???turned a tendon???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Mark, you are dead on, it is an odd thread, but I find it a fun thread. Like you, I got some good laughs from it. Since I come here to relax as well as learn, this thread is good. (or should that be gooder? [:D])
Originally posted by beamer
<br />Its there goodest thread this forum have ever saw!
And all the time I thunk this thread was more better than the otherns[}:)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Sorry Doghouse just want to let Firefox users know, the spell checker Jeff mentions is in the 2.0 release. I had the 1.5 and could not find it. Updated to 2.0 and its automatic.

Thanks Jeff

its_virgil

Then move it to Casual Conversation. Seems harsh to kill such a popular thread. Let's go guys....take it over there. I'll start it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Doghouse
<br />Ok guys. This horse is dead, and it has nothing to do directly with penturning, (the forum it is in) so let it die.

edited for spelling[:D]

jjenk02

I know I'm guilty of a lot of these complaints and I promise to try and do better in the future. However I did not realize this was a place that you had to watch your P's & Q's[;)]

woodwish

I ignore most of the errors on here but as a teacher I do have a few that really are pet peeves-

"Can I go to the bathroom?"

"I don't know, can you?"

"huh?"

They other one is a little more a technical issue but as a video productions teacher it drives me crazy when people want us to "film" something with our video equipment. Film is a completely different medium. We can video tape or video record, but we do not have film equipment.

Or a recent one that I hear way too often is that their throat hurts so they ask for a "throat lozenger". What the heck is a lozenger?

stevers

How about, It's in the "draw". Last I checked it was a drawer.
I have a tendency to call all drinking cups "glasses". My Friends tease me when I have a "big gulp" cup in my hand and call it a glass.

airrat

well since this thread is able to continue, I mentioned to William in an email my pet peeve is when people do not use their turn signal. But then I realized that it is now an option with the vehicle. Must be an expensive one since so many do not have it.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ray,

You, my late mother and our pharmacist at work have me dead to rights on that one! If I ask the pharmacist "Can I call in a late prescription?" her answer invariably is "Yes you may." BTW, she almost has me trained!

woodwish

Of course sometimes students have legitimate problems with the English language, for many of mine it is a second language. If we are cleaning we use a mop to mop the floor, but if we have a broom we don't broom the floor? Why do we take our dirty car to the car wash but if we need parts for it we go to the AUTO parts store? We rarely use auto wash or car parts store?

Part of my classes job around here is we program the video bulletin board that goes across the school's ITV system all day. The most mispelled word, and from educated professional people, is congratulations. At least half of the time we get conGRADulations.

OK, one last poking fun at the English language and I'll go back to work. If it's broken we fix it. I have been broke before, and we have had the cat fixed. I am glad when I was broke I was not fixed!

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
OK, have to add my pennies worth here on the english language,

You hear it so often, even from professional people on TV & radio,
they say, "Can you tell me where the whatever is 'at'?"

And my mother-in-law who had taught high school English for forty years would _always_ come back with,
"between and the 'a' and 't' on preposition street.

By the way, for those with grammar skills as bad as mine, you never end a sentence with a preposition.

tas2181

My biggest pet peeve lately is the use of 'went missing' by the media. While I hear that it is completely acceptable for those who use the 'King's English', it just grates on me.

its_virgil

And: Old teachers never die, they just loose their class. This thread has become fun.

And how about some oxymorons: Fun Run and Government Intelligence

Look at this site: http://www.oxymoronlist.com/

Do a good turn daily!
don
Originally posted by Chuck Key
<br />Don,

I like this one [:)]

You can take the teacher out of the classroom but you can't take the classroom out of the teacher.

Chuckie

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
As a home builder, one that really gets me is a hot water heater. If the water is hot, it does not need to be heated. They are water heaters, plain and simple!

BigRob777

How about Jumbo Shrimp? I guess my trigger to insanity is the mixing of their and there. Almost every Delawarean is guilty of leaving off the g in fishing, teaching, etc. In college, I took a public speaking course and was havin' real trouble with that one, but I learned to say it correctly. After the course was over, I went right back to sayin' it incorrectly.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom