [:eek:)]

All of this aside - I have a freind on another forum that has had several strokes, and sometimes things just go haywire in his questions or statements. It is a blessing to see him trying instead of giving up posting. Most people allow him plenty of grace.

pmichris

Ok gang I can't resist this, I am working with a team of Creative Problem solvers in a program called Destination Imagination. The team has to use homonyms in their presentation, in doing some research we found the following "Ode to the spell Checker" when you read it you will see there are no spelling errors just word errors.

An Ode to the Spelling Chequer
Prays the Lord for the spelling chequer
That came with our pea sea!
Mecca mistake and it puts you rite
Its so easy to ewes, you sea.

I never used to no, was it e before eye?
(Four sometimes its eye before e.)
But now I've discovered the quay to success
It's as simple as won, too, free!

Sew watt if you lose a letter or two,
The whirled won't come two an end!
Can't you sea? It's as plane as the knows on yore face
S. Chequer's my very best friend

I've always had trubble with letters that double
"Is it one or to S's?" I'd wine
But now, as I've tolled you this chequer is grate
And its hi thyme you got won, like mine.

â€"Janet E. Byford

Buzz

Saw a good one in the local real estate agency window this morning. It described a particular house as being in a "much sort after area".

You'd think someone in an office of 12 to 15 people would have picked it up by now. It jumped out at me, and I was not even wearing my reading glasses.

airrat

Seeing spelling errors on this forum does not bother me, and yes I still believe people come to this board to discuss pens, not to have their spelling mistakes pointed out. Thanks for the famous quote William, glad to see you can remember it.

I guess I have gotten to use to seeing all the memos come from management that are poorly written. If one of those really bothers me I correct it and send it back to them.

Jeff maybe you should triple the size of the spell check button so it makes life easier on people.

Kemosabe62

Being from south Mississippi, we're known to spell as well as these guy's: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1730016/posts and they're from Minersoda.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by airrat
<br />Seeing spelling errors on this forum does not bother me, and yes I still believe people come to this board to discuss pens, not to have their spelling mistakes pointed out. Thanks for the famous quote William, glad to see you can remember it.

I guess I have gotten to use to seeing all the memos come from management that are poorly written. If one of those really bothers me I correct it and send it back to them.

Jeff maybe you should triple the size of the spell check button so it makes life easier on people.

Tom,

I had forgotten who took me to task on this subject. No hard feelings, I hope. Anyway, looks like I have plenty of company that feels as I do. I hope we don't give you too many ulcers with our pet peeves. [;)]

Tell you what, post your pet peeve, (as long as it is not me and those like me! [8D] ) and I'll promise to be sympathetic.

reef12

So I thought this was about turning Tendon's[^]

Fooled my butt[;)]

I visit a site where half the words out of a couple of folks are enough to drive somebody up the Wall.

Easy words at that.[V]

No edacation I gues.[:eek:)]&lt;--- that is a joke.

mdburn_em

Boy, for a thread on penturning, this is an odd thread. After a long day at work, it's just what I needed. LOML had to come see what I was LOL about. she was afraid I would hurt myself. Grate grupe o' fokz.

wdcav1952

Mark, you are dead on, it is an odd thread, but I find it a fun thread. Like you, I got some good laughs from it. Since I come here to relax as well as learn, this thread is good. (or should that be gooder? [:D])

stevers

Hey Jeff, I downloaded IE-Spell. Love it so far. I'll let you all know how it goes in a few days. This is what I needed. I don't spell very well at all.
Thanks for the tip.

wicook

One that I've been threatening for some time to write an article about is what I not so lovingly refer to as "the death of me." I'm sure you've all noticed that the little word "me" has all but disappeared from the English language. The replacement for the direct object has become..."myself." Aaarrrgghhh! [xx(]

I'm with Jeff...Firefox has a great built-n spell checker, so I already know that my spelling of the last word in the paragraph above is not correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom